Atractylodes - Double edged sword?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Little confused about this ingredient...possibly more specifically the Lancea Species after stumbling upon more info...

So the benefits of increased ghrelin secretion such as increased appetite, enhanced digestion, HGH secretion, plus the added diuretic properties are nice... but it seems as though this may come at a price? Not sure...

A few sources indicate that it also does the following:

- Has a desensitizing channel blocking action to nicotinic acetylcholine receptors (target neurotransmitter of many nootropics)

- Anti-angiogenic action in vascular endothelium (essentially inhibits formation of new blood vessels...not quite sure what role this plays in muscle growth)

- Inhibits NO production (I think we all know what this is)

Atractylodes--- Does it have health benefits?

http://www.tci-thaijo.org/index.php/TJP/article/download/36666/30532

Curious if people have any thoughts or more info regarding these findings and what role angiogenesis plays in muscle growth?

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well this got an overwhelming amount of responses...haha!

Maybe it is just one of those cases where you have to accept some bad characteristics along with the good...

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll see if I can find any more information for you, but it may be worth noting that some traditional Chinese and Japanese herbal combinations that are used for memory/cognition, and have some animal studies showing benefits, include atractylodes lancea, and I think one even noted that the combination was more effective with atractylodes than without. Now, that doesn't mean that it's really a cognitive enhancer or nootropic, but may help put your mind at ease that it shouldn't be something that's going to reduce the effectiveness of nootropics you're using.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'll see if I can find any more information for you, but it may be worth noting that some traditional Chinese and Japanese herbal combinations that are used for memory/cognition, and have some animal studies showing benefits, include atractylodes lancea, and I think one even noted that the combination was more effective with atractylodes than without. Now, that doesn't mean that it's really a cognitive enhancer or nootropic, but may help put your mind at ease that it shouldn't be something that's going to reduce the effectiveness of nootropics you're using.
Ok...great...thanks! I can't find anything at all about angiogenesis and weight training/muscle growth..