best protein blend for mps?

fitstar

Awards
Hi,

Wanna incorporate protein powders again, not drink but making a sludge with water for protein blends or with cream,oil, butter,... the thicker the better.
but most important is the effect on bioavailability, best protein blend for muscle protein synthesis?
I read the studies on casein&whey being superior to whey only but what about using just straight whey isolate as it is said to have the best eaa content/chemical score and making it slow release via adding fat like oil or cream for my main meal (dinner, do IF)?
lots of good reviews on pes select which is casein and whey...
what about truteinm a blend of casein, whey and egg? I remember cooper69 said that egg protein powder is not the best addition because of absorption plus I do not think that the egg quality is really great...
hmmm, the studies say casein, soy and whey is best.
so why not mix yourself a combo of:
Casein, add whey, soy isolate (non gmo), maybe even beef (i like the taste and texture) , egg, digestive enzymes,...?!
I am really confused if I should just go by preferance as I like beef best and add whey,casein or other protein sources or use a blend like pes?
but which blend is superior: casein,whey or casein,soy,whey,...
Please help :)
fitstar

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've had good luck with blended protein with whey and casein in it. Preferable I like PES select.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Study to consider for you,
whey/casein outperformed whey alone on hypertrophy.

Study:
The effects of protein and amino acid supplementation on performance and training adaptations during ten weeks of resistance training.

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of whey protein supplementation on body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and anaerobic capacity during 10 weeks of resistance training. Thirty-six resistance-trained males (31.0 +/- 8.0 years, 179.1 +/- 8.0 cm, 84.0 +/- 12.9 kg, 17.8 +/- 6.6%) followed a 4 days-per-week split body part resistance training program for 10 weeks. Three groups of supplements were randomly assigned, prior to the beginning of the exercise program, in a double-blind manner to all subjects: 48 g per day (g.d(-1)) carbohydrate placebo (P), 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 8 g.d(-1) of casein (WC), or 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 3 g.d(-1) branched-chain amino acids + 5 g.d(-1) L-glutamine (WBG). At 0, 5, and 10 weeks, subjects were tested for fasting blood samples, body mass, body composition using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), 1 repetition maximum (1RM) bench and leg press, 80% 1RM maximal repetitions to fatigue for bench press and leg press, and 30-second Wingate anaerobic capacity tests. No changes (p > 0.05) were noted in all groups for energy intake, training volume, blood parameters, and anaerobic capacity. WC experienced the greatest increases in DEXA lean mass (P = 0.0 +/- 0.9; WC = 1.9 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.3 kg, p < 0.05) and DEXA fat-free mass (P = 0.1 +/- 1.0; WC = 1.8 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.2 kg, p < 0.05). Significant increases in 1RM bench press and leg press were observed in all groups after 10 weeks. In this study, the combination of whey and casein protein promoted the greatest increases in fat-free mass after 10 weeks of heavy resistance training. Athletes, coaches, and nutritionists can use these findings to increase fat-free mass and to improve body composition during resistance training.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I too recommend PEScience Select, as a whey/casein blend.
+ leucine peptides...
Nothing not to like

That said, these are small differences, just eat enough quality protein to suit your macros

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
A whey/casein blend has been shown to be better. However, just focus on the bigger picture and hit your daily protein intake. If that is done with a blend, great. If that is achieved with just whey or casein, that is fine as well. I prefer blends because they mix thicker than whey. Not only that, but I pick up my powder when PES has their sales. The price is hard to beat. In the end, use whatever fits your budget, you have access to and whatever your taste buds like best.

Some of my favorite blends are:

PES Select
XF UP 2.0
CL Pronom 23 (the original version)

fitstar

Awards
Thanks.
I have ordered Pes Snickerdoodle and cannot wait to try it as I also prefer thicker powder!
Fitstar

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Let us know what you think!
Great choice, SD is addictive

JRob23

JRob23

Awards
  • Established
If bioavailability is of utmost importance, google "superserum julian bakery". Betancourt Nutrition also uses this plasma fraction in their Beef Standard.

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
Also,
ImageUploadedByAnabolicMinds1449856414.960203.jpg

Great limited time sale on a quality blend!

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Study to consider for you,
whey/casein outperformed whey alone on hypertrophy.

Study:
The effects of protein and amino acid supplementation on performance and training adaptations during ten weeks of resistance training.

Abstract

The purpose of this study was to examine the effects of whey protein supplementation on body composition, muscular strength, muscular endurance, and anaerobic capacity during 10 weeks of resistance training. Thirty-six resistance-trained males (31.0 +/- 8.0 years, 179.1 +/- 8.0 cm, 84.0 +/- 12.9 kg, 17.8 +/- 6.6%) followed a 4 days-per-week split body part resistance training program for 10 weeks. Three groups of supplements were randomly assigned, prior to the beginning of the exercise program, in a double-blind manner to all subjects: 48 g per day (g.d(-1)) carbohydrate placebo (P), 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 8 g.d(-1) of casein (WC), or 40 g.d(-1) of whey protein + 3 g.d(-1) branched-chain amino acids + 5 g.d(-1) L-glutamine (WBG). At 0, 5, and 10 weeks, subjects were tested for fasting blood samples, body mass, body composition using dual-energy x-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), 1 repetition maximum (1RM) bench and leg press, 80% 1RM maximal repetitions to fatigue for bench press and leg press, and 30-second Wingate anaerobic capacity tests. No changes (p > 0.05) were noted in all groups for energy intake, training volume, blood parameters, and anaerobic capacity. WC experienced the greatest increases in DEXA lean mass (P = 0.0 +/- 0.9; WC = 1.9 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.3 kg, p < 0.05) and DEXA fat-free mass (P = 0.1 +/- 1.0; WC = 1.8 +/- 0.6; WBG = -0.1 +/- 0.2 kg, p < 0.05). Significant increases in 1RM bench press and leg press were observed in all groups after 10 weeks. In this study, the combination of whey and casein protein promoted the greatest increases in fat-free mass after 10 weeks of heavy resistance training. Athletes, coaches, and nutritionists can use these findings to increase fat-free mass and to improve body composition during resistance training.
Was protein standardised both during supplementation and end of day? Do you have, or anyone have the FT for this?

If not ill look for it when im at work

From the abstract it seems the placebo was just CHO no protein supplement, one group 40g and the other 48g. Seems like it would tip in the favour of the 48g group from the outset.

To answer the OP - if you have a quality whey, blend or something of the like the difference in actual tangible results will be negligible. You can maximise MPS all day, but you still need substrate to build muscle with (I can maximise MPS with a BCAA supp but minimal hypertrophy from it).

Get one you can get for a decent lrice that tastes good and you're golden. If that is a myprotein, trutein, PES, etc etc it wont make any difference at the end of the day

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
48g was the carb group, the whey + bcaa vs. Whey/casein were equivalent at 40g

Looking for the text once home

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote

fitstar

Awards
Well, I LOVE white choco and mint is great,too!
so, any eu retailers?!