Article: Exercise Selection Myths

Fair points. Smith machine squats ruined my right knee and it makes me shudder when I see others squatting on the smith. Tbh I think fixed smith machines are horrible full stop! The 360 smith is a little better but really, what's the point in them?? Get rid and install a power rack instead!!
 
Yes but why does myth 1 and myth 5 contradict each other.

Anyway, typically speaking, machine exercises are much easier on the body than free weights. However, in some cases (smith squats), they can be more detrimental than free weights....
 
For me there are only a small handful of machines that are less stressful. All bicep curl machines are painful for me, shoulder press machines and most bench press machines feel unnatural and awkward, and as I mentioned before Smith Machines are the devil! When I work away, which is quite a lot these days, and I walk into a hotel gym with tons of machines and just a handful of girly dumbbells, my heart sinks! I don't think most machines have any real value in a gym. Yeah maybe they get a novice used to pushing weight, but for how long?? A month or 2?? I find machines put an awful lot of stress on joints and muscles that they shouldn't?! Free weights, though you often need to reduce the weight a little, are much easier on the joints as they are not forced into unnatural or uncomfortable positions. The only machine I use in my gym is leg press! And this is only because I can no longer do traditional squats due to 20% mobility in one ankle from a motorcycle accident years ago, it just won't bend anymore so I can't squat past parallel :-( There can be no disputing, you should always use free weights when possible. Free weights promote true strength and balance. Machines cause imbalances, weaknesses and injuries. Little girls and small children should be the only exceptions!!
 
Not specifically true to the exception of kids and girls always. I'm in the 300+/450+/450+ club all for reps of no less than 5, by no means great numbers compared to many; however, I have used machines for 3-6 months at points during rehab from car injuries, sports injuries, etc. The hammer press, hammer strength, leg curl, seated leg curls, shoulder presses, assisted pull up, leg press, abduc adduc, pulley, lat pull down, seated row, cable cross over, all are considered machines in my book. If it is connected to an apparatus then it is a machine though cables are quite different than being "stuck" in a specific position like traditional machines where they allow more natural movements.

But machines are typically less stressful on the body with a few exceptions of which smith squats is one of several. They are overall safer. I agree with you though, they can put your body into unnatural positions but that depends on the machine itself. All machines are not made the same. Different gyms will have very different equipment. I can vouch for several machines that kill my tendons at one gym yet give me NO pain at my other gyms. Several individuals that I train will say the same. It is all in the construction and leveraging system. I would NEVER advocate JUST using machines unless you are in a injured state or just learning some basics exercise routines for the first time. I would rather someone start with free weights.

Bodybuilders have used machines very often for decades, both natural and enhanced bodybuilders. Professional athletes use them consistently throughout the season. I once worked for the Atlanta Falcons franchise, I have seen these guys use machines on a constant basis. I love free-weights, don't get me wrong but I am just saying there is a place for them in all routines if someone chooses to use them.

Free weights do promote true strength and balance due to taxing the CNS, strengthening tendons and teaching us how to recruit motor units for a lift, I will agree 100% with you there. But, using a machine in your routine isn't going to magically rob you of anything.
 
Again, I am not disputing what you are saying but only adding that they can be used in specific situations and are used many times by people far superior in conditioning, strength, stability, and speed than many of us.
 
Back
Top