Ashwagandha(KSM-66) and blood sugar

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I know it's not talked about much, but is ashwagandha okay to take long term since it lowers blood sugar? Wouldn't that be an issue? I've used it in the past and was fine, but the last two times I used it I noticed I got very hungry afterward. I just had my kidneys checked and they're fine and I don't have an blood sugar issues, though I do feel somewhat strange while taking it.

bigsmall

Banned
Awards
Sounds like your not eating / hydrating enough. And maybe its not right for you - if you feel strange.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
How much are you taking?

If you don't feel right after taking it, then don't use it. Studies show that it can lower blood sugar, but assuming you eat on a somewhat regular schedule there shouldn't be any negatives with using it.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Same as above. If something your taking is effecting you in a negative way. Stop.

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It’s in your head, if ashwaghanda lowers blood sugar it isn’t by much or it would be in every gda supplement because it’s not an expensive ingredient

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There are a ton of studies on it, some that used even higher withanolide content than what you'd get from 600mg/day KSM-66, and some of them used daily dosing for months, and I don't recall any of them listing this as a concern for what it's worth. If it makes you hungry, you could always just take it before meals, or with meals and see if that helps.