Unanswered Anyone power lift and bodybuild?

Bigmatt57

Bigmatt57

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I’m 23, 5’6 and 172lbs, I used to play high school football and was one of those strongest ones on the team. Well today I decided to max out on all 4 lifts. Bench,Squat,Deadlift and powerclean. I haven’t done these lifts in a while as I mostly just do machines, Cables and dumbbells. I do barbell bench and barbell squat sometimes tho. Well I hit bench 335 for 3 reps (didn’t have spot), 475 deadlift, 425lb squat and 245 powerclean. I forgot how much I miss being strong. I’m thinking about hitting a 5x5 Bench,Squat,deadlift,powerclean workout in the morning 3x a week, along with my 5 day’s per week bodybuilding workout at night. Does anyone else bodybuild and powerlift?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So 8 training sessions a week? Sounds like something you could get away with for about a month before getting beat up good, longer if the bodybuilding sessions become really fluffy I guess. Why not incorporate the 5x5 big lifts into your existing 5 day split where they make the most sense, and drop some bodybuilding out temporarily to make it fit? You aren’t going to miss some Hammer strength pressing for 6 weeks if you are benching hard. And more time to recover means better strength progress. 2 a days is great to get into shape quick but a poor way to get strong as possible when you could be getting 5-10 more hours of sleep per week.

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I train for both but haven’t competed in either. Most people seem to think powerlifting and bodybuilding are mutually exclusive, but I don’t think they are. It’s possible to build muscle with lower rep sets while focusing on strength. As Hyde said, just incorporate into your regular training, no need to double up.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I train for both but haven’t competed in either. Most people seem to think powerlifting and bodybuilding are mutually exclusive, but I don’t think they are. It’s possible to build muscle with lower rep sets while focusing on strength. As Hyde said, just incorporate into your regular training, no need to double up.
Been doing both for close to a decade, best way to grow, especially if you spend much more of your time off then on.

E

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Never specifically trained for strength alone since developing a base. I've hovered around 185-190lb (5'11) for years at 10% bf or there abouts. My lifts don't really increase much if I try to maintain a lean condition. I have recently thought about throwing in the bodybuilders physique and seeing how strong I can get up to around 20% bf. I know at 200lb my lifts were around 100lb higher than at 185. I don't really get strong until the abs disappear and I've never been game enough to develop a keg like many of the strongmen and powerlifters but there's bound to be alot of strength gains made enroute to a big gut. There's a pretty hefty trade off between strength/size and bf % particularly for a natty.

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
There's a pretty hefty trade off between strength/size and bf % particularly for a natty.
Personally, I disagree. Staying lean (not shredded, just regular lean) can improve hormone levels and insulin sensitivity. Also, if you do ever want to cut, it gives you a better starting point. I can get stronger while staying lean, even when “natty”.

JeremyNG25

JeremyNG25

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I disagree. Staying lean (not shredded, just regular lean) can improve hormone levels and insulin sensitivity. Also, if you do ever want to cut, it gives you a better starting point. I can get stronger while staying lean, even when “natty”.
How can you disagree with his statement? That was a fact. Not an opinion

E

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Lucky you. For me there's a very marked difference in performance. I do stay lean for the health benefits. It's a worthwhile trade off.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
[citation needed]
🤣 ^this guy...

How about why weight classes even are a thing in strength sport? How about that the all-time squat, bench, deadlift, logpress, axle, circus db, atlas stone world records are all held by superheavyweights?

It is common knowledge that an individual with all of the same amount of muscle, if you could add pure fat and water weight on top of that, the increased leverage and inertia alone allows for greater maximal strength potential, all other things being equal.

Now, they’re not all equal, as you alluded to: natural hormones will be less optimal, endurance will be impacted, health worsened. There have been men with abs that won world’s strongest man, which tests many athletic qualities. But to speak generally, the heaviest you that has at least the same muscle on board is the most powerful version of you.

J

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do see your point. But comparing different weight classes is total size, obviously, and the different relative amounts of muscle and fat aren’t accurately compared, I feel. Oh well, maybe I’m just stubborn. Also, I don’t have any personal experience, with my metabolism and work out schedule, I cant seem to add body fat for anything. Been trying to bulk since high school, have yet to lose my abs.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Everyone here is looking at a bunch of different things and putting them all together. What matters is...
1. Genetic potentiality
a. Regulates muscle type
b. Regulates metabolism
c. Regulates anabolism
d. Regulates hormonal responses
2. Training
a. Elicits muscle type changes
b. Elicits metabolic changes
c. Elicits anabolic response
d. Elicits hormonal responses

The fact of the matter is that your genetics is what determines what type of training regimen is going to produce the most results. Especially for people who are “natty”, although it absolutely also matters for those on PED’s.

Now it appears that the OP has some really good foundational strength and that he could do a lot of things, but in my opinion those numbers untrained look like good foundations for an Olympic Lifter.

Huge fat dudes are great for powerlifting for a simple reason, F=m*a. Big dudes can move big weight because they are big. (Not to mention being hyperinsulemic all day means their body is in constant growth, body-wide) It takes a huge toll on the body long-term.

Bodybuilders have aesthetically driven muscle. Not saying they aren’t strong. The worlds top bodybuilders are incredibly strong (Ronnie Coleman anybody?) But come show day and at 3%-5% body fat holding those poses is like sprinting a mile for them. Exhausting. Hours upon hours and clean eating out the ass.

Finally, the Olympic Weightlifter is the happy place between the two. Fluffy enough to move weight but skinny enough to make weight class (until you start getting to the higher weights but those guys are freaks). 5’ tall 125 lb North Korean women Clean and Jerking 350 lbs, and Snatching almost 300. It’s where strength and size are pushed to their limits.

So, my suggestion to the OP? Get off the cable rows, find a gym that does SERIOUS Olympic Weightlifting, eat a donut and start competing. You’ve got good strength and with some time and learning technique I’m sure you’ll do some good stuff.

Just my $0.02...

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
5/3/1 program
One big power lift per day 4 days a week. Ramp to one max out set as many reps as you can get at 75% load one week, 80% load next week, 85% load the 3rd week. I add a +5% load joker set after each AMRAP. Following the big lift there is an assistance template. I kinda just do this on my own I’m currently doing a bodybuilding style template and get my volume work and time under tension work in. I add an arm day as well. Now I’m able to get away with this volume and still make progress on the big lifts. If that progress stops I have to make tough decision about focusing more on strength or volume work. But IMO you should have some strength focus no matter your goal.

I love Wendler’s 5/3/1 program. Nothing I have ever done is as easy to work as this...

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5/3/1 program
One big power lift per day 4 days a week. Ramp to one max out set as many reps as you can get at 75% load one week, 80% load next week, 85% load the 3rd week. I add a +5% load joker set after each AMRAP. Following the big lift there is an assistance template. I kinda just do this on my own I’m currently doing a bodybuilding style template and get my volume work and time under tension work in. I add an arm day as well. Now I’m able to get away with this volume and still make progress on the big lifts. If that progress stops I have to make tough decision about focusing more on strength or volume work. But IMO you should have some strength focus no matter your goal.

I love Wendler’s 5/3/1 program. Nothing I have ever done is as easy to work as this...
This is a great way to do it, use 5/3/1 to program the big lift then on to hypertrophy training. 5/3/1 is a great way to control progression without ramping things unsustainably fast, but also ensures longterm you are moving your big lifts up (key to getting bigger over years).

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
This is a great way to do it, use 5/3/1 to program the big lift then on to hypertrophy training. 5/3/1 is a great way to control progression without ramping things unsustainably fast, but also ensures longterm you are moving your big lifts up (key to getting bigger over years).
Instead of bastardizing a program in a departure from how it’s meant to be ran why not just run a program that is intended to combine strength training and hypertrophy ?

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Instead of bastardizing a program in a departure from how it’s meant to be ran why not just run a program that is intended to combine strength training and hypertrophy ?
How is it bastardized

AmateurStrong

AmateurStrong

Awards
How is it bastardized[/

5/3/1 was not designed as a bodybuilding program or for a bunch of hypertrophy to be layered on it on your whim

So instead of bastardizing a program beyond its purpose find something more in line with your goal

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Because everyone bastardizes 5/3/1 and it pretty much always still works.

The base template of 5/3/1 is just that - a structure for the main lifts. As long as there’s enough recovery, progress will be made. Just like any other program under the sun, if effort and consistency are applied and recoverability isn’t overrun, it will work for a time.

OP inherently wants a compromise - you can’t serve two masters to the fullest at once. Gonna have to use a hybrid setup and get mixed results, something like this or PHAT, etc.

Plus I know he just hit PCT so he isn’t going to be getting more jacked right now anyway. There should be some heavy lifting present.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5/3/1 is fantastic for building strength. Time and time again it works.

But I think the OP’s post was a much bigger scope question. He’s looking for a direction between bodybuilding and powerlifting.

I think a guy his size and his strength but obviously wanting to look like he is in shape that bodybuilding and powerlifting are at odds with one another (IF HE WANTS TO STAY NATTY). He’s risking looking like a bowling ball long-term. I’ve seen it happen too many times with shorter guys who get into bodybuilding and just end up doing casual “powerlifting”

That’s why I suggested Olympic Weightlifting. Death by volume, heavy lifting, competitive atmosphere and the OP is young enough to really advance himself. Anybody can compete in the American Open.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5/3/1 is fantastic for building strength. Time and time again it works.

But I think the OP’s post was a much bigger scope question. He’s looking for a direction between bodybuilding and powerlifting.

I think a guy his size and his strength but obviously wanting to look like he is in shape that bodybuilding and powerlifting are at odds with one another (IF HE WANTS TO STAY NATTY). He’s risking looking like a bowling ball long-term. I’ve seen it happen too many times with shorter guys who get into bodybuilding and just end up doing casual “powerlifting”

That’s why I suggested Olympic Weightlifting. Death by volume, heavy lifting, competitive atmosphere and the OP is young enough to really advance himself. Anybody can compete in the American Open.
He isn’t natty. He is almost 2 weeks into PCT. He can’t compete legally in any sanctioned weightlifting competition.

Besides, many powerlifters are lean and jacked - they have weightclasses just like weightlifting. There will always be Dmitri Klokovs & Dan Greens in the mid range weight classes and guys like Malanichev & Lasha in the respective superheavies. The sport doesn’t determine bodyfat, diet does.