Anyone tried 30-10-30 training?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It was designed by Dr. Ellington Darden.
source: https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/growth-explosion-the-30-10-30-technique/

Basically, you take 80% of what you normally lift in good form for 10 reps and you do a negative for 30 seconds, followed immediately by 10 normal reps, and finishing off with another 30-second negative.

It's a full-body workout and you perform it only once a week. You increase the weight once you comfortably do 12 reps.

So if I can dumbbell press 80 lbs for 10 reps, then I would take 65 lbs and perform the exercise.

Thoughts?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
makes me think about how stretching after every set increases muscle growth

match

match

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I used this lifting routine to get my kids and wife lifting weights once per week.

The kids are both under 11 and have been doing it for 4 or 5 months now consistently and are learning both good form as well as falling in love with weight training.

My wife has since moved on to training 4 days a week with a new routine that better focuses on her fitness goals.

For an experienced lifter, I don't think training 1 day a week would cut it. But I could see myself incorporating an occasional 30-10-30 technique set into my exercises just to mix things up or possibly get over a plateau.

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I used this lifting routine to get my kids and wife lifting weights once per week.

The kids are both under 11 and have been doing it for 4 or 5 months now consistently and are learning both good form as well as falling in love with weight training.

My wife has since moved on to training 4 days a week with a new routine that bettee focuses on her fitness goals.

For an experienced lifter, I don't think training 1 day a week would cut it. But I could see myself incorporating an occasional 30-10-30 technique set into my exercises just to mix things up or possibly get over a plateau.
Now this is pretty sweet. Not everything is for everyone but love you found something to get your family into it.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
lost me at "good form"

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
makes me think about how stretching after every set increases muscle growth
Kind of like doggcrapp training right? I was listening to a seminar by Dr. Darden and it's pretty interesting his research and findings using his training principles. If you're interested I posted the vid below (it's an older video though)

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Looks like another typical fad thing to get lazy ppl to think they found the secret. It's overly complicated for little to no reason other then to make ppl think it's "special"

With that being said. Any style of workout where you can perform between about 3-30 reps and progressively overload over time will work to some degree