Article: 5 Things Exercise Nazis Get Wrong

DB1219

Awards
The behind-neck press was my preferred shoulder exercise in the 80's. I stopped doing it for years because "conventional wisdom" was it was bad for the shoulders. I have been doing them again recently and they feel great.

changemyoil66

Awards
I don't do behind the neck presses because of my shoudlers, I just don't like my neck in a forward position. Same reason why I don't do behind the neck lat pull downs. But dumbbells I have no issue doing at the neck or a little behind.

compudog

compudog

Awards
This article presents a logical fallacy; specifically, it's a loaded question. You can't argue against anything he says here without being labeled an 'exercise nazi'. Even if he's wrong. About, for instance, behind the neck presses being superior to correct presses, or dips being superior to bench press. Correct presses are better than behind the neck presses IMO, because it's possible to load them a lot more effectively, same thing for dips vs. bench press. You might get 10% better activation with those exercises, but that's moot if you can use twice the weight with the right movements.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Never done dips with feet in front of me. Will try doing it this way from now on. In the video for chest dips the guy is going down so low his shoulders begin to shrug up. Don't do that ever you'll **** up your collar bone. Keep your shoulders down and head facing forward always

Stl_Lift

Stl_Lift

Awards
You might get 10% better activation with those exercises, but that's moot if you can use twice the weight with the right movements.
Hit the nail on the head.

DB1219

Awards
This article presents a logical fallacy; specifically, it's a loaded question. You can't argue against anything he says here without being labeled an 'exercise nazi'. Even if he's wrong. About, for instance, behind the neck presses being superior to correct presses, or dips being superior to bench press. Correct presses are better than behind the neck presses IMO, because it's possible to load them a lot more effectively, same thing for dips vs. bench press. You might get 10% better activation with those exercises, but that's moot if you can use twice the weight with the right movements.
I like his perspective/logic on these exercises, but he really makes himself sound like a an amateur writer using terms like Nazi. In addition, he uses the amateur tactic "the nazi's say blah, blah.." This is called a straw man argument. You create an opposing side despite having no quotes or people to cite. Listen to Obama some time, he uses this tactic all the time - "some say blah, blah" yet no one is actually espousing his argument.

DB1219

Awards
Never done dips with feet in front of me. Will try doing it this way from now on. In the video for chest dips the guy is going down so low his shoulders begin to shrug up. Don't do that ever you'll **** up your collar bone. Keep your shoulders down and head facing forward always
Jeremy, I started doing these "Gironda dips" a few weeks ago. They seem to accent lower chest. I try to keep my elbows flared out as well. There was a video (youtube? BB.com?) that advised chin down, legs forward, elbows out. Today I am going to do them as my first chest excercise instead of bench press and see if I can increase the weight and hit the area hard.