BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Welcome to my iconogenin log.

A very big thankyoy to Iconic Formulations for this opportunity and also to cheftepesh1 for convincing the boss to send it to me all the way our here in Oz.

Before I begin this I should disclaim my possible bias: I am a fan of Iconic Formulations, and I have used Iconogenin in the past and enjoyed its effects. I have a favourable attitude towards the company for several reasons:
1.) The products are of high quality
2.) The customer service is awesome: I once had an issue whereby my order was delayed. I respectfully enquired via email and was promptly responded to, and given honest reason and apology. Then my order arrived just days later (remember I am in Australia where stuff from overseas usually takes 2- 3 weeks) with an extra bottle included. This is old school customer service - a rare quality in this age.
3.) The reps in here always speak their mind. There is no bs.

A little bit about me, and my current situation. 39, a bit fat but reasonably strong, trying to cut the fat but hurt my back. Recovering from 3 prolapsed discs, which I did at work trying to catch a large length of timber before it smashed a window. So far I have dropped a total of 13kg (29ib). Started at 112kg (at the end of a trest & sarms cycle), weighed in today at 99 (yesssss!!!!). I want to get down to 90kg (198Ib).

So, down to the nitty gritty. I have used 5 alpha hydroxy laxogenin in the past from a few different companies. I have always noticed, what I believe to be, a slight elevation in metabolic activity after taking it: a warm, slightly feverish feeling and a reduction in soreness - a 'warmed up' feeling if you will. In oral form, this feeling kicks in after about 45min. With Iconogenin, the effect is immediate. I love putting it on right after my morning shower, it's a great way to wake up!

So the hypothesis I am testing with this log is: Iconogenin accelerates fat loss during later stages of a cut for the Magoo rig. I will take photos and skinfolds at the beginning and the end, and track bodyweight, calorie intake and gym lifts while noting personal affect.

Stay tuned for Day 1 photos and skin folds.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Here's my latest progress selfie for the Magoo rig:

Reserved for photos etc.
magoo2 day1.jpg

Looking forward to posting a new one at 95kg (209Ib) and then 90kg (198Ib)!

Last edited:
BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
DC's list:
hairygrandpa rtmilburn SFreed Ulfhednar HIT4ME wesb2387 Tank999 DennisTheDane Juicedeez utz @BEAST73 @Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer @coltonwalker @Brandinooooo Sparkss @blueline438 lifted67 smith_69 Daehlluks FireTitan @alphagainz @ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 mmorso thebigt Dirty Dan @Bmac63095 TNlifting Matthersby @BloodManor @angcd3 habajaba mmorso cwages TheMyth lukehayd thebigt Oconns28 jalfrey @bloodnthunder jtmass Martyfnemec @christ83189 GrizzleB @BOSSMAN @chedapalooza @BennyMagoo79 @Brienn8989 Tbl16 @Bman1970 PoSiTiVeFLoW @Cgkone LeanEngineer @AntM1564 Newth SouthPawSD @christ83189 SkRaw85 flandersguy MrKleen73 Whisky @Cscott622 Hyde @bloodnthunder Newth love2liftkat stacy1212 RickyBlobby @bigbeaph JoePaul39 @adammorrow36 Rocket3015 swimfan65 Humble Marcia

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Nice beginning

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
DC's list:
hairygrandpa rtmilburn SFreed Ulfhednar HIT4ME wesb2387 Tank999 DennisTheDane Juicedeez utz @BEAST73 @Alpha1agreda LeanEngineer @coltonwalker @Brandinooooo Sparkss @blueline438 lifted67 smith_69 Daehlluks FireTitan @alphagainz @ChocolateClen justhere4comm matt8483 ryane87 nostrum420 mmorso thebigt Dirty Dan @Bmac63095 TNlifting Matthersby @BloodManor @angcd3 habajaba mmorso cwages TheMyth lukehayd thebigt Oconns28 jalfrey @bloodnthunder jtmass Martyfnemec @christ83189 GrizzleB @BOSSMAN @chedapalooza @BennyMagoo79 @Brienn8989 Tbl16 @Bman1970 PoSiTiVeFLoW @Cgkone LeanEngineer @AntM1564 Newth SouthPawSD @christ83189 SkRaw85 flandersguy MrKleen73 Whisky @Cscott622 Hyde @bloodnthunder Newth love2liftkat stacy1212 RickyBlobby @bigbeaph JoePaul39 @adammorrow36 Rocket3015 swimfan65 Humble Marcia
Except you forgot DC. LOL. By the way, I'm in.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wishing you well bro, and thanks for the invitation! Love that company too, and the delivery system should be quite good for the compound.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Day 1: A New Beginning (Is that a Star Wars Movie?)

Applied 4 pumps after my morning shower today, and set about finishing off a few jobs left over from my week's work, then physio at midday (its Saturday here). I am feeling that warmth, the Laxogenin Fever, even now 7hrs later, and I am at the gym starting my long road back to my goal of 600Ib deadlift, 600Ib squat.

Here it is, Day 1 Magoo2.0:
Overhead bench squat with a stick and unbracedc(i have to roll hips back and "shorten my penis")for 5x6 with 2-3min rests
Rack pulls, 20kg barbell, butt back penis shortened for 5x6 with 2-3min rests
Benchpress, not much arch, feet out in front, paused at the chest:
60kgx20, 100kgx5, 100kgx8, 100kgx5
Cable rope tri push down dropsets: dialled the weight back a few plate from where I was before my discs blew, just feeling weaker. Hit 3 sets with 25x8;20x10;10x10
Cable bar tri push down same weight as above.

Awesome pump!

bloodnthunder

bloodnthunder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Subbed

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hm.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Here !

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In on this!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
subbed...one question-did you stop that length of timber from breaking window?

btw-thanks for the kind words about the company and reps!!!!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Skinfold measurements and composition using 3 sites:
20190331_075702.jpeg

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ok, so a little bit ancillary information here.

Iconogenin: Looks like jizz, so you want to make sure you rub it all in before you go out for the day:

View attachment 181310

Thank god, it smells nothing like jizz, more like some kind of clinical medicinal product but not in an overpowering manner. It absorbs really quickly and you can literally feel the laxo take effect within after three or four minutes. My method with it is 4 pumps after the morning shower, and sometimes one more pump after my evening shower for a nice little evening warmth as I lie on the couch.

Other supplements I am taking in conjunction with the laxo:

Ashgwanda KSM-66 extract 3.5g: Bought this for my wife, but started taking this when I had to start my own business earlier this year after getting the boot right before christmas last yr. I think it helps a little with stress, but when combined with Neurostack, really boosts energy levels and libido

Neuro-stack: Another excellent IF product. I have been taking using this supplement on and off for some time, and last year I measured its effects with a series of blood tests and have found it to be highly effective at boosting dhea-s levels which gives the endocrine system plenty of substrate chemicals for hormone production. I use it at about a third dose, every second day.

Creatine: about 10g/day

Acetyl Carnitine: about 5g, twice per day. I find it effective at boosting cognitive function during calorie deficit, not sold on it's supposed fat-loss benefits.

Diet:

I am using a fasting method. Basically I start eating at about midday or later, and finish around 6 or 7pm. The benefit of this for me is ease of control, and the mobility gains from having an empty stomach whilst working. I have been doing this for a couple months now, and it has become easy to not eat.

Training:

I am going back to a PHAT based protocol for bench only. I will do 1x heavy session and 1x lighter volume session every week. Every second day I will be performing whatever protocol my physio sets for back and lower body. Eventually it will involve squat and deadlift accessory movements.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Day 1: A New Beginning (Is that a Star Wars Movie?)

Applied 4 pumps after my morning shower today, and set about finishing off a few jobs left over from my week's work, then physio at midday (its Saturday here). I am feeling that warmth, the Laxogenin Fever, even now 7hrs later, and I am at the gym starting my long road back to my goal of 600Ib deadlift, 600Ib squat.

Here it is, Day 1 Magoo2.0:
Overhead bench squat with a stick and unbracedc(i have to roll hips back and "shorten my penis")for 5x6 with 2-3min rests
Rack pulls, 20kg barbell, butt back penis shortened for 5x6 with 2-3min rests
Benchpress, not much arch, feet out in front, paused at the chest:
60kgx20, 100kgx5, 100kgx8, 100kgx5
Cable rope tri push down dropsets: dialled the weight back a few plate from where I was before my discs blew, just feeling weaker. Hit 3 sets with 25x8;20x10;10x10
Cable bar tri push down same weight as above.

Awesome pump!
you doing any cardio? best bang for the buck is sprints, but 3 minute intervals of jump rope will definitely burn some cals!!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
you doing any cardio? best bang for the buck is sprints, but 3 minute intervals of jump rope will definitely burn some cals!!!
Jumping rope wears me out quick !!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Not really. I hate cardio, it just feels wasted energy. I work pretty hard on the tools 10hrs a day so my overall energy demand is quite high - I measured it once with a HR monitor using a random sampling method whereby I randomly selected 30 days over a yr and found my mean calorie output with a 'maintenance' diet (2850cal back then) is actually around 3600cal. These days I brlieve it would be lower as I am older and better adapted to working, however I have lost about a kg per week eating at around 2600cal on average.

I got no energy for cardio.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Monday 1st April

Weekend macros:
135p 200c 101f for 2278cal
107p 220c 157f for 3013 calls

Both days I fasted, and both days I ate lots of cheese and drank beer! That's what a good weekend looks like for me these days!

Today: rehab movements & heavy bench.
Rehab:
Overhead bench squats, no load 5x6
Rack pulls 20kg bar, 5x8 these are feeling waaaaay better - they were giving me pain 2 days ago.
Bench:
Worked up to 5x3 with 120kg. These triples were paused, with a half arched back and feet out in front. Felt strong and confident. Great place to start!
Seated bilateral plate rows 100kg 3x8
Lateral db raise 7.5kg 3x10

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'll check this out.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
“That’s what a good weekend looks like for me these days”
beer and cheese-working mans days of wine and roses lol.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Tues 2nd April

Yesterday I ate:
146p 136c 129f for a total of 2381cal

It's 11am, I am breaking fast (since 7:30 last night) with a microwave chicken satay meal. I have been hungry all morning - my appetite has truly returned.

Back was quite sore this morning, feel like I have regressed slightly, probably from heavy bench yesterday. Nevertheless, hit the gym, did back lol. I am trying a new gym that has opened up around the corner from my house, it has 8 racks so I'm seriously thinking about leaving my old gym, which makes me sad.

Today I did:
Wide grip pullup 5x5
Chinup 5x8
Preacher curl 45kg 3x8
Lat pulldown "75" 3x8 with a bottom pause.

Huge pump. Definitely better than usual on 2380cal.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wish I could take 2300 cals. I run about 1500 a day

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My gym buddy eats about 2000cal a day and can incline press 300Ib for reps.

He is also 50 but looks 30, and I reckon it's from a life spent fasting every day - he eats just once per day. Also probably genetics: he used to play in the NFL as a running back.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Low appetite?
Not sure why. Had some tests years ago and shows at 1700 plus I gain weight no matter what my activity is. I have learned to be good on that intake.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Wed 3rd April

Feel tired and sore.
Yesterday I ate: 119p 251c 100f for 2463cal

Second day at this gym and it is already pissing me off. There are no regular benches to set up in the rack and the benchpress here is ****ing rubbish matrix piece of ****. Not paying 3bucks a week more for this crap.

Today I did:
Physio workout but with 20reps instead of 5. Dont tell my physio.
Chestybro workout:
80kgbench 35kgdb press supersets x3 for 8;5
Cable tri push down supersets 3xrope 3xbar. Won't bother recording numbers, different machine and I will never do this workout here again.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You think about raising protein amount? Laxogenin is supposed to improve nitrogen retention and protein synthesis.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You think about raising protein amount? Laxogenin is supposed to improve nitrogen retention and protein synthesis.
Yes I do. I struggle with limited time and a vegan wife. I have 5kg of protein coming though, ordered last night, and I a. Going to stock up on beef today.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Also, I dont really believe keeping protein super high is necessary to preserve muscle on a cut - the average human body can recycle most of it's broken amino chains. It's definitely easier to maintain a calorie deficit with a high protein diet though.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Also, I dont really believe keeping protein super high is necessary to preserve muscle on a cut - the average human body can recycle most of it's broken amino chains. It's definitely easier to maintain a calorie deficit with a high protein diet though.
Guess it depends on the individual goal. On a cut, I want to build lean mass.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yes I do. I struggle with limited time and a vegan wife. I have 5kg of protein coming though, ordered last night, and I a. Going to stock up on beef today.
If you were trying to hit 300g protein or were the vegan I could sympathize a bit more, but 119g is a number that is tough to maintain tissue optimally on for man your size.

Everyone has time and family commitments - there are ways to make it work. 150g is only a protein shake and 2 meals with 8oz meat/fish (or an equivalent amount of eggs, tofu, cottage cheese, etc), yet that would be a 25% increase from 119g even. Pack a shake, a bowl of cottage cheese, and some pre-cooked meat (tuna, meat from the deli, rotisserie chicken) from the grocery if no time to meal prep. If on the road and flat out eating crap, 4 McDoubles and a 3 scoop protein shake from a tub you keep in the truck could yield 170g protein in 1,950 calories for the day.

I’m not trying to force this on you - I just want to help if you decide you want any ideas!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you were trying to hit 300g protein or were the vegan I could sympathize a bit more, but 119g is a number that is tough to maintain tissue optimally on for man your size.

Everyone has time and family commitments - there are ways to make it work. 150g is only a protein shake and 2 meals with 8oz meat/fish (or an equivalent amount of eggs, tofu, cottage cheese, etc), yet that would be a 25% increase from 119g even. Pack a shake, a bowl of cottage cheese, and some pre-cooked meat (tuna, meat from the deli, rotisserie chicken) from the grocery if no time to meal prep. If on the road and flat out eating crap, 4 McDoubles and a 3 scoop protein shake from a tub you keep in the truck could yield 170g protein in 1,950 calories for the day.

I’m not trying to force this on you - I just want to help if you decide you want any ideas!
I hear you. I just can't bring myself to buy a protein shake from the servo for 5bucks when I can get a kilo for 20bucks.

Edit: Also, 120g is not an average day for me, I think 140 is. But for me the consequences of cutting carbs are higher than protein, because it compromises my cognition. Once my powder arrives, I should be able to adjust to consume less fat and thus be able to reach a more productive balance.

No matter what I do though, my body is going to eat my legs for as long as I can't train them!

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Guess it depends on the individual goal. On a cut, I want to build lean mass.
I dont believe that is possible to achieve for me, or for that matter most individuals with a few years training behind them.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I dont believe that is possible to achieve for me, or for that matter most individuals with a few years training behind them.
Hogwash. It definitely will not be at a quick rate like a beginner, but slow and steady is something, even if it is a little here, a little there. Positive nitrogen retention through enough protein, through a few large bolus doses to spark mTOR/MPS, coupled with decent training, and you will build muscle. Muscle isn't built on fat or carbs, but protein. As long as you can get your body to not eat your muscle as fuel, you can build.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hogwash. It definitely will not be at a quick rate like a beginner, but slow and steady is something, even if it is a little here, a little there. Positive nitrogen retention through enough protein, through a few large bolus doses to spark mTOR/MPS, coupled with decent training, and you will build muscle. Muscle isn't built on fat or carbs, but protein. As long as you can get your body to not eat your muscle as fuel, you can build.
Dude, I'm not going to be building muscle by simply eating more protein. LIterally, it is simply flushed out of my body, once consumed beyond a certain level.

Lets get real here. Protein intake is wasted beyond a certain level. Now, if I was squatting heavy, deadlifting heavy and benching heavy on a proper PHAT program, I would need to keep my daily intake around the 180g mark to maintain muscle mass, and I would feel it if I failed to do so. I'm not squatting, not deadlifting, and hardly even benching (3 working sets at around 90% effort oncer per week and 6 working sets at around 75% effort once per week is far beneath my peak training volume), so I'm not pushing my muscle tissue to failure, and certainly not stimulating growth. I EXPECT to lose some muscle mass, and I KNOW eating more than, on average, 140-150g protein is not necessary.

On a daily basis, my body is likely catabolising some of its muscle tissue. This is normal on a deficit, and this tissue is reinstated when I sleep, so I am not concerned. If I starved it of protein over the course of a week, I would probably inflict a significant reduction of tissue, but having one low protein day is unlikely to have any effect in the long term.

I would also argue the case that, based on my experience, protein is far less important for building mass than carbs. You see, a high carb diet facilitates a high volume training protocol, and total volume progression is about the only thing everyone agrees actually builds muscle mass.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dude, I'm not going to be building muscle by simply eating more protein. LIterally, it is simply flushed out of my body, once consumed beyond a certain level.

Lets get real here. Protein intake is wasted beyond a certain level. Now, if I was squatting heavy, deadlifting heavy and benching heavy on a proper PHAT program, I would need to keep my daily intake around the 180g mark to maintain muscle mass, and I would feel it if I failed to do so. I'm not squatting, not deadlifting, and hardly even benching (3 working sets at around 90% effort oncer per week and 6 working sets at around 75% effort once per week is far beneath my peak training volume), so I'm not pushing my muscle tissue to failure, and certainly not stimulating growth. I EXPECT to lose some muscle mass, and I KNOW eating more than, on average, 140-150g protein is not necessary.

On a daily basis, my body is likely catabolising some of its muscle tissue. This is normal on a deficit, and this tissue is reinstated when I sleep, so I am not concerned. If I starved it of protein over the course of a week, I would probably inflict a significant reduction of tissue, but having one low protein day is unlikely to have any effect in the long term.

I would also argue the case that, based on my experience, protein is far less important for building mass than carbs. You see, a high carb diet facilitates a high volume training protocol, and total volume progression is about the only thing everyone agrees actually builds muscle mass.
I get you bro.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Your legs are hopeless right now, but I have been cutting off androgens right now and hitting legs 3x a week due to my bicep healing and I have made strength gains losing 1-2lbs/wk.

So if you have the time and motivation, I would definitely consider 3 upper days/week - it’s working for me at least.

Between the two of us doing just upper and lower, we could really be somebody