Ashwagandha product choice in regard with standardisation

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
Hi,

Everyone is swearing by KSM66 for ashwagandha since it's trademarketed and grants 5% withania, as well as an organic product.

But i find a lot of other products with better standardisation rates. I have been using Pure Labs Nutrition wich is a 20%. I am happily taking 3 caps a day, each one being 450 mg ash of which 20% withania.

So my question is : why would anyone use KSM66 and what are the best alternatives in regard with the standardisation rate.

Thanks

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Because KSM-66 has been very well studied for a variety of purposes and is also quite cheap

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Because KSM-66 has been very well studied for a variety of purposes and is also quite cheap
This. You want to be sure it’s HPLC standardization, as other methods can give you overly high readings, so yo wouldn’t be getting as much as you think you are.

Chamaan

Chamaan

Awards
Ok thanks, i will try ksm66 and see if i notice a difference.

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Again, this. Without standardization you don’t know what you’re getting. KSM 66 and Sensoril use different amount of leaves vs roots to achieve their desired effect. Sensoril relaxes you more. Personally I hate Sensoril, slightly too high of a dose and I feel way off.

For “other” ashwaganda I’ve had mixed results. An airport sleep shot had some in it that worked okay but a little head pulsing sensation. Swanson ashwaganda feels like it keeps me up when I want to sleep and makes me drowsy when I want to be awake.

After a lot of trail & error KSM 66 is the only one I’ll touch

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think the best type of Ashwagandha depends on what people are looking for out of Ashwagandha.

KSM66 would be my choice for hormone optimization and cortisol control benefits.

Sensoril would be my choice for stress, anxiety, and mood support.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Again, this. Without standardization you don’t know what you’re getting. KSM 66 and Sensoril use different amount of leaves vs roots to achieve their desired effect. Sensoril relaxes you more. Personally I hate Sensoril, slightly too high of a dose and I feel way off.
I like both KSM66 and Sensoril for their own purposes. I hope you don't mind me quoting yours. The reason I did is because you hit something right on the head that is important that a lot of people don't consider and that's that the dosage of KSM66 and Sensoril don't directly translate to one another because of the different way that they are standardized. Basically, people can't compare dosages and say that 695 mg. of KSM66 is 'stronger' than Sensoril. With these two, it isn't about which is 'stronger', its about what dosage is best dosage of them for the individual. For example, I think that 695 mg. per day is perfect for KSM66 whereas 125 mg. twice per day of Sensoril is great for stress management and mood support for me. (I have had situations where I was overly anxious and 250 mg. Sensoril worked well also).

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I like both KSM66 and Sensoril for their own purposes. I hope you don't mind me quoting yours. The reason I did is because you hit something right on the head that is important that a lot of people don't consider and that's that the dosage of KSM66 and Sensoril don't directly translate to one another because of the different way that they are standardized. Basically, people can't compare dosages and say that 695 mg. of KSM66 is 'stronger' than Sensoril. With these two, it isn't about which is 'stronger', its about what dosage is best dosage of them for the individual. For example, I think that 695 mg. per day is perfect for KSM66 whereas 125 mg. twice per day of Sensoril is great for stress management and mood support for me. (I have had situations where I was overly anxious and 250 mg. Sensoril worked well also).
I completely agree with all this and how they feel completely different...I actually can’t even tell when I take KSM-66, which I have taken in test booster blends as well as by itself.

However, a conservative dose of Sensoril definitely has a profound relaxation effect on me and therefore feels exponentially “stronger” than KSM-66. Given this, one would think it would be more effective at regulating cortisol (reducing stress response) and subsequently supporting optimal levels of other hormones.

Not saying I am right or wrong, just sharing my objective thoughts :)

Old Witch

Old Witch

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Because KSM66 is standardized not only to have 5% withanolides, it is also standardized to a minimal concentration of toxic withaferin. Sensoril is not, other standardized extracts are not. However, I would like to see a 98% withanolide A and 98% withanolide B extractive on the market.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Because KSM66 is standardized not only to have 5% withanolides, it is also standardized to a minimal concentration of toxic withaferin. Sensoril is not, other standardized extracts are not. However, I would like to see a 98% withanolide A and 98% withanolide B extractive on the market.
Sensoril and KSM66 both have good safety data on them. Both are top notch ingredients. I do agree that other standardized extracts likely have little to no data on how much withaferin is in their products.

From what I've read and the people I've talked to on the raw material supply side it would be impossible at a reasonable price to obtain a withanolide A & B standardization that high and that if it could be done, the price would be so exponentially high that people would be unlikely to buy it at that price point.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I completely agree with all this and how they feel completely different...I actually can’t even tell when I take KSM-66, which I have taken in test booster blends as well as by itself.

However, a conservative dose of Sensoril definitely has a profound relaxation effect on me and therefore feels exponentially “stronger” than KSM-66. Given this, one would think it would be more effective at regulating cortisol (reducing stress response) and subsequently supporting optimal levels of other hormones.

Not saying I am right or wrong, just sharing my objective thoughts :)
Good observations. I like both so I'm not partial to either and while I'm glad that KSM66 gets the attention it deserves here, I do think Sensoril gets overlooked quite a bit. Sensoril does have good data on it in regards to reducing cortisol levels for fat loss.

I think with these two, they are the best Ashwagandha's on the market and that between the two, its not a clear cut matter of picking the best, its picking which one is best for a person based on their specific needs and response.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Good observations. I like both so I'm not partial to either and while I'm glad that KSM66 gets the attention it deserves here, I do think Sensoril gets overlooked quite a bit. Sensoril does have good data on it in regards to reducing cortisol levels for fat loss.

I think with these two, they are the best Ashwagandha's on the market and that between the two, its not a clear cut matter of picking the best, its picking which one is best for a person based on their specific needs and response.
glad to see you posting more, steve!!!

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have am currently testing a 7% standardized extract by a Polish brand at 900mg a day and feel pretty good on it.

I also tried Sensoril and Ksm66 and can confirm what has been said in this thread.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Best brand of sensoril
Sensoril is a branded ingredient so as long as the company offering it is a reputable brand and selling real Sensoril any should be fine. I believe the last one I bought was the Doctors Best brand. Start off at 125 mg. before upping the dose to 250 mg. and see how it works for you.