Bench shirt/Deadlift suit

amdd1124

Awards
Just looking for some opinions on powelifting accessories, specifically when do you feel it's time to invest in such things are bench shirts and deadlifting suits? Right now I'm 240lbs, max bench is 335, max squat is 355 and max dead is 405. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't start using accessories (apart from a belt and wraps) until I approach the 495 area. Interested to hear other's opinions on this, thanks.

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Well I'm not a power lifter so I might catch flack for this. I don't see anything wrong with using accessories to better your gains.

amdd1124

Awards
Well I'm not a power lifter so I might catch flack for this. I don't see anything wrong with using accessories to better your gains.
Thanks NG, I wanted to make sure I wasn't putting the cart before the horse so to speak!

NurseGray

NurseGray

Awards
Plus who cares what other think. You don't see smelly telling people not to use the sling shot!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMO, wait. My numbers are higher than that (at 225BW, and except bench) and I haven't touched knee wraps yet. I feel knee wraps will be implemented when I hit 500.

Gear is a different animal, for sure. I'd prefer to get the max out of myself before accessory gear.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Plus who cares what other think. You don't see smelly telling people not to use the sling shot!
Well, that's his income. lol

The sling shot isn'yt gear either. It's a tool to improve aspects of your (accessory work) lifts and to build confidence.

amdd1124

Awards
IMO, wait. My numbers are higher than that (at 225BW, and except bench) and I haven't touched knee wraps yet. I feel knee wraps will be implemented when I hit 500.

Gear is a different animal, for sure. I'd prefer to get the max out of myself before accessory gear.
Thanks! I've used the sling and it's ok, definitely a different animal than gear!

compudog

compudog

Awards

That's interesting. One of my pals said I should use knee wraps to help me get to 400. He's a pretty serious competitor, so I tend to take what he says to heart. My own feeling is, I think I need to learn how to use the equipment before I can leverage it into bigger lifts, and that's going to happen more easily if I start using it at weights I already feel comfortable with. I know it took a while before I could use a belt effectively, can't see how wraps would be any different. I'm ordering some tomorrow btw, along with a slingshot. FTR, I'm not personally interested in any other gear than wraps and a belt, but then, I'm a 48 year old guy who's just getting started at competing in PL, so I'm not out to break world records. If I was 35 it might be a different story.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
As far as using equipment, you want your technique to be up to snuff. But other than that I say go for it. If you're strong enough to bench 335, take some time to iron out technique in your lower body lifts, then get into gear.

I think people gunning for 500 before knee wraps is admirable, but in my personal experience people make gains on their squat faster when they get into knee wraps while they're squatting 335-365.

Basically, if you're just getting started in powerlifting training, hold off on gear. But if you're interested in gear, start sooner rather than later. Just don't spend too much time in your gear. A couple months of learning how to use your bench shirt or squat suit, then only use it once every 4-6 weeks unless you're getting ready for a meet.

What say you SweetLou321 and Rodja ?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
^^^ pretty solid advice. Knee wraps are nice, as are wraps. They are tools to aid in occasionally and knowing what federation you want to participate in can help iron out those details but as far as training I say those can only help. Bench shirts I cannot attest to as I have t used one nor do I have experience looking into it. I do however utilize blocks and fatgrips with it though. Just have to keep your eyes open and not allot the accessories take away from your primary focus

amdd1124

Awards
That's interesting. One of my pals said I should use knee wraps to help me get to 400. He's a pretty serious competitor, so I tend to take what he says to heart. My own feeling is, I think I need to learn how to use the equipment before I can leverage it into bigger lifts, and that's going to happen more easily if I start using it at weights I already feel comfortable with. I know it took a while before I could use a belt effectively, can't see how wraps would be any different. I'm ordering some tomorrow btw, along with a slingshot. FTR, I'm not personally interested in any other gear than wraps and a belt, but then, I'm a 48 year old guy who's just getting started at competing in PL, so I'm not out to break world records. If I was 35 it might be a different story.
Nice good for you! Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the advice. No world records here either, not competing for anything, just doing it because I love it.

amdd1124

Awards
As far as using equipment, you want your technique to be up to snuff. But other than that I say go for it. If you're strong enough to bench 335, take some time to iron out technique in your lower body lifts, then get into gear.

I think people gunning for 500 before knee wraps is admirable, but in my personal experience people make gains on their squat faster when they get into knee wraps while they're squatting 335-365.

Basically, if you're just getting started in powerlifting training, hold off on gear. But if you're interested in gear, start sooner rather than later. Just don't spend too much time in your gear. A couple months of learning how to use your bench shirt or squat suit, then only use it once every 4-6 weeks unless you're getting ready for a meet.

What say you SweetLou321 and Rodja ?
Thanks a lot! I think I'll try the bench shirt because I feel like I have the best form there. My squat isn't great....I'm the guy who used to skip leg day every week. Once I get better with that and my deadlift form improves I will probably move toward a suit.

amdd1124

Awards
^^^ pretty solid advice. Knee wraps are nice, as are wraps. They are tools to aid in occasionally and knowing what federation you want to participate in can help iron out those details but as far as training I say those can only help. Bench shirts I cannot attest to as I have t used one nor do I have experience looking into it. I do however utilize blocks and fatgrips with it though. Just have to keep your eyes open and not allot the accessories take away from your primary focus
Thanks so much for the input, I really appreciate it! No federation here, just my favorite hobby.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Unless you have some coaching behind you, gear won't help you out as much as you think it will. It helps, but it's not magic unless you know how to use it. For the record, it took me about 6 months in a shirt before I was able to touch successfully.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks a lot! I think I'll try the bench shirt because I feel like I have the best form there. My squat isn't great....I'm the guy who used to skip leg day every week. Once I get better with that and my deadlift form improves I will probably move toward a suit.
What were you thinking about getting as far as a bench shirt?

amdd1124

Awards
Unless you have some coaching behind you, gear won't help you out as much as you think it will. It helps, but it's not magic unless you know how to use it. For the record, it took me about 6 months in a shirt before I was able to touch successfully.
Thanks, I appreciate the input!

amdd1124

Awards
What were you thinking about getting as far as a bench shirt?
If I go that route I was thinking either the Inzer Rage or Denim, I've heard good things about both of them. Not sure if denim would be good for a "first shirt" might stick with the basic Rage to see if I like it.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Denim is pretty much dead these days from what I've seen. Rage would be a nice first shirt.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've literally seen one piece of denim gear at a meet the past two years and everyone was ragging on the guy (playfully).

bhawks23

Awards
Just looking for some opinions on powelifting accessories, specifically when do you feel it's time to invest in such things are bench shirts and deadlifting suits? Right now I'm 240lbs, max bench is 335, max squat is 355 and max dead is 405. I'm thinking I probably shouldn't start using accessories (apart from a belt and wraps) until I approach the 495 area. Interested to hear other's opinions on this, thanks.
Your bench is too light as of this post to use a bench suit. You need at least 315 just to get the bar down on a bench suit, so I'd say wait until you get to a 400 pound bench minimum. Plus bench suits are really expensive.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your bench is too light as of this post to use a bench suit. You need at least 315 just to get the bar down on a bench suit, so I'd say wait until you get to a 400 pound bench minimum. Plus bench suits are really expensive.
Not true at all. I can't bench 315 right now, but have gotten 501 in a shirt.

bhawks23

Awards
Not true at all. I can't bench 315 right now, but have gotten 501 in a shirt.
That's another reason I dont like them. They added 200 pounds to your bench, if you can't do it without the bench shirt then you can't do it at all. It's just for egos.
I'm all for wraps and **** but I'm against geared powerlifting.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That's another reason I dont like them. They added 200 pounds to your bench, if you can't do it without the bench shirt then you can't do it at all. It's just for egos.
Do you tell a pole vaulter that their jumps don't count? It's a piece of equipment that takes practice to use properly just like a pole vaulter.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
napalm

napalm

Awards
Says the man who knows nothing about geared lifting...

bhawks23

Awards
Do you tell a pole vaulter that their jumps don't count? It's a piece of equipment that takes practice to use properly just like a pole vaulter.
A bar is to a powerlifter what a pole is to a pole vaulter.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
A bar is to a powerlifter what a pole is to a pole vaulter.
You completely missed the analogy. A pole vaulter and a high jumper both have the same end goal, but one uses a piece of equipment. Since this piece is used to increase the height in which they can clear does it not count anymore?

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dude, you know nothing about powerlifting. You have no right to tell anyone what does and does not count.

Carry on.

bhawks23

Awards
Dude, you know nothing about powerlifting. You have no right to tell anyone what does and does not count.

Carry on.
So just because I'm against geared lifting I know nothing about powerlifting? Brandon Lilly is against geared lifting as well and he has the 13th highest total.

bhawks23

Awards
I never said geared powerlifting isn't powerlifting. I don't personally agree with it and I didn't mean for it to sound like I was bashing the choices you've guys made in powerlifting.

napalm

napalm

Awards
You lost any credibility with this...