Beef liver Q

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
On the latter end of a steady cut and want to introduce liver into my diet. I’ve never taken it before and am having trouble finding good info on where to buy and how to consume - I’m assuming I can’t just go down to Whole Foods and buy that (or maybe I can).

Anybody knowledgeable about it that can share some insight?

And before I get ****, no I’m not doing this because of that meathead on YouTube.

Dietz1873

Dietz1873

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
On the latter end of a steady cut and want to introduce liver into my diet. I’ve never taken it before and am having trouble finding good info on where to buy and how to consume - I’m assuming I can’t just go down to Whole Foods and buy that (or maybe I can).

And before I get ****, no I’m not doing this because of that meathead on YouTube.
I don’t know if I can mention the brand on here, I’ll give it a shot with a hint and say that the abbreviation is AS, but you can find it on Amazon. The bovine supplements don’t come cheap at all for the real stuff but the company has a lot of good feedback and test results. There is a doctor named Paul Saladino who naturally, I like very much because he is a doctor that endorses the carnivore diet, nearly doing away with vegetables. Works for me since I’ve never ate vegetables anyway (serious). You can look his name up, I think he has his own stuff that is sourced well. I used one bottle of the beef organ, basically it’s a “natural” way of getting certain vitamins with different parts of the animal providing different nutrients. It’s very, very old medicine that is now re-emerging, hopefully it’s not just marketing and there is some science behind it, but unfortunately I can’t say I cared much for the bottle I used.

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
I don’t know if I can mention the brand on here, I’ll give it a shot with a hint and say that the abbreviation is AS, but you can find it on Amazon. The bovine supplements don’t come cheap at all for the real stuff but the company has a lot of good feedback and test results. There is a doctor named Paul Saladino who naturally, I like very much because he is a doctor that endorses the carnivore diet, nearly doing away with vegetables. Works for me since I’ve never ate vegetables anyway (serious). You can look his name up, I think he has his own stuff that is sourced well. I used one bottle of the beef organ, basically it’s a “natural” way of getting certain vitamins with different parts of the animal providing different nutrients. It’s very, very old medicine that is now re-emerging, hopefully it’s not just marketing and there is some science behind it, but unfortunately I can’t say I cared much for the bottle I used.
So am I wrong in thinking I can just get organic grass fed beef liverwurst by the pound and start incorporating that into my diet daily?

I hadn’t even considered liver supplementation

Dietz1873

Dietz1873

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So am I wrong in thinking I can just get organic grass fed beef liverwurst by the pound and start incorporating that into my diet daily?

I hadn’t even considered liver supplementation
I don’t think you are wrong, I would be very interested in that as an alternative if it worked. There is no arguing that you’d probably get much more benefit over the “recommended” serving of capsules. Some brands dose well and high, but very rarely. Real food always wins over supplementation. 15 minutes of sun exposure is much better than getting the same IU of vitamins d3 as cholecalciferol in a supplement, for example (I’m not taking things like skin cancer into consideration, just the nutrient source, but regardless, I think everyone should get 15 minutes of sun a day, full exposure, no sunscreen.). I imagine it works the same way with this. If you consider that even protein supplements are sourced from different things and are readily available, most people still insist on real food as a better source of protein, which of course it is.

AfroPope

Awards
  • First Up Vote

I don't say this disparagingly and I apologize if it seems like I am, but - is there a specific thing you are hoping to achieve by eating beef liver? It's quite easy to find at most grocery stores in my experience, I'd be surprised if Whole Foods didn't have it though I don't often eat it myself.

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
I don't say this disparagingly and I apologize if it seems like I am, but - is there a specific thing you are hoping to achieve by eating beef liver? It's quite easy to find at most grocery stores in my experience, I'd be surprised if Whole Foods didn't have it though I don't often eat it myself.
No worries at all. I’m interested in adding it to my diet for the myriad of health/micronutrient benefits. As for eating vs supplementing, I have no preference, I just assumed it would be cheaper to consume through food.

And to be fair, my diet has gotten pretty boring. Eating in a deficit with high % coming from protein for the last 4-5 months. Some things I would’ve hated eating in the past have now become more appetizing, so I figured I’d give liver a try

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
grocery stores do carry liver. I'd try for grass fed. you can go to a butcher instead tho

P.brow17

P.brow17

Awards
grocery stores do carry liver. I'd try for grass fed. you can go to a butcher instead tho
Yeah Whole Foods near my house has organic grass fed. That was my original plan. But I watched a YT vid of a nutritionalist discussing health benefits of liver and the first thing he said was, “and I’m not just talking about running down to your grocery store and getting liver,” so I didn’t know what to think.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
You can get it at the grocery store, you can buy whole packages of chicken hearts, livers and all that stuff too.

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you’re gonna eat it, get calves liver instead of beef. Beef liver tastes terrible.

And besides the b12 and iron, what are you seeking here?
vitamin a and lots of other micros