Avoiding becoming “skinny fat”

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am 5 foot 10 at 184 pounds@ 21.2 percent body fat 40 year old. My goal is to get down to 15 percent prior to making the plunge into the world of methylated prohormones. I am currently on trt, but the doctor is still trying to get my trt dosage dialed in. I plan on running an Epi Andro and Ostarine cutting cycle after I get my trt dosage dialed in to aid me in my efforts. (I have my diet and training zoned in and have gone down so far from 28 percent body fat to 21 percent). The problem I have is while I cut just on natty supps and lose weight I tend to also lose a significant amount of muscle. For example, I went from 191.4 pounds @ 22.8 percent body fat and cut down to 183.8 pounds, but my body fat only went down to 21 percent (less than a 2 percent decrease).. This means I lost more muscle pounds than fat! Because of this, I feel if I should just look to maintain my weight and only cut while I am on SARMS/prohormones lest I lose more muscle. If I cut again just on natty supps only and lost another 7 pounds and only dropped another 2 percent body fat like before that would put me at 5 foot 10 at 177 pounds at 19 percent body fat. At this rate, I would lose so much weight along with muscle I am worried I would soon become “skinny fat”. What do you all advise, cut while only on Sarms/andro prohormones to preserve my muscle, or also cut while just on natty supps despite losing so much muscle and potentially becoming the dreaded “skinny fat”? I realize many here do not believe one should take any andros/sarms until at 15 percent, but if I we’re to do that at my rate of muscle loss while cutting I would be at about only 160 pounds at 5 foot 10 by the time I finally reach 15 percent! This would be “skinny fat” wouldn’t it?

Newth

Awards
I am 5 foot 10 at 184 pounds@ 21.2 percent body fat 40 year old. My goal is to get down to 15 percent prior to making the plunge into the world of methylated prohormones. I am currently on trt, but the doctor is still trying to get my trt dosage dialed in. I plan on running an Epi Andro and Ostarine cutting cycle after I get my trt dosage dialed in to aid me in my efforts. (I have my diet and training zoned in and have gone down so far from 28 percent body fat to 21 percent). The problem I have is while I cut just on natty supps and lose weight I tend to also lose a significant amount of muscle. For example, I went from 191.4 pounds @ 22.8 percent body fat and cut down to 183.8 pounds, but my body fat only went down to 21 percent (less than a 2 percent decrease).. This means I lost more muscle pounds than fat! Because of this, I feel if I should just look to maintain my weight and only cut while I am on SARMS/prohormones lest I lose more muscle. If I cut again just on natty supps only and lost another 7 pounds and only dropped another 2 percent body fat like before that would put me at 5 foot 10 at 177 pounds at 19 percent body fat. At this rate, I would lose so much weight along with muscle I am worried I would soon become “skinny fat”. What do you all advise, cut while only on Sarms/andro prohormones to preserve my muscle, or also cut while just on natty supps despite losing so much muscle and potentially becoming the dreaded “skinny fat”? I realize many here do not believe one should take any andros/sarms until at 15 percent, but if I we’re to do that at my rate of muscle loss while cutting I would be at about only 160 pounds at 5 foot 10 by the time I finally reach 15 percent! This would be “skinny fat” wouldn’t it?
You should be good when your trt gets sorted, muscle wasting should slow down.
Any natty test boosters wont work now either.
Honestly fat skinny is a imbalance of hormones imo.
This usually happens through improper diet.

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
It is my opinion that you don't have to wait till you are 15% BF before you start cycling. Do you want to lose 15lbs of muscle getting down to 15% BF or actually gain muscle getting there? High protein, low carb diet, caloric deficit and something that can be run for awhile like anavar, tbol, halodrol for 8-12 weeks. Or if injecting, something like EQ, masteron or primo or a combo ;)) for 12-16 weeks.

Newth

Awards
It is my opinion that you don't have to wait till you are 15% BF before you start cycling. Do you want to lose 15lbs of muscle getting down to 15% BF or actually gain muscle getting there? High protein, low carb diet, caloric deficit and something that can be run for awhile like anavar, tbol, halodrol for 8-12 weeks. Or if injecting, something like EQ, masteron or primo or a combo ;)) for 12-16 weeks.
Yeah this too, your on trt.
Why not just use real gear?

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Great work towards achieving your goals, JoePaul!

Here is my natty experience with weight loss and muscle wasting.

During three Keto cuts over the past two years, I minimized muscle wasting while on a low-calorie (800-1200 calories) Keto diet by not lifting weights during the cutting cycle. Lifting weights while on low-cal Keto causes the body to catabolize muscle for energy.

My weight loss has generally been 90 percentage points fat and 10 percentage points muscle. So when I lost 60 pounds over 16 weeks, I lost 6 lbs of muscle and 54 lbs of fat. Here is the cool part The body has an ability to remember where your muscle tissue was before you lost some of your muscle size. It usually only takes me three to four weeks of regular lifting to get my muscle strength and size back to where I was before the low-cal Keto diet cycle.

I’m currently 190lbs at about 13% body fat. Two years ago, I was 257 lbs and 35% body fat.

Of course, everyone has a somewhat different genetic, hormonal, and metabolic makeup so what works for me may not work for others.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck!

Humble

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established

During three Keto cuts over the past two years, I minimized muscle wasting while on a low-calorie (800-1200 calories) Keto diet by not lifting weights during the cutting cycle. Lifting weights while on low-cal Keto causes the body to catabolize muscle for energy.

My weight loss has generally been 90 percentage points fat and 10 percentage points muscle. So when I lost 60 pounds over 16 weeks, I lost 6 lbs of muscle and 54 lbs of fat. Here is the cool part The body has an ability to remember where your muscle tissue was before you lost some of your muscle size. It usually only takes me three to four weeks of regular lifting to get my muscle strength and size back to where I was before the low-cal Keto diet cycle.

I’m currently 190lbs at about 13% body fat. Two years ago, I was 257 lbs and 35% body fat.

Of course, everyone has a somewhat different genetic, hormonal, and metabolic makeup so what works for me may not work for others.

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck!

Humble
Interesting. How exactly did you keep track of BF loss?

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck!

Humble
Great job, Dude!

Did you take any anabolics (steroids, SARMS, etc,) during the past two years?
If so, what?
That's a huge transformation!

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. How exactly did you keep track of BF loss?
I use an InBody electrical impedance (EI) scale at my nutritionist’s office. It’s probably the most accurate EI scale available. It costs like $3,500 new. Of course, it isn’t as accurate as water immersion techniques. But the numbers do make sense. Once I can post pics on the forum, I’ll post the reports the InBody scale produces.

During my most recent Keto cut I lost 10 lbs. My muscle weight measurement on the InBody scale went from 91.7 lbs to 89.1 lbs., a loss of 2.7 lbs muscle. My body fat weight measurement went from 33.1 lbs to 25.4 lbs., a loss of 7.7 lbs of fat. I lost more muscle this most recent 7-week Keto cut than previous Keto cuts because I was experimenting to see if I could build muscle doing 200 push-ups a day for the last two weeks of the cut. I read an article somewhere (can’t remember where) that the body can use ketones to build muscle. Guess it was “fake news”. Silly me thinking I could defy human biology. Up till then, my muscle weight loss was only about one pound.

Thanks for asking Ricky!

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
JoePaul39 I probably don't need to mention....I wouldn't do any anabolics while the Dr is still adjusting your TRT dosage.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Great job, Dude!

Did you take any anabolics (steroids, SARMS, etc,) during the past two years?
If so, what?
That's a huge transformation!
Hey Renew,

It was all natty diet and exercise.

Thanks for asking!

Humble

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
JoePaul39 I probably don't need to mention....I wouldn't do any anabolics while the Dr is still adjusting your TRT dosage.
Yes, I am holding off. They just adjusted my dosage too from 150 mg a week to 175. I tested at a 600 total t on 150 and they want to get me to the 800 to 950 range. Hopefully that will help.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck!

Humble
Those are awesome results man! Quite an encouraging story. I bet it must have been hard to eat at a calorie range of just 800 to 1200 a day? I think I would be depressed though with no carbs and no lifting. Did you do cardio too even though you were on a extremely low calorie diet?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
RickyBlobby I have been encouraged by your results from your s23 lgd log. Do you ever cut when you aren’t running anabolics or do you look to just maintain when you are off cycle?

RickyBlobby

RickyBlobby

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
RickyBlobby I have been encouraged by your results from your s23 lgd log. Do you ever cut when you aren’t running anabolics or do you look to just maintain when you are off cycle?
I always use anabolics when I cut. And yes I typically just maintain when I am off.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I doubt the rest of the weight you lost is muscle. You probably lost a lot of glycogen and water. This is especially true if you’re eating low carb.

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
Cutting while not on AAS/PH's is very difficult IMO. I run into the same problem, I loose muscle mass and look flat. When I cut, I run something- usually for 6-8 weeks. Keeps me very vascular while looking full. If you want to dip into methyls - I would run Hdrol or Anavar like Ricky stated. Maybe even DMZ. DMZ on a cut keeps me looking so full and pumped, its crazy. Anavar really leans out your midsection like no other. I've never had a better midsection without Anavar. Does wonders.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
Those are awesome results man! Quite an encouraging story. I bet it must have been hard to eat at a calorie range of just 800 to 1200 a day? I think I would be depressed though with no carbs and no lifting. Did you do cardio too even though you were on a extremely low calorie diet?
Hey JoePaul,

Thank you!

Yes. I would swim 3/4 of a mile or power walk 2.5 miles each day.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
I doubt the rest of the weight you lost is muscle. You probably lost a lot of glycogen and water. This is especially true if you’re eating low carb.
Hey Thor,

Thanks for bringing up the glycogen weight!

My understanding is that the glycogen is converted to glucose and depletes in the first 3 days while on a low-cal Keto diet. Then the body begins using ketones as energy. And sure enough, it takes me 3 days before ketones show up in my urine.

So yes, the first week I lost like 8 lbs. After that, I was dropping an average of 3.5 lbs per week. That suggests my glycogen stores were probably 4.5 to 5 lbs.

Again, thanks!

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For me it’s about controlling cortisol. I was doing a cut and pretty much all of my cuts ended up on me being skinny fat. Those cuts were done with quick weight loss strategies and stimulants. This last cut I did I used NO stimulants whatsoever and cut weight very very slowly keeping a log of all of my workouts focusing on maintaining strength and progressing. Added in no new supplements except one thing which made a big difference. I’m always anxious. Always. I found out that I was severely magnesium deficient and started dosing around 600-1200 mg of magnesium glycinate a day. Slowly the sweaty palms started to disappear. Nervous energy started to turn to relaxation and I was actually able to fall asleep. I went from this pic to this now. I really do feel that correcting mineral imbalances made a huge difference. Specifically magnesium. I’m 32 years old.
IMG_9994.JPG
IMG_9993.JPG
IMG_0099.JPG
IMG_9926.JPG

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
Dude, what the hell did you take to get that ripped up? How long of a period was the first pic to the after results? Impressive.

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
For me it’s about controlling cortisol. I was doing a cut and pretty much all of my cuts ended up on me being skinny fat. Those cuts were done with quick weight loss strategies and stimulants. This last cut I did I used NO stimulants whatsoever and cut weight very very slowly keeping a log of all of my workouts focusing on maintaining strength and progressing. Added in no new supplements except one thing which made a big difference. I’m always anxious. Always. I found out that I was severely magnesium deficient and started dosing around 600-1200 mg of magnesium glycinate a day. Slowly the sweaty palms started to disappear. Nervous energy started to turn to relaxation and I was actually able to fall asleep. I went from this pic to this now. I really do feel that correcting mineral imbalances made a huge difference. Specifically magnesium. I’m 32 years old.
Amazing work! Congrats!

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
BlockBuilder just magnesium? That **** cray. I’m about to order a truckload if that’s the case haha.

And do you work with bricks, blocks, or pavers? Is that why you chose that name? I’m a laborer myself so that’s why I’m wondering.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I use an electronic scale for measurement of body fat. I know scales like this aren’t very accurate, but figure it could at least give me a ballpark that might just be off 1 or 2 percent.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I always use anabolics when I cut. And yes I typically just maintain when I am off.
I think I am just going to focus on maintaining as well when not on a cycle. The thought of the potential of doing otherwise and ending up at 15 percent at 5 foot 10 and weighing only 160 pounds having lost 10 to 15 pounds of muscle in the process of cutting just isn’t appealing to me. I have been cutting more often than not for about a year and a half to and it gets old fast. If I still lose muscle even while cutting while on cycle, then I guess I will just bite the bullet and cut constantly until I get to 15 percent and as Arnold would say look like a “girlie man” lol!

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Cutting while not on AAS/PH's is very difficult IMO. I run into the same problem, I loose muscle mass and look flat. When I cut, I run something- usually for 6-8 weeks. Keeps me very vascular while looking full. If you want to dip into methyls - I would run Hdrol or Anavar like Ricky stated. Maybe even DMZ. DMZ on a cut keeps me looking so full and pumped, its crazy. Anavar really leans out your midsection like no other. I've never had a better midsection without Anavar. Does wonders.
Yes, I am anxious to try a methyl. I only have 2 andro cycles under my belt. Unfortunately since I am a beginner I stocked up on the lighter stuff such as the andros and OstarineI have enough to run two 8 week cycles of each. I will have to run that first, rather than waste it. I had planned on running the andros and Ostarine separately, but at this point I just want to get all that stuff used up to move onto heavier things so will probably run them all at once. I’m 40 so time is of the essence. When I move onto methylated prohormones was considering DMZ or D Nol (Dimethendrodtenol). Is D Nol as good as DMZ? I know it doesn’t seem as popular.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hey JoePaul,

Thank you!

Yes. I would swim 3/4 of a mile or power walk 2.5 miles each day.
That’s amazing. Don’t know how you had energy on an 800 calorie diet. To be honest, while I know you have results to back it up, that amount of calories a day does not sound that healthy. At any rate, you must have incredible will power. About the lowest I have ever cut at was 1500 a day.

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
Yes, I am anxious to try a methyl. I only have 2 andro cycles under my belt. Unfortunately since I am a beginner I stocked up on the lighter stuff such as the andros and OstarineI have enough to run two 8 week cycles of each. I will have to run that first, rather than waste it. I had planned on running the andros and Ostarine separately, but at this point I just want to get all that stuff used up to move onto heavier things so will probably run them all at once. I’m 40 so time is of the essence. When I move onto methylated prohormones was considering DMZ or D Nol (Dimethendrodtenol). Is D Nol as good as DMZ? I know it doesn’t seem as popular.
Never heard of DNol. DMZ is the king IMO. Tried and true.

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
I remember Mithras...definitely will slab on weight. Maybe on a bulk it'd be good, I personally never bulk so I prefer dry compounds.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I remember Mithras...definitely will slab on weight. Maybe on a bulk it'd be good, I personally never bulk so I prefer dry compounds.
Ya, obviously at my body fat don’t have business running bulks yet, so guess that’s not for me yet. Do you do recomps and cuts only?

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I thought DMZ gives users a lot of water retention?

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
Ya, obviously at my body fat don’t have business running bulks yet, so guess that’s not for me yet. Do you do recomps and cuts only?
I recomp all year round and cut solely for 2-3 months. I personally hate looking in the mirror if my stomach isnt tight, lol

Newth

Awards
Humble I thought the same about muscle glycogen on keto too, until reading this the other day...now I need to learn more.
Keto: You're Doing It Wrong - AnabolicMinds.com
Possibly liver glycogen and electolytes with the water.
Also did you have any carbs at all and what types of vegetables would you eat?

BlockBuilder I'm firm on micros before macros.
I usually get a magnesium deficiency going into fall, water intake drops, headaches and cramps start.
Outstanding transform, how long did it take?

Humble

Humble

Awards
  • Established
“I thought the same about muscle glycogen on keto too, until reading this the other day...now I need to learn more.

Also did you have any carbs at all and what types of vegetables would you eat?”

Newth That was one of the articles I read. I don’t think it was a rigorous study. When I get the time, I’m going to get the primary research and review the methodology.

My understanding is that muscle glycogen gets depleted with resistance exercise and if you don’t replenish muscle glycogen with a refeed, the muscles experience catabolic wasting while doing resistance exercises (weightlifting).

Conversely, liver glycogen is in much higher volumes than muscle glycogen. And it depletes when there aren’t enough carbohydrates to fuel the body. Once glycogen is totally depleted, a switch is turned and body fat metabolizes into ketones as body (and brain) fuel.

That’s how my nutritionist explains it. Makes sense to me.

I generally kept my carbs under 50g and sugar under 20g. The 20 grams of sugar are just enough to “feed” the brain. The brain gets first dibs on any carbohydrate=>glucose before any other part of the body including organs, bones, connective tissue, and muscle. Fats were about 30g and protein was about 110g. All less than 1,000 calories, oftentimes around 800 calories. Lost about 60 lbs in 4 months. Remember, I was really obese (35% body fat) and in extreme pain when walking. I was headed for the disability rolls.

On vegetables...I ate lots of romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, raw mushrooms...and a one cup daily serving of either broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus. No carrots, sweet peppers, or other “sugary” vegetables.

More recently, I was at about 1200 calories for 7 weeks and dropped about 10 lbs. Lots of chile peppers.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for asking, Newth!

Newth

Awards
“I thought the same about muscle glycogen on keto too, until reading this the other day...now I need to learn more.

Also did you have any carbs at all and what types of vegetables would you eat?”

Newth That was one of the articles I read. I don’t think it was a rigorous study. When I get the time, I’m going to get the primary research and review the methodology.

My understanding is that muscle glycogen gets depleted with resistance exercise and if you don’t replenish muscle glycogen with a refeed, the muscles experience catabolic wasting while doing resistance exercises (weightlifting).

Conversely, liver glycogen is in much higher volumes than muscle glycogen. And it depletes when there aren’t enough carbohydrates to fuel the body. Once glycogen is totally depleted, a switch is turned and body fat metabolizes into ketones as body (and brain) fuel.

That’s how my nutritionist explains it. Makes sense to me.

I generally kept my carbs under 50g and sugar under 20g. The 20 grams of sugar are just enough to “feed” the brain. The brain gets first dibs on any carbohydrate=>glucose before any other part of the body including organs, bones, connective tissue, and muscle. Fats were about 30g and protein was about 110g. All less than 1,000 calories, oftentimes around 800 calories. Lost about 60 lbs in 4 months. Remember, I was really obese (35% body fat) and in extreme pain when walking. I was headed for the disability rolls.

On vegetables...I ate lots of romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, raw mushrooms...and a one cup daily serving of either broccoli, cauliflower, or asparagus. No carrots, sweet peppers, or other “sugary” vegetables.

More recently, I was at about 1200 calories for 7 weeks and dropped about 10 lbs. Lots of chile peppers.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for asking, Newth!
Thank you for the reply.
Something to consider when doing more research is gluconeogenesis.
Glucose and be made from aminos if need be.
To much or to little protein can effect calorie deficit dramatically.

YoungThor

YoungThor

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I recomp all year round and cut solely for 2-3 months. I personally hate looking in the mirror if my stomach isnt tight, lol
Glad to hear someone say this. I’ll never bulk again. My first year of working out I went from 160 to 202 because I got caught perma-bulking. And I’m about 6’1. I’ll forever be going in reverse. Muscle doesn’t look cool when it’s covered in fat. And I don’t have the genetics to be over 200 and look good and I can’t afford the anabolics that’ll allow me to do that.

mikeymike85

mikeymike85

Awards
  • Established
Glad to hear someone say this. I’ll never bulk again. My first year of working out I went from 160 to 202 because I got caught perma-bulking. And I’m about 6’1. I’ll forever be going in reverse. Muscle doesn’t look cool when it’s covered in fat. And I don’t have the genetics to be over 200 and look good and I can’t afford the anabolics that’ll allow me to do that.
Couldn't have said it better than myself. I look at these big mofos at my gym that are huge but look so ridiculous because they are at 20% body fat with a gut hanging over their shorts. Like bro, I personally dont respect that. Its harder for me to be smaller than you but cut. It demands more respect because I can cram my piehole with McDs and be 20% BF and be swole as **** walking sideways, that's easy. Cutting carbs and watching your calorie intake while maintaining lean muscle mass is the hardest part of our game.