Article: Should You Squat Deep?

good read i occasionally get sh1t for not going below parallel but I was born with misaligned hip and femur joints and had to wear leg braces for the first 4 years of my life so the fact that i can go 3/4 of the way down with 405 is pretty impressive.
 
Ever since I started doing Olympic squats (ass to heels) my quad size and explosive strength has gone through the roof. If your training to be an athlete or if you're quads are lagging I highly recommend extremely deep squats.
 
Good article, and I like the fact that it does approach this topic with a "yes, deep squats are best if you can do them, but if you can't, it is not the end of the world". I used to think weight was the most important part, so I'd load up 525 and do 1/2-3/4 ROM and didn't get the growth I expected. So, I went back to the drawing board about 10 years ago and unloaded all the weight with a concentration on form and ROM. Now, I max out at 375 with real deep ROM and in the 6-8 rep range @ 6 sets, and am stronger than ever.
 
Great article, I agree completely with starting beginners higher on the box squat until they have fixed their mobility, and muscular weakness to allow for lower squats. I will say that excessively narrow squats are not necessary. Olympic stance squats are best left to olympic lifters, the average gym rat or strength athlete should predominantly use a slightly wider stance, dependent on their leverages.
 
Back
Top