Anyone use pea or vegan protein instead of whey?

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Anyone use pea or vegan protein instead of whey?

If so, why? Is there any benefits from one or the other?

kboxer7

kboxer7

Awards
  • Established
I have bags of pea protein meat. It's actually pretty good.

Not a vegetarian or anything. Just like to mix it up a bit. Essentially it's like a ground beef alternative and has a very similar texture.

Haven't tried the pea protein powder yet. No real reason for me to switch from whey.

I have tried a few soy based protein powders ages ago but I hated the taste. Same with most soy meats (if you can call them that).

And there is the phytoestrogen issue that I hesitantly bring up as its been debated to death already.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I've tried a few and the tastes have always been awful and not as much protein as a whey protein powder.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My wife does ad we buy the vanilla flavored. It's not too bad tasting.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Back in the day when I was repping for lg they had a pea protein called lean protein. It actually was pretty tasty . Cost was prohibitive so it got DC'd.
It was good stuff. I'd still use it if it was around.

money0351

money0351

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like the taste and consistency of SAN Raw Fusion. It's:
Hypoallergenic
Naturally sweetened
Multi sources
And soy free
it apparently has a similar amino acid to whey and is fairly cheap price per serving

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have used all, and other than taste I have yet to see a protein powder do anything different in comparison to egg-pea-soy-whey. Even usp labs being the best, the flavor is great but no added weight or recovery enhanced compared to my diet. But still guilty of using in the morning out of convenience, so disregard my opinion, lol.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for your thoughts. Sounds like there is no benefits, but also no negatives. Its user preference. The main reason why I ask is because my wife keeps on suggesting it. She is kinda hippy'ish.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The benefit is primarily the fact that pea protein is highly soluble and easier to digest.

datsthat

datsthat

Awards
  • Established
The benefit is primarily the fact that pea protein is highly soluble and easier to digest.
Thanks. I'll give it a try....just to show my wife that I am reasonable.

LLN

LLN

Awards
  • Established
I like the taste and consistency of SAN Raw Fusion. It's:
Hypoallergenic
Naturally sweetened
Multi sources
And soy free
it apparently has a similar amino acid to whey and is fairly cheap price per serving
Strangely enough I came in to post about how disappointed with the flavor of SAN Raw Fusion Banana Nut

dave39

dave39

Awards
  • Established
I've tried multiple brands of pea protein. It is disgusting! Don't waste your money! I'd rather not get enough protein in my diet than drink that powdered puke.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
That makes this a must try for me. Thanks for that Kisaj.

Any brand "pure and healthy" w no BS in it? I'm ok w stevia.

PeteRyde

PeteRyde

Awards
Strangely enough I came in to post about how disappointed with the flavor of SAN Raw Fusion Banana Nut
I guess it's a matter of taste. I just ordered another banana nut one last week. I only use SAN Raw Fusion as my main protein shakes. Intolerant to dairy protein....(bugger I know!)
They don't taste as good as whey but I've tried a lot and I find SAN among the better ones.
Totally unrelated, but their protein bars are great for people who can't do dairy protein.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That makes this a must try for me. Thanks for that Kisaj.

Any brand "pure and healthy" w no BS in it? I'm ok w stevia.
We buy Naturade in the vanilla flavor. It uses fructose as the sweetner. It's the only all natural one we found that actually tasted good.