BCAA (specifically Leucine) and its effects on ketosis?

abidur03

abidur03

Awards
is to much bcaa bad, specifically leucine during your workout? does it really kick you out of ketosis? and is 2 scoops of protein post workout to maintain ketosis?..

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I personally take 3G of leucine pre workout and 10g of amino iv intra.

2 scoops of whey post workout.

To get out of keto you really need more calories to do so. Your good to go. I believe 5g of leucine is about 25 calories.

I train fasted as well

abidur03

abidur03

Awards
sounds like what i do. i take modern bcaa its 8:1:1 ratio. might switch to a 2:1:1.

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
If it's the insulin spike you're worried about, BCAAs produce a different kind of spike than carbs. Monophasic vs biphasic I believe.

abidur03

abidur03

Awards
whats the difference? and does it effect ketosis?..

hewhoisripped

hewhoisripped

Awards
  • Established
whats the difference? and does it effect ketosis?..
Haven't looked into it much. Some quick searching turned up:
"The insulin response of perifused islets of rats, perfused rat pancreas, or that of a human, to a square-wave glucose stimulus is biphasic, a transient first-phase response of 4- to 10-min duration followed by a gradual rise in secretion rates (second-phase response)."

So it's kinda what I assumed I think. Monophasic=1 phase, which is a short spike that only last a few minutes max. Biphasic means this short spike + a slower, longer lasting rise in insulin.

In any case I think that first response isn't too large or cause for concern. You wouldn't go hypo from 20g of BCAA. So I think for all intents and purposes BCAA can be considered to have no significant effect on insulin secretion.

I'm not going to even comment on the ketosis part. I've probably butchered enough science up to here.

kellyleon

Awards
Fitness experts recommends 50% Diet, 30% workout and 20% Supplementation.