Guest viewing limit reached
  • You have reached the maximum number of guest views allowed
  • Please register below to remove this limitation

Article: Trap Bar Deadlifts

I love the Bear Trap! Great piece of equipment.
 
I agree that the article is a valuable piece of information for coaches and athletes, but the comparison to Olympic lifts is shaky at best. I went and read the referenced articles, and their subject selection was apples-to-oranges when compared to Swinton's study. Winchester used DIII athletes (no descriptive data other than they have >1yr! experience at cleaning) while Cormie used DI strength/power athletes (squat 1RM of 170kg, clean 1RM of 112.5kg). Swinton's study involved competing powerlifters with substantially higher strength numbers than I would expect in the other two groups (245kg SBD,265kg HBD). Also, I would expect their experience level to be much higher than college athletes when it comes to their respective lifts.As you can see, loading and experience will have a huge effect here. To make an adequate comparison, Swinton should have compared results to a more similar subject pool or to the numbers generated by weightlifters of similar competitive level (Garhammer and others should have data that fits this role).Don't get me wrong, hex dead lifts are useful in a number of situations, but I don't see them replacing Olympic lifts as the go-to power movements any time soon.
 
Good article. I'm planning to introduce my teen son to strength training for scholastic sports and this article reminded me of how good of a foundational tool the trap bar is. I used it in the past when I trained for sports and I can attest to how it benefits pushing off of the ground, grip strength, and core stability. It is also beneficial to beginning lifters who need to develop extra stability for squats. It's a very good auxiliary exercise on squat day too. When I had time to golf, the bar helped me with regard staying over the ball in a very stable fashion and gave me solid contact hitting down.

After reading the article, I'm going to make this a staple in my son's and my lifting plan.
 
Back
Top