Approaching 40 Years; Do I Need TRT?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I am approaching 40 years old.

Ten years ago, when briefly in the military and other situations, doctors did prescribe me testosterone, low doses of Anavar and Primobolan Depot, etc. It was legal and done under a doctor's care.

My testosterone has always been in the reference range, but low (such as 330 on a 300-1000 range). Still, my normal LH always meant no trouble to a physician.

1. How do I determine if I really need TRT, and maybe GH, now that I am approaching 40 years old?

2. From what I understand, there are two possibilities:

a. People who have lost both testicles, or otherwise need TRT to have any libido, muscle mass, or testosterone at all - they respond well, gain back muscle mass, lose fat, and otherwise feel better.

b. Older people who do not need TRT, but want it because it gives everyone more energy, drive, etc. Those people do gain a little more muscle, lose more fat, etc. But, if they suffer from low mood, low energy, poor strength and muscle tone, etc. then they still will be the same way, just with higher blood testosterone.

3. I remember when I was first prescribed testosterone, the first few days were dramatic. Normally, I do one hour of cardio then stop. For some reason, I was able to do four hours of cardio, and not feel fatigued, but only that one time.

I did notice more spontaneous energy, etc. but only for the first few days with Androgel.

4. Any trusted guidebook for TRT, that tells me what to expect? Or, just default to a well-known doctor?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hi Everyone,

I am approaching 40 years old.

Ten years ago, when briefly in the military and other situations, doctors did prescribe me testosterone, low doses of Anavar and Primobolan Depot, etc. It was legal and done under a doctor's care.

My testosterone has always been in the reference range, but low (such as 330 on a 300-1000 range). Still, my normal LH always meant no trouble to a physician.

1. How do I determine if I really need TRT, and maybe GH, now that I am approaching 40 years old?

2. From what I understand, there are two possibilities:

a. People who have lost both testicles, or otherwise need TRT to have any libido, muscle mass, or testosterone at all - they respond well, gain back muscle mass, lose fat, and otherwise feel better.

b. Older people who do not need TRT, but want it because it gives everyone more energy, drive, etc. Those people do gain a little more muscle, lose more fat, etc. But, if they suffer from low mood, low energy, poor strength and muscle tone, etc. then they still will be the same way, just with higher blood testosterone.

3. I remember when I was first prescribed testosterone, the first few days were dramatic. Normally, I do one hour of cardio then stop. For some reason, I was able to do four hours of cardio, and not feel fatigued, but only that one time.

I did notice more spontaneous energy, etc. but only for the first few days with Androgel.

4. Any trusted guidebook for TRT, that tells me what to expect? Or, just default to a well-known doctor?
The way you determine if you really need TRT is with labs. Complete labs for hormones and CBC. Then once you get your results, see if your natural test levels are low. If so, try everything you can to raise them, such as diet, medications and lifestyle changes. If that doesn’t work, well, you need TRT. End of discussion.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My take is a little different when we are talking men in their 40s+. Yes, always labs as a baseline and you want a full hormone panel, CBC w/lipids, CMP. Chances are, especially since you mention you've had tests and your test is low, it will be low.

Now the question- do you need TRT, maybe not. Would you feel better, build muscle mass, and recovery from strenuous activity better- probably. I personally think that too many young people see it as the answer to everything, but I also feel that we have these tools available to us that help move us to optimal condition so why not use them.

For me at 48, TRT is and has been amazing. There are some negatives you have to be aware of such as BP and initial balancing and dialing in of hormones, but the positives far outweigh them. If you are an active person, and I believe everyone on this board is or why be here, you will gain an edge and be able to do more than you do currently without question. If that is important to you, you have to factor it in.

Now if you are happy, content, and have no physical desires that are becoming less obtainable due to age, confidence is high, energy is good, then maybe you might not want to add it in as a responsibility.

Ultimately it is up to you, but I feel almost any man near or in their 40s would benefit.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
See your Doctor!

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks.

1. I worry about losing my fertility forever, even if I get off TRT at a later time. Can anyone comment about that?

2. What type of TRT is the best?

I heard injectable testosterone cypionate is good.

My military doctor gave me an androgel. In Thailand, they give the three-month Nebido. Other places even use Sustanon.

3. Anything else to be concerned about? To me, the only big difference was that first week...lots of extra spontaneous energy. My cardio tolerance went way up to four hours a day, etc.

If things were always like that, I would enjoy it.