Anyone here a medical tech, specifically a Polysomnography(sleep study technologist)

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Long story short, after being in and out of college I finally decided what to do. I wanted to work in the medical field because of the pay. I originally wanted to do MRIs, but I would need to get a radiology license first and go through all these other classes and might not even get picked. Being how I'm about to turn 29, I wanted something more secure and that I could get done way quicker. So, that's when I found out about being a sleep study tech. There is a program in my college that doesn't require any prerequisites(I know, I'm shocked too) and it's a year and a half program. I was wondering if anyone here does this job, or any jobs that are similar. What is the pay like and how hard is it to find work? I'm hoping to get in the $50,000 a year range for accredited, since that's the average as long as I'm not in a low tech state, such as West Virginia.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Double check the job market for that field.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I hear ya bro. But seriously, in general, don't want to be obligated to loans and your geographic area has only a few jobs and they are already locked down.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I hear ya bro. But seriously, in general, don't want to be obligated to loans and your geographic area has only a few jobs and they are already locked down.
Financial aid and my god father knows the head super visor of the department at the local hospital. I figure that might help.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Look into being a physical therapy assistant or pharmacy technician.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Look into being a physical therapy assistant or pharmacy technician.
Do techs make around the same? I can't get into a physical therapist assistant program, because the only place close that offers it is smack dab in the ghetto.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Do techs make around the same? I can't get into a physical therapist assistant program, because the only place close that offers it is smack dab in the ghetto.
The pharmacy techs makes less. I think it's more around 30-40 thousand a year around here.

Physical therapy assistant would be the best route out of the two money wise, and it would definitely be more fun. You could look into a 2 year nursing program that allows you to sit for both the LPN and RN exam, or become an LPN and eventually do a bridge program to get a bachelors.

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
I make 70k a year didnt even go to college.to be honest i have an easy job to.if you go to school that long 50k a year is joke.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I make 70k a year didnt even go to college.to be honest i have an easy job to.if you go to school that long 50k a year is joke.
That's great. Absolutely worthless information considering you didn't mention what you do.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That's great. Absolutely worthless information considering you didn't mention what you do.
Sometimes ppl need to stroke their egos via the interwebz.

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
Not ego and its great info regardless of what i do. The point was if you go to school that long 50k a year is ludicrous. Expand your goals.

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you want to finish your 4 year degree and are well spoken, then look into medical sales. Pharma, lab, device, etc. pay wise you can start out with a base of $50k and bonus potentially to 6 figures. Just a thought

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And to build on Thor's suggestion, most insurance companies have entry positions with any 4 yr degree. I live in PGH and there are at least 4 major companies here. And within a few yrs, a lot of people transition to work from home (not that it's easier, but it helps if geographic location isn't flexible )

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not ego and its great info regardless of what i do. The point was if you go to school that long 50k a year is ludicrous. Expand your goals.
I have yet to see you ever give "great info" you're a complete moron.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'd also recommend looking into pharm or medical sales. Understanding that it is geographical with wages and col, but I do have to agree that it is not worth going to school for an undergrad to seek a $50k annual job. It creates a debt that is difficult to pay off for little reward. I know a handful of people in medical sales and they generally start with a $50-60k base and then add commission, averaging in the low 6 figures. All commission routes are an option, but usually not recommended unless you are a hustler or seasoned, then you can be looking at $200k+ annuals.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Great info is why waste all that time and money for 50k a year? Anyone that does that is a moron.
There are hundreds of necessary jobs that require degrees that start out at less than $50,000 a year. Teachers, social workers, architects. You're saying all these people are morons?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll put it bluntly guys, a pharmacy tech isn't going to pay what I want. To put it bluntly, at some point I want to at some point cure the arthritis in my back from years of having flat feet and as you all know stem cells are expensive. Idc if I have to pay off stem cell injections for 10 years, just as long as I can get them. A $50,000 plus a year job is the only way I can see that happening, while still being able to live on my own.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Great info is why waste all that time and money for 50k a year? Anyone that does that is a moron.
Dude, the program is only an 18 month program and it's covered under financial aid for me. I mean all of it is covered, so no debt. It's one of the only certification programs that is covered.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
If you're comfortable with sales and you're a good looking person then try becoming a pharmaceutical rep. Lol

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're comfortable with sales and you're a good looking person then try becoming a pharmaceutical rep. Lol
No, in fact the opposite job would be ideal. That's why I wanted to do sleep study tech, because I like working with machines. I was looking into elevator repair, but I don't want to die working in an elevator lol.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
No, in fact the opposite job would be ideal. That's why I wanted to do sleep study tech, because I like working with machines. I was looking into elevator repair, but I don't want to die working in an elevator lol.
I figured you already knew of the sales route and didn't want to do that, which is why it wasn't mentioned. I'm like you, I would hate sales and can't stand salesmen in the first place. Very rarely I get a good one that isn't just flat out annoying.

I generally don't think it's a good idea to get a degree in such a specific job category, unless it is one that has very good job security.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I figured you already knew of the sales route and didn't want to do that, which is why it wasn't mentioned. I'm like you, I would hate sales and can't stand salesmen in the first place. Very rarely I get a good one that isn't just flat out annoying.

I generally don't think it's a good idea to get a degree in such a specific job category, unless it is one that has very good job security.
I guess I'll have to see. Like I said my god father knows the head supervisor at the local hospital. That at least gives me a heads up. Still makes me mad that if I want to go the physical therapist assistant route, I have to go right in the ghetto were the Baltimore riots took place, or somehow travel 50 miles to another county. Yeah, let's put our medical programs right in the ghetto, so that our potential future doctors can all get killed. Baltimore logic.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

If any of you guys know about different personality types, I'm a textbook ISTP. That means I'm blunt, truthful and not cutout to be a con marketing person lol. Apparently ISTPs make good CEOs though lol.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Meyers Briggs test is cool with the exception, we're picking what we think we closely resemble and project what we THINK we resemble.

Take that test with a grain of salt.

You sound more-so like you're chasing an income instead of a career.

What do you currently do? What "work" experience do you have now?

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
Dude, the program is only an 18 month program and it's covered under financial aid for me. I mean all of it is covered, so no debt. It's one of the only certification programs that is covered.
I must have misread the op sorry.good luck.

berazzled

berazzled

Awards
  • Established
There are hundreds of necessary jobs that require degrees that start out at less than $50,000 a year. Teachers, social workers, architects. You're saying all these people are morons?
Guess it depends on the motive.if money isnt the motive then id say no they are not morons.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The Meyers Briggs test is cool with the exception, we're picking what we think we closely resemble and project what we THINK we resemble.

Take that test with a grain of salt.

You sound more-so like you're chasing an income instead of a career.

What do you currently do? What "work" experience do you have now?
Unemployed and had to get multiple surgeries. I'm about to get another Friday. I've only worked in retail.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unemployed and had to get multiple surgeries. I'm about to get another Friday. I've only worked in retail.
Management isn't a terrible gig either. I'm a manager of a retail setting and make 40k+

Granted, we have no debt (student loans are the last to go lol)

Anyhow, instead of putting your income 1st, look into finding a career you'll enjoy.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

I spent 10+ years in the IT industry working for a very large WISP. Once I realized how well I worked with people I moved to sales. The money is better and there is less stress. I never finished a degree, however I make more than most IT (minus programmers) in my area.

But it's awesome you mentioned not liking salespeople. I've always said I will never take a job where I'd have to be shady. I'm more account managing/consulting.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Management isn't a terrible gig either. I'm a manager of a retail setting and make 40k+

Granted, we have no debt (student loans are the last to go lol)

Anyhow, instead of putting your income 1st, look into finding a career you'll enjoy.
That's the thing though, I think I'd like MRI the best; however all the hassle isn't worth it. I don't think I'd LIKE sleep study tech, or PT assistant, but I think I can be pretty content with those jobs. See guys I have a certain let's say social disorder. I can hide it pretty well and only my close friends know. So I'm worried in a job like sales, that may be an issue.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I spent 10+ years in the IT industry working for a very large WISP. Once I realized how well I worked with people I moved to sales. The money is better and there is less stress. I never finished a degree, however I make more than most IT (minus programmers) in my area.

But it's awesome you mentioned not liking salespeople. I've always said I will never take a job where I'd have to be shady. I'm more account managing/consulting.
I suppose I should have specified salesmen that work on commission, they tend to be the ones I walk away from even if I want what they are selling. I'll put off buying something for months if the person selling it annoys me. Lol

I was looking at a truck online I really liked, it said "email for price." I emailed asking the price, got a quick response saying I will get back to you on the price when I get to work in the morning..

The next couple of days I received probably 8 emails from the dealership and salesmen asking me to give them a number to call them on and never once received the price of the truck.

They still have the best prices I've seen on trucks but I refuse to give them my business after that. Lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

The difference in IT sales is that you are providing a solution to a problem. It is a much different sell. I've worked as a sales engineer in the past for a couple of large software companies and you literally are helping the customer with problems they may not even realized they had.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The difference in IT sales is that you are providing a solution to a problem. It is a much different sell. I've worked as a sales engineer in the past for a couple of large software companies and you literally are helping the customer with problems they may not even realized they had.
I should rephrase, I did IT tech support/networking then switched to sales. I did sell Internet for few years with that company, however now I sell retail display solutions.

cubsfan815

cubsfan815

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I suppose I should have specified salesmen that work on commission, they tend to be the ones I walk away from even if I want what they are selling. I'll put off buying something for months if the person selling it annoys me. Lol

I was looking at a truck online I really liked, it said "email for price." I emailed asking the price, got a quick response saying I will get back to you on the price when I get to work in the morning..

The next couple of days I received probably 8 emails from the dealership and salesmen asking me to give them a number to call them on and never once received the price of the truck.

They still have the best prices I've seen on trucks but I refuse to give them my business after that. Lol
Ugh, I hate that. My wife and I drove 1.5 hours away once for a Kia Sorento that was exactly what we wanted. The sales guy assured us that it was great deal. We got there and he brought us 4 Kias, none that was the one online. My wife flipped out on him. He said well...what are you gonna do?? She said buy a car from someone else, that's what the F**K we are gonna do.

It was funny AF lol

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Get in a field you enjoy, move into management and profit. Just realise that if money is all you seek, you will never be satisfied. Get in a field you enjoy, put all your effort into learning the ins and outs of it and the money will follow once you move up the ladder in any corporation.

My partner works in retail - a field many dismiss as low pay - yet she does so well at it that in her position she makes 80k+. She started on minimum wage and worked her way up the ladder. More importantly though, she loves her job and the pay is just an added bonus. The keys are getting into a company that has room for growth and one that values staff who work hard (don't just jump into the first business that offers you a job if there is no potential for growth unless you just want experience).

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Get in a field you enjoy, move into management and profit. Just realise that if money is all you seek, you will never be satisfied. Get in a field you enjoy, put all your effort into learning the ins and outs of it and the money will follow once you move up the ladder in any corporation.

My partner works in retail - a field many dismiss as low pay - yet she does so well at it that in her position she makes 80k+. She started on minimum wage and worked her way up the ladder. More importantly though, she loves her job and the pay is just an added bonus. The keys are getting into a company that has room for growth and one that values staff who work hard (don't just jump into the first business that offers you a job if there is no potential for growth unless you just want experience).
Sound advice here