Are hard boiled eggs unhealthy?

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I eat about 8-10 whole eggs a day. I love my eggs, but I've been warned by dietitians that eating a lot of eggs everyday can potentially form an egg allergy.
For what it's worth, my mom's uncle owned a hatchery on a farm when I was growing up and he and his wife both ate 10-12 eggs a day. They both lived well into their 90's and died of old age with no cholesterol problems or allergies.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For what it's worth, my mom's uncle owned a hatchery on a farm when I was growing up and he and his wife both ate 10-12 eggs a day. They both lived well into their 90's and died of old age with no cholesterol problems or allergies.
Ha. I love stories like this.

Good stuff ;)

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
Anybody that dislikes peeling boiled eggs should get a steamer of some sort and steam eggs. It seriously makes peeling eggs a breeze. And you don't get the shell stuck to the egg so you end up throwing away a whole layer of egg white. One of my favorite things ever now that I have one.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Anybody that dislikes peeling boiled eggs should get a steamer of some sort and steam eggs. It seriously makes peeling eggs a breeze. And you don't get the shell stuck to the egg so you end up throwing away a whole layer of egg white. One of my favorite things ever now that I have one.
I may have to try this, I hate peeling the eggs sometimes!!

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
I may have to try this, I hate peeling the eggs sometimes!!
I ate way fewer boiled eggs before I got the steamer because peeling em is a chore. Steamed eggs I just tap em on the bottom since i found that is generally where the best air bubble is (especially in farm fresh eggs) and then the shell peels off like nothing.

Bonesaw93

Awards
I add baking soda to the water then when I'm done boiling put them in ice water...they peel pretty easy

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
I add baking soda to the water then when I'm done boiling put them in ice water...they peel pretty easy
I have never tried the baking soda but I have tried the ice water, and it didn't work as well as the steamer for me.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Bonesaw93

Awards
I've also heard that if you use older eggs they are easier to peel then newer eggs but I've never verified that

Bonesaw93

Awards
What I've never got to work is that Tim Ferriss trick where he gets it out in like 10s...wish I could pull that off

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think the trick to making hard boiled eggs that are easy to peel is to not overcook them. Steaming definitely works!

I've always wanted to try a higher-fat diet where I was stuffing myself with hard-boiled eggs all day inbetween meals. Think I might give this a shot soon.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
What I've never got to work is that Tim Ferriss trick where he gets it out in like 10s...wish I could pull that off
I can peel steamed eggs in about 20-30 seconds. Ill time it next time I peel some today

choccyswag

choccyswag

Awards
I've never tried steaming shelled eggs before. :) Let's hope they don't cause that... gas problem after eating them haha.

My latest brekkie obsession are poached eggs, on toast. I been getting really fresh eggs from a farm near where I live, and they always turn out great!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've also heard that if you use older eggs they are easier to peel then newer eggs but I've never verified that
This is True!

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
Peeled 6 steamed eggs, roughly 20 seconds each egg.

AllaboutGains

AllaboutGains

Awards
I just have a tupperware steamer. That way I can even do it in the microwave.