Anyone tried inject + topical together?

trytestim

Awards
Just getting back on TRT. I am trying compounded topical but if my DHT gets too high with the amount that it takes to get my Test level up, I might try this:
Use the amount of topical that gets me just under a max comfortable DHT level... then based on the Test level that gives me, top it off with once per week injection of cypionate.

My thought is that it still gives me the daily up and down of hormone levels to match my circadian rhythm (to my understanding is why topicals are superior in how you feel). The baseline test level I would maintain with the small amount of injectable might even have some great benefits.

What yall think?

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
More is not better when it comes to testosterone. Your levels and the possible side effects are going to be easier to manage by sticking to one thing or the other.
The higher your test levels are, the greater your chance of having estradiol issues to deal with.

trytestim

Awards
You have misread my point. Here's the deal:
The whole point of this is to keep my DHT in a good range while also getting my Test to a high/normal range. I am not trying to maintain a super human Test level.

Lets say hypothetically 100mg of topical alone gets my total test level to 700. But 100mg of topical also boosts my DHT to waaay higher than I want which causes my hair to fall out.

Then lets say that 150mg Test Cyp inject alone gets my Total T to 700. But it has a minimal effect on DHT.

Now my point is not to raise my Test by keeping those two doses the same (which would theoretically be a Total T of 1400). Instead, it is to tweak each dose so that together, it would equal 700. That would mean, again hypothetically, I would take a 75mg shot of Test Cyp/week and a daily dose of 50mg topical. The 50mg topical may keep my DHT where I want it and the 75mg Test Cyp shot would make up for what the lower dose of topical cannot reach. The benefit of keeping a topical in the protocol is to mimic the daily hormonal changes in a mans body intead of the steady level of straight injection. You sound like my wife whenever I was taking 2- 50mg shots of Test Cyp/week to lower acne flair up instead of 100mg once a week. "Why are you doubling the dose of Test?" she would say. She was worried the 2 shots would give me roid rage...lol, when in fact it was the same damn dose. Its just simple mis understanding but everyone on here should get this.

Now dont make me have to break this down even further....damn

Presa

Presa

Awards
  • Established
Here is what I just started doing. I'm injecting 10 units per day IM using an insulin syringe either quad or shoulder. The goal is to keep T levels stable like gels but without the mess and DHT issues. I get a total of .7 cc a week >100mg per week.

This is the Holy Grail. It's cheap and easy. Not sure why doctors are injecting larger amounts only once or twice a week, and who wants to pay what gels cost???

Presa

Presa

Awards
  • Established
Just to add one more thing on this daily insulin IM protocol; I can prep, and I can pull 10 units of test cyp. Into an insulin syringe and inject into my Delt IM faster that I can apply a tub of Testim and WAIT for it to dry before I can put a shirt on. I'm telling you, people are missing out not doing this. No mess, test levels are consistent, and painless injections.....

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
You have misread my point. Here's the deal:
The whole point of this is to keep my DHT in a good range while also getting my Test to a high/normal range. I am not trying to maintain a super human Test level.

Lets say hypothetically 100mg of topical alone gets my total test level to 700. But 100mg of topical also boosts my DHT to waaay higher than I want which causes my hair to fall out.

Then lets say that 150mg Test Cyp inject alone gets my Total T to 700. But it has a minimal effect on DHT.

Now my point is not to raise my Test by keeping those two doses the same (which would theoretically be a Total T of 1400). Instead, it is to tweak each dose so that together, it would equal 700. That would mean, again hypothetically, I would take a 75mg shot of Test Cyp/week and a daily dose of 50mg topical. The 50mg topical may keep my DHT where I want it and the 75mg Test Cyp shot would make up for what the lower dose of topical cannot reach. The benefit of keeping a topical in the protocol is to mimic the daily hormonal changes in a mans body intead of the steady level of straight injection. You sound like my wife whenever I was taking 2- 50mg shots of Test Cyp/week to lower acne flair up instead of 100mg once a week. "Why are you doubling the dose of Test?" she would say. She was worried the 2 shots would give me roid rage...lol, when in fact it was the same damn dose. Its just simple mis understanding but everyone on here should get this.

Now dont make me have to break this down even further....damn
Exactly what my doc prescribes. Injections to get your T baseline where you need it and a little compounded gel each day for rhythym and a satisfactory (but managable) DHT boost. Works perfect for me.

trendyhipster

Awards
I am half tempted to do this. I felt better physically when I was on the cream, but I am worried it would screw up the good levels I have of everything right now.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
Exactly what my doc prescribes. Injections to get your T baseline where you need it and a little compounded gel each day for rhythym and a satisfactory (but managable) DHT boost. Works perfect for me.
Sure, but in what ratios? He sounds like he wants to go about 50/50 with each.

trytestim

Awards
It will be different for everyone. People have different absorption rates and metabolisms. It will take periodic tests to get the right doses.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
Sure, but in what ratios? He sounds like he wants to go about 50/50 with each.
I'm 55 and suffered low T that was physiologically way below normal. Originally went AndroGel. It worked GREAT. Stable T levels in high normal range. The DHT boost was beautiful and libido was crazy for the first time in a long time. Unfortunately the DHT levels went 3x above normal with the dose I needed to get T in range and I started losing hair. So we switched to injections every 3 days which also worked great in getting T levels up and stable, however my DHT came back to low normal and I lost that great libido boost (although my hair stayed in place). So doc suggested a small amount of compounded test gel on the 2 days after my shot - a few drops spread on forearm - mostly for DHT boost and the feeling of normal daily T rhythym. I also use HCG the day before shot.

To answer your question Dragon, we really rely on the injections to do the bulk of the test replacement - maybe 90%. The gel is an augment, mostly for DHT boost (so it is spread thin over skin on forearm to get a good DHT conversion). And even though I do shots every 3 days and therefore don't have big peaks and valleys of T, the drops on the 2 days after the shot level out things even more. My T variation from shot day to next shot may be less than 20% but I only surmise.

Now my DHT is high normal and I have the libido of a much younger guy and I work out 5 days a week. Life is good.

I should mention this all took a couple of years, a lot of work, many blood tests, lots of trial and error and a great doctor - Shippen - who is one of the 3 or 5 best in the country for TRT. He wrote the book. Oh, and my friend Matrix helped a ton with nutrition evaluation, etc. It sure pays to live in southeastern PA!!

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
If injectable T does not increase DHT. I have drs patients apply a little bit of androgel to their nuts to increase dht.

OldGator

OldGator

Awards
  • Established
If injectable T does not increase DHT. I have drs patients apply a little bit of androgel to their nuts to increase dht.
That would certainly do it my friend : )
I've tried it but the alcohol in the AG burned my nuts for hours. I'll stick to forearms.

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established
To answer your question Dragon, we really rely on the injections to do the bulk of the test replacement - maybe 90%. The gel is an augment, mostly for DHT boost (so it is spread thin over skin on forearm to get a good DHT conversion).
Precisely what I was getting at.

fryzway

Awards
The gel and Test cyp is exactly what I was thinking of doing. I 'm glad I came up on this thread. I am going to see a Bio Identical Hormone doc up in Pitt, PA soon and I am going to mention doing this method to him. I love where my TT is right now @ 758 1 wk after injection. I had blood work done @ 8:00 am day of the injection before I did it so that to me is an awesome T level but I'm still having Anxiety issues and Lethargy. Granted my E2 and Prolactin are elevated but my sex drive is good. I can get a hard on whenever I want, pretty much on command, so does that mean my DHT is likely ok ? I am getting it tested tomorrow morning but I'm just curious. Can any of you guys pm me a source for the docs you mention in PA ?

DragonRider

Awards
  • Established