compudog said:I think the idea of preventing your body from storing fat is not the same as fat loss. In fact, instead of fat loss, let's call it *net* fat loss, because I'm pretty sure a body both stores and burns fat all the time. Sure if you want to get down to 4% or 5% body fat then you might want to micromanage your body's fat storage, but otherwise I think it's more important to go with what you can manage. For instance, I perform better on an empty stomach, so I don't eat much during the day. Conversely, if I go to bed hungry it drives me nuts and I don't sleep well, so I eat more in the evening, including carbs. And yes your body does have a 24 hour clock, it's called the circadian cycle and it's why we sleep for the same 8 hour period every 24. All in all I'm not terribly impressed with this article. It reads like exactly same cookie-cutter theory-based advice I took years to unlearn.
So you believe in the 24 hour clock with not eating much at night? Or cals in vs cals out. Seems cals in vs cals out since you eat mostly at night.
compudog said:I think our bodies store fat basically on a priority system, so that there'll be short term & long term fat storage. I think that because it's the only thing that makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's very unlikely we've evolved to eat 6 times a day, IMO. It's difficult to manage a schedule like that in modern times with all the excess food we have due to industrial food production. In ancient times it would have been impossible. It's more likely we evolved to eat basically whenever we could, and probably too much so we could store up some fat for when food was scarce. Which is probably why everyone is fat now, when there's a lot of food available.
I think there must also be a short term fat storage mechanism at work, because I've seen it in myself. Some fat goes away quickly, other fat takes more effort to get rid of. Also a lot of people seem to have success with intermittent fasting, particularly in regards to staying lean. I think what's happening there is the short term stores of fat are being continuously burned up, on a day to day basis, in real time you might say.
So yes I think there's a 24 hour clock, but I don't think it has that big of an impact on fat storage, except that you don't eat while you're asleep and it's not possible to store fat if you don't eat.
Cals in cals out is a simple fact of physics. You can't get more energy out of any system than you put in, and that applies to people. There's going to be inefficiency and some of that may be due to meal timing, but basically that's it.
I think nutrient timing might be important for optimal muscle growth, but in terms of fat loss I think the only important variable is how much you eat.
I think our bodies store fat basically on a priority system, so that there'll be short term & long term fat storage. I think that because it's the only thing that makes sense from an evolutionary perspective. It's very unlikely we've evolved to eat 6 times a day, IMO. It's difficult to manage a schedule like that in modern times with all the excess food we have due to industrial food production. In ancient times it would have been impossible. It's more likely we evolved to eat basically whenever we could, and probably too much so we could store up some fat for when food was scarce. Which is probably why everyone is fat now, when there's a lot of food available.
I think there must also be a short term fat storage mechanism at work, because I've seen it in myself. Some fat goes away quickly, other fat takes more effort to get rid of. Also a lot of people seem to have success with intermittent fasting, particularly in regards to staying lean. I think what's happening there is the short term stores of fat are being continuously burned up, on a day to day basis, in real time you might say.
So yes I think there's a 24 hour clock, but I don't think it has that big of an impact on fat storage, except that you don't eat while you're asleep and it's not possible to store fat if you don't eat.
Cals in cals out is a simple fact of physics. You can't get more energy out of any system than you put in, and that applies to people. There's going to be inefficiency and some of that may be due to meal timing, but basically that's it.
I think nutrient timing might be important for optimal muscle growth, but in terms of fat loss I think the only important variable is how much you eat.
Take a look @ this, the nutrition part specifically.
Invalid Link Removed
some really great points you got there!i can agree with majority of what you say but even still theres just so much more to it than that, nonetheless its what you take out of the article itself and it seems you just solidified your own principles by speaking your from your perspective...props bro
![]()