ANYONE ZERO CARB AND STILL LIFT ?

memphis 77

Awards
I am thinking of doin zero carb for life and wondering if there are any others here who are o carb and can lift on this ?

polarcat

polarcat

Awards
  • Established
I've done it before, felt great. Your fats and proteins will have to be higher. It'll take a few weeks for your system to adjust. Experiment with reloads.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Are you aiming to do keto? What is your macro split? If you keep protein high and don't try to get into ketosis, you might end up struggling with low energy levels

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
And some people have a negative hormonal response to long term keto. Test can plunge without occasional carb refeeds. Even just every couple weeks can help.

Some do great though. Just something else to keep an eye on.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Keep your fats up or else you'll run out of energy quickly.

memphis 77

Awards
I've done it before, felt great. Your fats and proteins will have to be higher. It'll take a few weeks for your system to adjust. Experiment with reloads.
can i ask why u stopped?

memphis 77

Awards
And some people have a negative hormonal response to long term keto. Test can plunge without occasional carb refeeds. Even just every couple weeks can help.

Some do great though. Just something else to keep an eye on.
thank u i will keep this in mind - i'm just fearful of putting on fat again with the refeed is this mainly done 2 boost test and leptin JD

memphis 77

Awards
no i have done keto in past , i just want 2 do a zero carb =eat meat drink water lifestyle and see if i can actually still lift and have good results

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
thank u i will keep this in mind - i'm just fearful of putting on fat again with the refeed is this mainly done 2 boost test and leptin JD
Many Psychological and physiological reasons. Check out Lyle McDonald's site. And his Ketogenic Diet book.

memphis 77

Awards
ok i will do - can i just ask when u did keto with refeeds were they 2 days out of week and clean refeeds ? -thanx again

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
ok i will do - can i just ask when u did keto with refeeds were they 2 days out of week and clean refeeds ? -thanx again
They're typically once per week, very high carb. They don't necessarily need to consist of 'clean' foods, and in most cases if you try to eat a very high amount of carbs in all clean foods you'll have a very difficult time hitting your macros for the refeed. Read up on the CKD diet, there's a lot of great info available.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I have been close to 0 carb for the last 4 months. Only trace carbs from green veggies. I have recently returned to the gym after about a 2 year hiatus for various reasons. I actually find it hard to get pumps and my muscles feel flat constantly.

I am thinking about doing a refeed every 2 weeks and then using one of the keto induce products to speed back into keto

JDybya

JDybya

Awards
  • Established
It takes some experimentation. Every body is different. I did once per week. As clean as I could, low fat...about 1g/lb protein then carbs to hit about 150% of my maintenance calories. Fat was about 50g or so.

Another good book I suggest is The Metabolic Solution.

memphis 77

Awards
I have been close to 0 carb for the last 4 months. Only trace carbs from green veggies. I have recently returned to the gym after about a 2 year hiatus for various reasons. I actually find it hard to get pumps and my muscles feel flat constantly.

I am thinking about doing a refeed every 2 weeks and then using one of the keto induce products to speed back into keto
i found the same problem my warm up weights are now my max it seems . I just have 2 be low carb indefinetly as i believe i ahve a carb intolerence for sure .

memphis 77

Awards
It takes some experimentation. Every body is different. I did once per week. As clean as I could, low fat...about 1g/lb protein then carbs to hit about 150% of my maintenance calories. Fat was about 50g or so.

Another good book I suggest is The Metabolic Solution.
thanx again JD - really apprecaite the help all the best sir

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
Yeah Ive done it multiple times, I become a major AssHat BUT it gets the job done. You just need to have a high amount of protein and some good fats in you

BUT it can be done.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
I run zero carb and lift. You lose strength initially but get used to it. I've made strength gains on keto but they don't come easy, and don't even think about it in a caloric deficit.

On the flip side my endurance goes off the charts. News is just starting to leak that cyclists and high endurance athletes run hardcore keto, some even try to hide it.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am switching from 0 carb to TKD today. Starting slow. Used grape juice (24gms carbs) prior to workout. Made a HUGE difference in pumps and muscle fullness. Planning on doing 24 before and 24 after workout and maintaining normal zero carb diet the rest of the day.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Good luck on no carb for life... Of course you feel flat, there's literally no glucose or glycogen, low carb targeted keto would be better approach to maintain strength and fullness

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
I am switching from 0 carb to TKD today. Starting slow. Used grape juice (24gms carbs) prior to workout. Made a HUGE difference in pumps and muscle fullness. Planning on doing 24 before and 24 after workout and maintaining normal zero carb diet the rest of the day.
If you're not in ketosis - which you probably won't be with that amount of carbs - then what is the reasoning behind zero carbs for the rest of the day? Just asking....

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
If you're not in ketosis - which you probably won't be with that amount of carbs - then what is the reasoning behind zero carbs for the rest of the day? Just asking....
Depending on the carb count and how much glucose is used ketosis is still possible.

jcam222

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am just using the 24 carbs in grape juice pre workout. Keto sticks at night still show a low amount of ketones. Even before adding juice in with less than 30 carbs per day I only show low ketones. Either way I prefer to limit carbs drastically as they trigger me to overeat.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm following the anabolic diet, best decision of my life

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
Muscle will be less full. Expect lower intensity workouts and extremely hard gains. I'd recommend a cyclical ketogenic type diet if your heart is set on cutting carbs. How about less of an extreme> 100-150grams workout days and <30gr on non-workout days?

onlybyland

Awards
I am currently blogging about lifting whilst on a low carb diet, less than 30g of carbs per day (not quite 0 carbs). I am on day 5 now, the first couple of days I had mad headaches, but my lifting is ok and I am feeling full of energy now! We will see how it goes throughout the next weeks! I will also do a cycle of Spartan Lean to maximize fat loss in this time.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
30 net carbs a day. Training 531 sucks but hypertrophy stuff isn't affected.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys, I'm on Day 2 of Keto. My goal is to hit roughly 2,200 calories for 167g of Protein, 50g or less of Carbs and 155g of Fat. How does that look?
There are more factors than that. Is that gross or net carbs? What's your body weight, training regimen, age, etc.

john.patterson

john.patterson

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, I'm on Day 2 of Keto. My goal is to hit roughly 2,200 calories for 167g of Protein, 50g or less of Carbs and 155g of Fat. How does that look?
If you're just starting keto, I would suggest getting carbs below 30g for the first week or two. Being more strict in the beginning will help your body make the shift to producing ketones quicker, and it will shorten the length of the "keto flu" you might feel. I always aim to <30g to make sure I get into ketosis quickly. Other than that, macros look good.

Are you doing CKD?

Joe12

Joe12

Awards
I attempted to cut out my main source of carbs (oats), it whipped me my out by 1:30 every day.

jhhutchison

jhhutchison

Awards
Its not like you cant slowly introduce carbs after you start at 20g a day or below. It is near impossible to cut all carbs out when you include the sucralose (splenda) many zero carb products contain or even the 1g of sugar eggs have. When your blood sugar gets low after about two weeks on keto you would benefit from adding a low GI impact fruit or two in before the workout or you may experience fatigue during workout/sluggishness.

DirtyWilly

DirtyWilly

Awards
  • Established
The sugar free is just weird to me. While I do keep some handy for cravings, manufacturers and institutions claim they don't raise blood sugar. In theory certain sugar free substitutes do in fact break down into sucrose and dextrose among a few and should raise blood sugar but they don't. I've tested this with my blood glucose meter many times. There's reports that it can raise blood sugar in diabetics, but the meter doesn't even budge every time I test it.

Interesting information about long term keto most might not know about... Your blood sugar will automatically raise the longer you're in keto, this is normal. When I first start keto or come off a large carb load into keto my blood sugar is usually low 80's, healthy normal. Over the course of a month the blood sugar will raise to nearly 100. It tends to go up about a point a day. This will also cause you to fail a blood glucose test if you take one coming directly off keto because the elevated blood sugar can make you spike over 120 on the test. Retake the test after 3 days of carbs.

I forget all the mechanisms behind this, but it's essentially why carb cycling may be beneficial to reset things. However, super long term strict keto, I'm talking not a single cheat day for 6 months (almost impossible for me to do) might yield different results. There are some reports that deep keto may produce different or even higher performance results. Right now it's mostly related to endurance sports, but evidence it could produce power gains too.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Have done keto diets for various lentghs of time. 1 month, 2 month, 1 week, etc. Have lifted and trained all the same. It can be more challenging in the first few weeks. Trust me once your body is fat adapted, for me takes around a full month, its much much easier and i actually had more energy. Thing is mentally its tough because your always flat and if your trying to build muscle its a mindf$ck

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Muscle will be less full. Expect lower intensity workouts and extremely hard gains. I'd recommend a cyclical ketogenic type diet if your heart is set on cutting carbs. How about less of an extreme> 100-150grams workout days and <30gr on non-workout days?
I get great, lean gains on a CKD. Usually with a PED in play though.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Need at least 20 gms of carbs otherwise brain starts doing crazy things...

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Also, it's nearly impossible to go completely 0 carb, because there are trace carbs everywhere. Only way to get 0 carbs is to just eat protein.

I've done that once, but still did refeeds on the weekend.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, it's nearly impossible to go completely 0 carb, because there are trace carbs everywhere. Only way to get 0 carbs is to just eat protein.

I've done that once, but still did refeeds on the weekend.
My favorite way to do it is with salmon steak and eggs. Grass fed butter and coconut oil. Thats litterally it. No veggies, nothing. I do that for a week or two annd the results are crazy. Definitely not a long term thing, but a great tool

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
My favorite way to do it is with salmon steak and eggs. Grass fed butter and coconut oil. Thats litterally it. No veggies, nothing. I do that for a week or two annd the results are crazy. Definitely not a long term thing, but a great tool
Dude that sounds so tasty!! I'm about to start another cut (coming back from an injury) and going to kickstart it with this (along with lots of fiber pills though). Thanks.

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
Dude that sounds so tasty!! I'm about to start another cut (coming back from an injury) and going to kickstart it with this (along with lots of fiber pills though). Thanks.
Psyllium husks or fresh ground flax seed beat fiber pills......too many pills to get enough fiber to make a difference....just saying

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
That's what I meant. I use bulk psyllium husk fiber

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lmao. After around a week my digestion normalized with no fiber... It was f'd up at first though man
I based it off of vince gorondas steak and egg, then added in some mountaindog influence and some salmon and viola!

Tank999

Tank999

Awards
  • Established
I based it off of vince gorondas steak and egg, then added in some mountaindog influence and some salmon and viola!
Great references! You wanna see an old school description of a protein diet, do a search for john mccallum protein diet from the old keys to progress series - he had it down solid over 40 years ago!