Anyone realize 99 % casual gym goers

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Don’t have any structure or strategy in their workouts

I never see anyone struggling to get th last couple reps on sets. I never see dudes panting between sets, I never see anyone in pain on the leg extension machine, or pushing near failure on bench, or pushing their limits

Yeah I sometimes observe what people do in the gym to see who is actually serious about it. It’s practically no one. People paying not attention to rest periods, sets, fsilure drop sets, let alone diet or consistency. I get not all gyms are like this but Jesus dude it’s 99 percent of people. Going for nothing

TheVenom

TheVenom

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hence the word "casual"

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
No, I generally don't pay attention to anyone in the gym. I get in, do my thing, and get out. I find that casual gym goers usually would notice this type of thing.
Well I’ve lifted since 17 that’s 6 years, was casual for 3 years. I’ve lost over 60lbs due to injuries and I’m still at it so I wouldn’t say I’m a casual noticing this kind of thing. No reason for the subtle attack LOL. Man, all I’m sayin is these dude dare wasting their time.
Ya know I saw a fb post the other day (which I fuckin hate btw) some dude telling someone else what to eat.
The diet was simply coffee a chicken breast and like a scoop a protein basic like that.
Dude had no idea about TDEE or how much protein versus bodyweight or fats or carbs. It’s like the stupid ass post I see all the time about tacos being bad. “I wanna look like that but tacos” tacos are literally just protein fats n carbs fit that **** into ur tdee and ur fine.

My point is these people don’t wanna put in the few minutes to research. It’s not rocket science but people justify their reason to not try. That’s the issue.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not everyone has the same goals and the quick judgment you make about someone from the short snapshot of what you see at the gym probably is an unfair assessment.

Could people use improvement or learn something in general? Sure. I bet I could find people who would look at you or other "non-casuals" and judge what you are doing as wrong too (there are always people better and more knowledgeable).

A lot of people in the gym may be highly successful in other areas of life that you know nothing about either, they may not have the time or know the best place to look for info to fix what they are doing wrong.

Sorry for the rant but these "look I am smarter than average gym people" posts on forums I'll usually skip but really what is the point of posting something like this?

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Not everyone has the same goals and the quick judgment you make about someone from the short snapshot of what you see at the gym probably is an unfair assessment.

Could people use improvement or learn something in general? Sure. I bet I could find people who would look at you or other "non-casuals" and judge what you are doing as wrong too (there are always people better and more knowledgeable).

A lot of people in the gym may be highly successful in other areas of life that you know nothing about either, they may not have the time or know the best place to look for info to fix what they are doing wrong.

Sorry for the rant but these "look I am smarter than average gym people" posts on forums I'll usually skip but really what is the point of posting something like this?
It’s just a rant. I didn’t think anyone would get soo upset by it. Jeez end it here then

Carnivorecon

Carnivorecon

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Bro they don’t want to get too big
Haha I love that one, like yeah I've been trying for 20 years to get big and I'm not nearly there but you, oh for sure you'll be huge if your not careful, you may not fit on a plane take it easy

dcoen21

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe people have injuries to assume people don’t go balls to the wall every set is dumb, how do you know how much they are contracting the muscle sometimes I can’t get 10-12 reps but my mind muscle connection is strong enough to know I got everything out of that set.

BeefPlanet

BeefPlanet

Awards
Lots of them are probably office workers looking for some stress relief. Hence no plan or strategy.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I was referring to people strictly in my age bracket (I’m 23) I’m not too worried what the older people are doin,

I just see people my age go and there is no structure, no plan, they no nothing about diet or how much protein to eat but they want to put on muscle.

I was DEFINITELY one of these people for like 4 years from 17-21

I’m just like man if you guys knew what to do you’d see some results but people go every week to the gym with no knowledge of diet being the driving force of muscle growth and they’re simply wasting their time

That’s all I meant by this post

I’m no expert my physique isn’t super amazing I’m not super strong however I’ve had a couple set backs etc but I’m just saying a lot know what they’re doing and twice as many do not

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I was referring to people strictly in my age bracket (I’m 23) I’m not too worried what the older people are doin,

I just see people my age go and there is no structure, no plan, they no nothing about diet or how much protein to eat but they want to put on muscle.

I was DEFINITELY one of these people for like 4 years from 17-21

I’m just like man if you guys knew what to do you’d see some results but people go every week to the gym with no knowledge of diet being the driving force of muscle growth and they’re simply wasting their time

That’s all I meant by this post

I’m no expert my physique isn’t super amazing I’m not super strong however I’ve had a couple set backs etc but I’m just saying a lot know what they’re doing and twice as many do not
That is why you should start your own youtube channel and get rich like Jeff Caveliere.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Those 99% should do some kind of sport instead to help build the discipline needed to take gym seriously. Lika that fat guy on youtube who loves to practice with his ninja swords and cut bottles in half.

WANTED

WANTED

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Those 99% should do some kind of sport instead to help build the discipline needed to take gym seriously. Lika that fat guy on youtube who loves to practice with his ninja swords and cut bottles in half.
I love that guy, lofl

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
No, I generally don't pay attention to anyone in the gym. I get in, do my thing, and get out. I find that casual gym goers usually would notice this type of thing.
^This^ Most of the times, unless it’s a close friend, I even avoid ppl I know so I won’t have to stop and say hi...

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
thankfully I've gone the garage gym route, but back in the day it was headphones in and nobody else exists. Sure, most people are just going through the motions, but it's still better than doing nothing and in the end doesn't matter.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
There will always be newbies, folks who don’t know gym etiquette, folks who are too rude to consider etiquette, and in general a huge percentage of gen pop doesn’t have the knowledge to get results or the drive to execute even if they did.

And that’s a-ok.

At some point you have to realize that being a serious lifter or physique enthusiast is the niche - YOU/WE are the insignificant minority. Most people are just trying to look or feel a little better. You can’t save ‘em all. All you can do is be helpful if asked. And don’t overload them. Good advice that won’t get followed is bad advice.

Last edited:
Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
As long as they aren't curling in my squat rack, or a group of four teenagers all working out together, I generally dont care.

Being the poster child for ectomorphs with the poorest of genetics, I do feel bad when I see a skinny guy doing DB curls. I want to slap a barbell across his back, but I do t have the time to save anybody. Barely have enough time to get myself to the gym.