Apex Alchemy Ursa Major reviews

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I purchased this product after it was suggested to me. I was actually pleasantly surprised to learn another company had released a topical ursolic acid product.
Product was purchased for $29.99 plus I think $5 or so for shipping.
I received 2 30ml dropper bottles, so basically a 60ml supply.
I personally despise dropper administration, so I immediately poured both bottles into a 60ml spray bottle for easier application.

The product has a very strong smell, which is from the eucalyptus and peppermint oil I’m guessing.
application:
It goes on a little greasy. Kind of reminds my of sunscreen.
Smell was very pungent. Some may find this a plus, others not so much,
But those around you will for sure wonder why you smell like a hippie candle store.
The scent tended to upset my allergies but nothing too crazy.
my daughter thought it made me stink, and proceeded to tell me such.
ive had the product for almost a month and a half, but I’ve been unable to bring myself to use it in any consistent way due to the smell.
Topical ursolic acid is an excellent product imo and I’m sure this is a great one, but until I find something to mix this in to change the scent, I’ll be unable to actually use the product.

value: 6* if bogo is permanent, on par with other UA products if it’s kind. If no bogo, 1* as 30ml for $29 would be overpriced.
Absorption: 5* product burns like crazy if applied in the wrong areas, but the peppermint cool down is pleasant. It goes on and stays similar to icy hot rub. Smell is completely different though.

effectiveness: inconclusive. topical UA is a product that needs to be used daily. Consistently. But Ive been unable to do so as of this review. That may change, we’ll see.

overall, this was a product I was excited to use, but extremely bummed out at the scent. I understand for most this won’t bother them. Some may even like it.
I would guess then it would be fantastic.
But if you’re sensitive to smells, or have allergies, this is probably one to stay away from.

Ideas on changing the scent without negatively affecting the product would be much welcomed.
I have a full distance Ironman race coming up in November and would love to utilize this product in order to maximize my training.

Last edited:
ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Maybe add a strong essential oil scent to alter the scent?

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Maybe add a strong essential oil scent to alter the scent?
Could be. I was thinking something along the lines of a citrus scent mixed in might help balance it out.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I just realized this but isn’t ua Derived from rosemary? 😂 it would be the perfect carrier for this

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have a client who was selling essential oils on the side, I’ll probably ask her to let me try some various products to see what might mix well.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Same for their 6oxo product, might be great but smell is awful and not fair to the people around me.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I apply over 3ml of Apex TD's at times and an hour later you can barely smell anything. If someone has sensitive skin/allergies then it may be best to avoid topicals altogether.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I actually like the smell of the Apex TDs, although I understand that preferences are very subjective.
I don’t think the carrier smells bad , but it’s potent. It’s potent enough to be able to smell it through the pack. Lol. I personally don’t mind it.

JKVol

JKVol

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think people are making a bigger deal out of the smell than what it is. A person that wears it obviously smells it more than a person that doesn’t. I’ve asked my wife many of times if she can smell the apex TD’s on me and she always says no.

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The smell is still strong for me. I have Re started using it as of Yesterday and it just may be more noticeable as I’m using a spray bottle for application, and am applying to the following areas, 2 sprays each area.
-Tops of feet
-top of shin/knee cap
-top and back of thigh
-testicles
-Abs/chest
-arm pits
-top of hands
-forearms
-neck
I apply immediately after shower and I shave a different part of my body daily. Yesterday was torso, today was arms, tomorrow will be legs.
After application my wife commented on the smell asking if I’m purposely trying to keep her off of me, half joking. I explained it’s a new product I’m trying, and it contains eucalyptus and peppermint oil, so it’s from that.

I do enjoy the burn then cooling affect after applying.

nnnnnn

Awards
I like NOS products, their potency is enough to counteract any unpleasant smell if any. I have purchased several products from Apex. The older versions, the mint smell was very strong but there's been massive improvements. The newer ones dry fast which I like. Now common sense, if I plan on coming in contact with lots of people within 10 minutes of using the product,I will put cologne or not use it. If you use it, allow atleast 30 minutes for the smell to fade away. If you apply it on your legs,wearing pants over it solves the problem. If you apply it on your chest, you're more likely to smell it on yourself, the smell may not be even strong to others. Usually in 30 minutes,everything is all good and you can even apply lotion. But then you have to think that the main concern for Apex should be how to ensure that the product passes through the skin barrier into the blood. That's what makes it effective and if that can't be achieved, all the smells of roses in the world won't make people buy it again for bodybuilding if it is not effective. Overall, I think Apex products have come a long way and have been improved. Maybe in the future, NOS will add more stuff to fade out the mint smell some don't like. I don't mind it.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The smell is still strong for me. I have Re started using it as of Yesterday and it just may be more noticeable as I’m using a spray bottle for application, and am applying to the following areas, 2 sprays each area.
-Tops of feet
-top of shin/knee cap
-top and back of thigh
-testicles
-Abs/chest
-arm pits
-top of hands
-forearms
-neck
I apply immediately after shower and I shave a different part of my body daily. Yesterday was torso, today was arms, tomorrow will be legs.
After application my wife commented on the smell asking if I’m purposely trying to keep her off of me, half joking. I explained it’s a new product I’m trying, and it contains eucalyptus and peppermint oil, so it’s from that.

I do enjoy the burn then cooling affect after applying.
Ok, so I have not tried the URSA up till today. I will agree that it does not smell as good as the others I have used when it dries. I have noticed that despite similar smelling in the bottles once applied each formula smells a little different when drying. This makes sense as they have different "actives."

The URSA does not smell as great as the others but my wife said she did not mind the smell. I don't think there is a single essential oil NOS could use that would 1. not disrupt the absorption 2. not have an activity all it's own that would be counterproductive and 3. Make everyone happy with the smell. Number 3 is simply impossible as we all like different smells.

Do you know how many ml's you're applying with the sprayer? I am not sure but that sounds like a lot of volume you are using.

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The smell is very pungent. Stings the nostrils. I cannot wear this around other people, I've had complaints at the gym and at home. I wish Nostrum would switch to the Salvo carrier from Iron Legion.

JKVol

JKVol

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The smell is very pungent. Stings the nostrils. I cannot wear this around other people, I've had complaints at the gym and at home. I wish Nostrum would switch to the Salvo carrier from Iron Legion.
People at your gym are just walking up to you to say you smell bad?

unitas27

unitas27

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
People at your gym are just walking up to you to say you smell bad?
Friends at the gym telling me I smell "strange" whatever that means. Never had any comments until I used the product. I've used plenty of Apex products before and the odor isn't usually an issue but for some reason this product is a bit unpleasant. To each their own. You obviously don't mind the smell.

JKVol

JKVol

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Friends at the gym telling me I smell "strange" whatever that means. Never had any comments until I used the product. I've used plenty of Apex products before and the odor isn't usually an issue but for some reason this product is a bit unpleasant. To each their own. You obviously don't mind the smell.
I understand

brofessorx

brofessorx

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If I had to guess, based on the bottle, I’d say Im using around 3-4ml after I’m done applying.
This is just from eyeballing the change in liquid volume in the bottle.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You all need to give NOS a break. If it was TD primo ace , it could smell like straight motor oil and no one would be complaining 😂

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
We also have to remember, when this stuff absorbs, we all have a different body chemistry. It will smell different on all of us.

CATdiesel76

CATdiesel76

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I don’t mind the nos/apex carriers and enjoy them actually. Smell usually fades within 20 minutes or so anyways