Unanswered Anyone skip calves?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I rarely do any straight calves work, I’m blessed with decent size calves from the beginning and do a lot of hill sprints and cardio workouts that makes my calves sore.

My question is, do I really need to lift calves for powerlifting?

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Endurance and cardio that works your calves is going to be different than weight training. I don't think you need to go nuts on them but 3-5 sets once week with weights is IMO needed just for balance overall in training and muscle growth. It's just like the guys at the gym who never work legs period, you can tell exactly who they are by looking at them.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Recommend heavy weight sets for calves, mainly because the calves are used to high rep work via your life.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Specifically for powerlifting? Probably not much. They’ll provide some stability. I squatted once after doing a little calf work (I was trying to decrease time in the gym by doing calves between sets) and I almost fell on my face. Most of the time, squats probably won’t even fatigue your calves, they aren’t a major mover. I’d hit them some at least to maintain strength so you don’t lose that stability, but you likely don’t need to work too hard. I definitely wouldn’t make it a priority.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Endurance and cardio that works your calves is going to be different than weight training. I don't think you need to go nuts on them but 3-5 sets once week with weights is IMO needed just for balance overall in training and muscle growth. It's just like the guys at the gym who never work legs period, you can tell exactly who they are by looking at them.
That’s the thing, you would never be able tell I never trained my calves and obviously I don’t skip “leg day”. I think they are “strong enough”, I was more thinking that I might miss out on something, but I probably just over thinking it... I can’t remember last time I did calves (if I ever did)

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've trained at a powerlifting gym for several years in the past. The only thing I saw people doing then was for calf/ankle mobility, but absolutely nothing to target calf strength. Perhaps prowler pushes, but those work the whole body.

Working calves is specifically for vanity, and with that being said, I have never trained calves because I've been blessed with naturally swole calves.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I don’t train calves directly anymore. More in cardio/conditioning as well.

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hill Sprints would work the Calves enough I'd reckon especially if you do those 2-3 times a week. I def think people should be working them though, from an aesthetics point... just do what I do and 2-3 times a week do 4x25 reps randomly in your rest periods lol

Sparta12

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Nothing but contempt for all you with naturally huge calves.
I trained the dogshit out of mine today so they can remain toothpicks.
I must have good genetics because mine are pretty decent, I do find hitting them on a weighted machine 4x25 then superset with single leg (no weight) 4x12-15 2-3 times a week, really helped mine develop

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I train calves like there’s no tomorrow. No matter what I do I can not get big calves. I have done everything imaginable. Still train them out of habit though

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Don’t train them directly. Lots of sprinting, jumping, jump rope, etc though.

Not epic calves but I’ve had people say they look solid so they can’t be too bad.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nothing but contempt for all you with naturally huge calves.
I trained the dogshit out of mine today so they can remain toothpicks.
I’m really tall too and somehow still have naturally large calves. It’s not normal/typical but I ain’t complaining hehe.. maybe I should train em with heavy prowler pushes and see what happens.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Read this:

SLOW and CONTROLLED Reps work wonders for Calves
Its all about mind-muscle connection and time under tension.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never had a woman tell me I had nice calves

:(

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
many powerlifters I’ve seen have huge calves, between heavy squats and dead’s, especially sumo you will be hitting the calves for sure. But adding in some accessory calf work could help if you want some hypertrophy. The big thing with calves is emphasizing the stretch at the bottom. The calves don’t usually experience that type of stimulus so it can be very effective. John meadows uses this a lot, as well as stretching under load at the end of sets. Things like partials and isoholds at the top can also be very good. On another note in DC training Dante would prescribe a set with a prolonged stretch at the bottom of each rep. Those sets are excruciating and worked pretty well for me. Also for cardio he had a protocol for the treadmill. High incline, leaning forward over the screen and essentially doing calf raises for every step.

jtmass

jtmass

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
many powerlifters I’ve seen have huge calves, between heavy squats and dead’s, especially sumo you will be hitting the calves for sure. But adding in some accessory calf work could help if you want some hypertrophy. The big thing with calves is emphasizing the stretch at the bottom. The calves don’t usually experience that type of stimulus so it can be very effective. John meadows uses this a lot, as well as stretching under load at the end of sets. Things like partials and isoholds at the top can also be very good. On another note in DC training Dante would prescribe a set with a prolonged stretch at the bottom of each rep. Those sets are excruciating and worked pretty well for me. Also for cardio he had a protocol for the treadmill. High incline, leaning forward over the screen and essentially doing calf raises for every step.
Started incorporating all what Dante has on Calves. Hoping to see some changes. His calf training is definitely brutal. Every time I train, DOMS comes along. Must be doing something right.

Shep_Zaide

Shep_Zaide

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yea I look like someone who skips leg day when I wear longer shorts lol hate having naturally leaner legs

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Read this:

SLOW and CONTROLLED Reps work wonders for Calves
Its all about mind-muscle connection and time under tension.
It drives me bonkers watching people bounce 300lbs on the calf press at lightning quick pace. And then walk away with small calves.
Spend an hour learning about the muscle and you’ll see great articles like this. Or simply watch someone with amazing calves.
S L O W controlled reps.
I try to make the negative twice as long too

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It drives me bonkers watching people bounce 300lbs on the calf press at lightning quick pace. And then walk away with small calves.
Spend an hour learning about the muscle and you’ll see great articles like this. Or simply watch someone with amazing calves.
S L O W controlled reps.
I try to make the negative twice as long too
Just like anything else in life. You can put the ball in their hands, but it is their decision to take the shot and use the advice. Can't win them all. I have pretty big calves for my frame, and people see me training them very slow, controlled, and with a large range of motion. Works a charm

BlockBuilder

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Calves are primarily genetic. Denis Wolfe had small calves. No amount of gear on earth could make his calves grow and he’s graced the Olympia stage so..

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I have big calves and I like Puerto Rican women lol

My ex (Puerto Rican) was obsessed with my legs too ha.. so this is true!
Ha! I knew it! I had a half Puerto Rican gf when I was 20.
I just remember her and a few others I met over the years. They never cared about my damn chest and were only disappointed by my calves...

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I am a powerlifter and have large calves by nature. However I do light hi rep work on the calf and front of the leg which really helps for proper knee tracking and for keep things un glued.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Just spoke with iron hands and all you need is one single set of calf raises with as much weight as you can handle for 8 reps...

Obviously if your not natural you need to do 10 reps.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Never, calves are one of my favorite body parts to blast. I spent so much time on them that I am addicted to seeing all the veins and comments I get. I grew them from 15" to almost 19" over the years and next to my traps, the body part I'm most proud of.