Beginner question, do any supplements speed up recovery after surgery?

Jf014774

Awards
Hi,
I've been lifting for about 5 years seriously but have never used supplements (aside from creatine and whey). I've recently undergone shoulder surgery (arthroscopy) and have been given a 3 month recovery time (no lifting in that time) and I've already been out for 4 months.
Are there any supplements that people have found to be beneficial for this kind of recovery? I know it's a really basic question but I simply don't know where to begin with this, I've heard hgh can help but again can't find anything online that isn't selling it. What supplements have people used for recovery from something like this? And what has worked?

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Go for a lot of 45+ min walks imo. Low impact, gets the blood flowing and will contribute to your overall health/recovery more than you would think. After a period of inactivity(I've had surgeries in the past) I always start with walks to get me going and then start back up slowly with pushups/pullups etc.

Jf014774

Awards
Thanks, I'm going to hit the legs best I can and maybe arms if the tendons inserting into the shoulder are ok. I was just looking for anything that might help for a faster recovery. Or at least not make it longer than 3 months

carmaf

carmaf

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I'm going to hit the legs best I can and maybe arms if the tendons inserting into the shoulder are ok. I was just looking for anything that might help for a faster recovery. Or at least not make it longer than 3 months
Even on your "off" days I recommend walks as well. They will help you recover for the next workout that much faster.

Jf014774

Awards
Thanks, I'll need all the extra help I can get. Can't do many workouts anyway as basically limited to leg day only so was thinking more about best way of a speedy recovery supplement wise

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I know it's frustrating to have to wait, but patience is going to be your best friend. Trust your physicians advice and give it rest. There are no supplements that are going to make a significant difference.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Go for a lot of 45+ min walks imo. Low impact, gets the blood flowing and will contribute to your overall health/recovery more than you would think. After a period of inactivity(I've had surgeries in the past) I always start with walks to get me going and then start back up slowly with pushups/pullups etc.
I believe this is similar to mitochondria and how they have found people with high(er) cardio levels recover better due to this for cell reproduction. We have a surgeon friend that has been studying this and finding that his patients that tend to be runners or have a high cardio capacity heal weeks earlier than those that aren't. While that obviously wouldn't be possible at this point, exercise and getting the blood moving would likely help.

Jf014774

Awards
I know it's frustrating to have to wait, but patience is going to be your best friend. Trust your physicians advice and give it rest. There are no supplements that are going to make a significant difference.
Thank you very much, that's what I suspected but had to be sure. Thanks again

Jf014774

Awards
I believe this is similar to mitochondria and how they have found people with high(er) cardio levels recover better due to this for cell reproduction. We have a surgeon friend that has been studying this and finding that his patients that tend to be runners or have a high cardio capacity heal weeks earlier than those that aren't. While that obviously wouldn't be possible at this point, exercise and getting the blood moving would likely help.
Thanks, need to burn fat as not being able to train has left me looking like crap anyway

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
A natural anabolic supp with epicatechin definitely wouldn't slow down your recovery process.

oyvind

oyvind

Awards
  • Established
Hi,
I've been lifting for about 5 years seriously but have never used supplements (aside from creatine and whey). I've recently undergone shoulder surgery (arthroscopy) and have been given a 3 month recovery time (no lifting in that time) and I've already been out for 4 months.
Are there any supplements that people have found to be beneficial for this kind of recovery? I know it's a really basic question but I simply don't know where to begin with this, I've heard hgh can help but again can't find anything online that isn't selling it. What supplements have people used for recovery from something like this? And what has worked?
No bro' :) time will heal your shoulder and help you recover. Not supps. But fish oils are always good for you:)