Anything that can inhibit ghrelin?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have no willpower and I blame ghrelin. It makes me hungry all the time and I hate it. Is there anything I can take to severely inhibit ghrelin to help me with my diet? I know that eating protein, fat, fiber etc can help reduce ghrelin but is there any supplement that can help?

Thanks!

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
are you sure its not cortisol? have you tried invictus?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
are you sure its not cortisol? have you tried invictus?
Not Invictus but I have tried AET-50. It didn't help me much because I'm a chowhound. I was hoping if I could keep ghrelin under control then I would be able to "forget" about eating or reduce my desire to eat so as to help me with my diet.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
have you mastered intermittent fasting? it really helped me to deal with hunger issues. you eat a massive meal in the evening and u stay too full to eat much more during the rest of the night. when pack all your calories into a limited time frame, you stay full during that time so your chowhound issues is actually somewhat helpful getting to your daily needs.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think his problem would be getting to his window.

@cheekymonkey I’d probably start with your metal health if it’s really coming down to binging at night.

Last edited:
ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just found out one can purchase injectable leptin, the hormone that makes you feel full. You could try to find that.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
have you mastered intermittent fasting? it really helped me to deal with hunger issues. you eat a massive meal in the evening and u stay too full to eat much more during the rest of the night. when pack all your calories into a limited time frame, you stay full during that time so your chowhound issues is actually somewhat helpful getting to your daily needs.
I am trying something like that. I usually eat from 6pm onwards and don't eat anything at work except drink coffee or seltzer or BCAAs. From my understanding with IF, you still have to eat below maintenance to make it work but if you eat over maintenance then all those hours of fasting will be meaningless. That's why I'm trying to find something to control my hunger.

I just found out one can purchase injectable leptin, the hormone that makes you feel full. You could try to find that.

Any orals or transdermal that could work?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am trying something like that. I usually eat from 6pm onwards and don't eat anything at work except drink coffee or seltzer or BCAAs. From my understanding with IF, you still have to eat below maintenance to make it work but if you eat over maintenance then all those hours of fasting will be meaningless. That's why I'm trying to find something to control my hunger.

Any orals or transdermal that could work?
Regarding fasting advice: your hunger cravings will be different if you do a "keto reset" or whatever to become "fat adapted". Hunger really becomes very different. I did a few months on 24hr fast + carnivore and that made a lasting difference I think.

lfod14

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I have no willpower and I blame ghrelin. It makes me hungry all the time and I hate it. Is there anything I can take to severely inhibit ghrelin to help me with my diet? I know that eating protein, fat, fiber etc can help reduce ghrelin but is there any supplement that can help?

Thanks!
Not really, diet is most of it what do your daily macros look like? You’re doing something to spike it.

That said, dihydroberberine can help but ultimately it’s diet. Are you taking supps that are known to spike it?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Regarding fasting advice: your hunger cravings will be different if you do a "keto reset" or whatever to become "fat adapted". Hunger really becomes very different. I did a few months on 24hr fast + carnivore and that made a lasting difference I think.
Thanks brah, I'll check out keto reset.
Not really, diet is most of it what do your daily macros look like? You’re doing something to spike it.

That said, dihydroberberine can help but ultimately it’s diet. Are you taking supps that are known to spike it?
From the time I wake up for work, I have coffee (with raw cacao powder) and 4-5 almonds along with 1 cap of thermoamp. Then I go to work and have coffee again with two string cheese with multivitamins, pine pollen, joint xt, kannaease. The rest of the day I just drink water and/or BCAAs and a protein bar. Driving back home, I pop a caffeine pill and drink sugar-free seltzer. When I'm home, I pop cissus, glycophase, digestive enzymes and then proceed to have whatever my wife made for dinner (ex. chicken, beef, pasta, lentils, sausages, rice, potatoes, spinach, mixed veggies etc). I admit I eat a copious amount and follow up with fruits, nuts, maybe an ice cream scoop or some cereal. I guess I shouldn't be eating right before bed time.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

From the time I wake up for work, I have coffee (with raw cacao powder) and 4-5 almonds along with 1 cap of thermoamp. Then I go to work and have coffee again with two string cheese with multivitamins, pine pollen, joint xt, kannaease. The rest of the day I just drink water and/or BCAAs and a protein bar. Driving back home, I pop a caffeine pill and drink sugar-free seltzer. When I'm home, I pop cissus, glycophase, digestive enzymes and then proceed to have whatever my wife made for dinner (ex. chicken, beef, pasta, lentils, sausages, rice, potatoes, spinach, mixed veggies etc). I admit I eat a copious amount and follow up with fruits, nuts, maybe an ice cream scoop or some cereal. I guess I shouldn't be eating right before bed time.
You gotta get that diet in check. You're hungry because eating 5 almonds for a "meal" and then cheese strings for another meal. You'd be better off having a larger meal in place of those or just fasting and not consuming those at all until you can eat something more substantial

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You gotta get that diet in check. You're hungry because eating 5 almonds for a "meal" and then cheese strings for another meal. You'd be better off having a larger meal in place of those or just fasting and not consuming those at all until you can eat something more substantial
Ok, I'll give up the almonds/string cheese/protein bar in the day time. Do I still need to eat under maintenance (about 1,500 calories) for dinner to lose bodyfat or can I eat as much as I want?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ok, I'll give up the almonds/string cheese/protein bar in the day time. Do I still need to eat under maintenance (about 1,500 calories) for dinner to lose bodyfat or can I eat as much as I want?
I maybe am misunderstanding, but are you saying you eat below 1500 calories a day?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

imo: you are pretty close to doing 24 your fast already. You could skip the almonds and the drinks (coffee is ok) and then just pig out when you get home for your one meal. It's just tricky to lift. If you can lift right before you eat that's ideal. Otherwise you should drink a protein shake and break your fast after you lift

Otherwise ya eat more in the morning. 5 almonds is just gonna make you more hungry and not do much for you

Last edited:
Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I maybe am misunderstanding, but are you saying you eat below 1500 calories a day?
Well, according to the diet calculators, My maintenance is 2,000 calories so to cut, I try to eat no more than 1,500 calories per day but it's really hard and I end up going over because of hunger pangs. I set the calculator settings on "sedentary" because my job is practically sedentary and I drive home so the only activity I get is when I workout.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Well, according to the diet calculators, My maintenance is 2,000 calories so to cut, I try to eat no more than 1,500 calories per day but it's really hard and I end up going over because of hunger pangs. I set the calculator settings on "sedentary" because my job is practically sedentary and I drive home so the only activity I get is when I workout.
Im afraid that at that caloric intake you will be miserable no matter what diet you choose to do. I wouldnt stay at such a low intake for a long time either. How long did you plan to cut for?

Just for information sake, what are your stats?

Drunken Master

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The only thing that I have experienced that made hunger and appetite completely go away is amphetamine. You could literally eat zero calories for days. It's impossible to sleep on it though. But you could use it in the morning, then you don't eat for half a day, and in the evening you come down, eat something and go to sleep. You would still only eat half the calories you would normally eat. But you can't use it while your on gear because you could die

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Im afraid that at that caloric intake you will be miserable no matter what diet you choose to do. I wouldnt stay at such a low intake for a long time either. How long did you plan to cut for?

Just for information sake, what are your stats?
I've been trying to cut since January. I'm 6ft, 230 lbs. According to the calorie calculator, my RMR is 1,987 calories. So I figured I could cut 500 calories off of it for cut. The only activity I do is training but that's been a bit haphazard lately because of work and family commitments. I still try to do 3 times a week workout. I don't go to a commercial gym but I have equipment at home. I have a pull-up/dip tower and an adjustable dumbbell that goes up to 90 lbs.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The only thing that I have experienced that made hunger and appetite completely go away is amphetamine. You could literally eat zero calories for days. It's impossible to sleep on it though. But you could use it in the morning, then you don't eat for half a day, and in the evening you come down, eat something and go to sleep. You would still only eat half the calories you would normally eat. But you can't use it while your on gear because you could die
That's going to be hard to come by...I was just wondering if there was something that could stem hunger for a little bit. At least to stop me from going bananas thinking of food all the time.

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've been trying to cut since January. I'm 6ft, 230 lbs. According to the calorie calculator, my RMR is 1,987 calories. So I figured I could cut 500 calories off of it for cut. The only activity I do is training but that's been a bit haphazard lately because of work and family commitments. I still try to do 3 times a week workout. I don't go to a commercial gym but I have equipment at home. I have a pull-up/dip tower and an adjustable dumbbell that goes up to 90 lbs.
You have to multiply you BMR by your activity levels. Your cals are way too low for that weight. I diet on much more cals and way 35 less lbs than you.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You have to multiply you BMR by your activity levels. Your cals are way too low for that weight. I diet on much more cals and way 35 less lbs than you.
I'll try bumping up my cals to 2,000-2,500 calories and see if it helps. I guess I better cut out the almonds/snack in the daytime and focus all calories in the evening. That staying hungry during the day is the hard part. I've been a chow hound for years so I'm sure my stomach is permanently stretched and just refuses to fill up. lol!

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'll try bumping up my cals to 2,000-2,500 calories and see if it helps. I guess I better cut out the almonds/snack in the daytime and focus all calories in the evening. That staying hungry during the day is the hard part. I've been a chow hound for years so I'm sure my stomach is permanently stretched and just refuses to fill up. lol!
I was like that in my younger years too but I adapted to IF pretty quickly, about two weeks max and things became easy from there. Good luck

lfod14

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Take those calcs for what they are, guesses! It’s best to spend a little time finding your true numbers (or get your RMR measured) those things had mine at around 1000 over what it was at one point! I reverse dieted for over a year to fix it, not a fun place to be. I’d increase to what it’s saying your TDEE is and see what happens. Nothing worse than chronic under eating and slowing your RMR as a result. Pre reverse diet my RMR was measured at 1700! That’s lifting 5-6x a week and physical job, post reverse dieting and putting more muscle on it was measured at a little over 3400 a couple weeks ago. Under eating is what did that to me, lowest effective deficit man! A little extra speed on the fat loss is NOT worth it!

…..unless you’re cheating the metabolic slowdown (T3 anyone) lol.

ronjon2147

Awards
  • First Up Vote
GLP-1 Agonists seem to be the biggest break through on this (semaglutide, dulaglutide, liraglutide). Not cheap.

barische

barische

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
He needs epitome + chicken breast & broccoli diet. That would fill him up n lose weight

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I know I'm late here but my question fits into what you said above.

I'm normally not a fan of intermittent fasting but I'm trying to do it for the next 2 weeks because my work and schedule is crazy right now. Biggest problem is I have to train at night and well, let me try to explain.

The past few days I'm running around crazy from 6am till noon so I'm drinking a coffee when I wake up and hit the road, works crazy I'm sweating through multiple pairs of clothes per day and it's zapping my appetite during the day. Been having a salad with chicken and vegetables and 2 servings of fruit around noon. Can't really eat again till 6pm, at this point my hunger is through the roof all the sudden but I gotta keep the meal small so I can lift at 830, post workout I shovel down the remainder of my days calories. As a example I just finished 1lb of ground beef made into 4 burgers with 4 slices of cheddar and 2 burger buns. That put me about 80 calories over my limit. I'm still hungry, same thing last night, except I was so hungry I made 4 turkey sausage, 2 waffles and topped the waffles with Peanut butter, strawberries and grapes. That put me 700 calories over my limit, and I woke up at 3am and had a granola bar, 2 pop tarts and a glass of milk lol. Scale is not going up probably because I'm so active I need to up the calories anyway but I think you get my point. No appetite all day and can't satisfy the hunger all evening/night. Wtf do I do lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Sorry for hijacking, I can start a thread if that's perfered

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Preferred*
No probs buddy. Lately I've been managing to keep my appetite under control and I'm doing it by drinking lots of seltzer. Zero calories, zero sugar and the carbonation fills up stomach so I don't feel the urge to eat.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
No probs buddy. Lately I've been managing to keep my appetite under control and I'm doing it by drinking lots of seltzer. Zero calories, zero sugar and the carbonation fills up stomach so I don't feel the urge to eat.
I actually had 2 diet sodas today for the first time in months for that very reason

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I actually had 2 diet sodas today for the first time in months for that very reason
I could be wrong but I've always heard that diet sodas use artificial sweetners that apparently makes you more hungry. So I play it safe by having plain old seltzer with a hint of lime added for flavor. Sometimes I add tart cherry powder for additional.flavor.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I could be wrong but I've always heard that diet sodas use artificial sweetners that apparently makes you more hungry. So I play it safe by having plain old seltzer with a hint of lime added for flavor. Sometimes I add tart cherry powder for additional.flavor.
Pepsi zero, Im sure there's some truth to that as I've heard it before but it doesn't make me any more hungry then I already was, if I have a craving for sweets it covers it temporarily

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I can attest to IF. It changed my hunger signals completely

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
And it starts, 12:40am and I just woke up starving, making turkey sausage and eggs so I don't eat junk food instead

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Sorry for hijacking, I can start a thread if that's perfered
You need to take in a bigger pre work out ml it sounds like.. maybe choke
Down those extra peanut butter sammies... also you could try... skipping the meal at lunch and swig on bcaas all day go work out.. then start eating... which is closer to the actual diet.. afterwords crush the dinner go to bed full

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you cam eat all 3k calories in one platter... then wake up hungry.... you have a tape worm

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
If you cam eat all 3k calories in one platter... then wake up hungry.... you have a tape worm
I don't have a tapeworm but I probably would still be hungry lol. It's more routine then anything. I've done some eating comps in the past. I can put food down.

I'm actually doing the other thing you said today, I've got a scoop of pre-workout 20 g of half BCAAs and alf eaa mixed in a gallon of water

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
The one meal only thing I don't think I can do though, I really don't want to eat 200 to 250 g of protein in one meal

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'll give it a shot tonight, I only got to eat like this for the next week or two so it shouldn't be too bad

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Once you find the right combo of when to lift vs when and what to eat.. things will be easy for a week if not longer

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't have a tapeworm but I probably would still be hungry lol. It's more routine then anything. I've done some eating comps in the past. I can put food down.

I'm actually doing the other thing you said today, I've got a scoop of pre-workout 20 g of half BCAAs and alf eaa mixed in a gallon of water
Hey bud. Not wanting to sound off but... You haven't had an eating disorder before? If your constantly hungry it can stem from an eating disorder that's caused some malnutrition. You then get this effect that is called extreme hunger. Your body/brain wants you to binge and binge ie 3k in one meal... You can still feel hungry after this!

Have you had issues before if you don't mind me asking?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Hey bud. Not wanting to sound off but... You haven't had an eating disorder before? If your constantly hungry it can stem from an eating disorder that's caused some malnutrition. You then get this effect that is called extreme hunger. Your body/brain wants you to binge and binge ie 3k in one meal... You can still feel hungry after this!

Have you had issues before if you don't mind me asking?
Nope never had a eating disorder, never been fat except for pushing a bulk too far, never been underweight ever. Always been a big eater. Can put food away like no1's business. The only reason I'm overly hungry at night lately is because I'm used to having my meals at the same time every day and now I'm forced into fasting most of the day. It's not unbearable, im just in a different realm with if. I'm still dropping bf and beating the log book every workout so not overly worried. Just trying to avoid the 3am sweet tooth lol

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I actually fasted all day today and just had water with aminos and 2 coffees. Just had my first meal, about 1800 calories, got 1200 left that I think I'm going to make a big milk shake and add some whey to make sure I hit my protein and calorie goal for the day. I only count protein and total calories unless I have a extremely specific target to hit

Attachments

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I actually fasted all day today and just had water with aminos and 2 coffees. Just had my first meal, about 1800 calories, got 1200 left that I think I'm going to make a big milk shake and add some whey to make sure I hit my protein and calorie goal for the day. I only count protein and total calories unless I have a extremely specific target to hit
How many hours of sleep do you get? I'm guilty of chronic sleep debt and I know that messes with appetite, recovery, metabolism etc.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
How many hours of sleep do you get? I'm guilty of chronic sleep debt and I know that messes with appetite, recovery, metabolism etc.
My sleep is horrible, always has been. But my recovery is pretty damn good. I'm lifting 4 days sometimes 5 and doing 3 days of boxing plus I work a labor job. Rarely get sore, numbers in the gym going up for either lbs or reps.

Im in bed for 8-10 hours a night but I wake up 3+ times most nights and rarely go more then 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep. I should be horribly overtrained but I'm definitely not. At least not enough to stop progress

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I did take last week and this week off from boxing but still doing my heavy bag work at home, just not doing my actual boxing session. That will resume when work slows back down

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did take last week and this week off from boxing but still doing my heavy bag work at home, just not doing my actual boxing session. That will resume when work slows back down
You must be a young guy. When you're young you can withstand so much more than us 35+ oldies. 😅

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I'd be lieing if I said I feel awesome, I'm always kinda tired. But it doesn't slow me down most of the time. I'm very high strung