Beginner Program

The Whizard

The Whizard

Awards
  • Established
What program would be best for a novice lifter? Looking to gain strength.

Stats
170lbs
5'11"
~18%BF

Mowglisml

Mowglisml

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The PHAT program has helped me gain strength. Google it if aren't familiar with it. I'm sure some others will chime in

LAH813

LAH813

Awards
  • Established
Strong lifts 5x5 is awesome. Will give you a base to work off of

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never had solid success with upper/lower days. I prefer more volume and don't want to spend 2 hours in the gym doing it.

That being said, most people will recommend 5x5. This lays your foundation if you don't get too caught up in adding too much weight too fast and sacrificing form for maybe 5-10 pounds more. 5x5 is truly a great starting point. It emphasizes some of the most important lifts as well as hitting muscles multiple times per week vs the standard 1x a week muscle blast routine.

My suggestion would be to start 5x5 and keep a journal with you (paper/pen or your phone) and log your workouts (sets/reps/weight). Try to increase that amount each week but don't sacrifice form. If you can't increase, it's ok. Try again next week.

The most influential factor here once the newb gains begin to diminish will be diet. Eat eat eat. Allow for some fat gain to come. It's ok. If you feel you are getting too much unwanted fat, add a little cardio or clean up your diet.

I'd also look at some articles on T Nation. Very helpful for all stages of lifters. Hope this helps.

Yomo

Yomo

Awards
  • Established
Rippetoe's Starting Strength is much better than 5x5 IMHO....but if you're willing to read up a bit and set foundation to base numbers off of, I don't think you can ever go wrong with either The Texas Method or a variation of 5/3/1.

P

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What others have said but IMHO, make sure whatever routine/method you choose, do and concentrate most of your effort on the "compound lifts" first and foremost and be patient and give the routine enough time to produce.

LDubs

LDubs

Awards
For a true beginner, I would go with starting strength. After a few months switch to an upper lower.

StatePlan1425

StatePlan1425

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Another vote for Starting Strength. Get the book. Also agree that once you are no longer a "novice" Texas Method or 5/3/1 are solid.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Also, whatever program you choose, stick with it and don't give up too soon. Results take some time. Just eat train and sleep.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
As mentions consistency and diet will be your greatest gain just starting out. You work to master those things and adequate rest then you will be able to transform and modify your physique at will.

Bcr50

Bcr50

Awards
What program would be best for a novice lifter? Looking to gain strength.

Stats
170lbs
5'11"
~18%BF
Hey bud. I helped a lot of true beginners. If you shoot me a pm, I'll be more than willing to discuss your goals and help you choose a program!

G

GAINZFORDAYZ

Awards
So I would give another vote for a basic 5x5 program. Maybe a day on and a day-off split with each day focusing on two muscle groups and 3 exercises per group. Each day and ideally muscle group should include a major/power-lift (e.g. bench press, squat, dead-lift, overhead press, curl). Based on how new to lifting you are and if you are not training with a more experienced partner I would recommend the use of machines versus free weights.

Not sure how beginner you are, but I think focusing on the development of a program should be secondary to learning proper techniques and form. I highly recommend training with an experience partner to learn proper form. For beginners I also feel that developing a plan that you enjoy and promotes the behavior of actually going to the gym to be best. I would not get to hung up on having a strict program and just focus getting comfortable lifting. Some of the most experienced lifters don't actually follow strict plans. They use techniques that align with their goals and lift based on how their bodies feel.