Best composition scales

Sheriff Morri

Sheriff Morri

Awards
  • Established
I am in the market for a new set of scales for the house. Just wondering what you guys use and how accurate they actually are.

I'm torn between the Garmin Index smart scale (I already use garmin connect for my running and workouts) and the Tanita RD953 .

As always, any help is welcomed.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
They aren't very accurate.

Also consider that body fat testing on similar devices is going to be even less accurate on a stand on only scale. They tend to "bias" lower body in the readings in the same (opposite?) way that hand held testers may bias the upper body readings.

Even the more expensive Tanita scales with handles or something like an Inbody are not terribly accurate. I should be honest in mentioning I have used both with clients (and still do) and for some broad sweeping changes they can be helpful with very general trends, but I wouldn't want to have one in my house measuring me every time I stepped on a scale (I feel it would turn into a mind-F).

Maybe if there are other components of the scale you want they could be worth it, but not really for the body fat testing. IMHO you'd be better off with just a basic bodyweight scale (mine is like $15?), again unless there are other features I am overlooking that you may feel you benefit from!

Sorry for such a long post. :censored:

Sheriff Morri

Sheriff Morri

Awards
  • Established
I appreciate the reply buddy. I know they aren’t the most accurate. What I’m hoping for is something that is decent and that will give me a decent base reading and that I can work from.

Have you found any that are consistent with their readings and at least show changes in the body composition

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have the yunmai premium scale and I like it. It connects to the phone and shows you weight, body fat, skeletal mass, visceral fat, water % and a few other things. The features are neat but as stated above I wouldn't rely on the accuracy too much. I will say I find it more accurate than the hand held omron bioimpedence devices.