Anyone have much success with GVT (german volume training)

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
That is the 10x10 protocol with 90 second rest intervals. Looking at doing this for squats and it's always good to her of other peoples results with a given program.

Br1ck_Sh1thouse

Awards
  • Established
That is the 10x10 protocol with 90 second rest intervals. Looking at doing this for squats and it's always good to her of other peoples results with a given program.
It will make you curl up in a ball on the floor sucking your thumb and you finally get up to take a crap, sitting on the crapper will make cry all over again, assuming you do the GVT right! And you will GROW!

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
Had great success with it, especially on leg development, when on cycle..... I tried doing a 9 week GVT run not taking anything and the recovery killed me, tired all the time and almost gave up at one point haha either be packing in some serious calories or be running some compound, the intensity is second to none if done right!

Sniper9191

Sniper9191

Awards
Yes a buddy and myself did it at separate times on squats and we both had great results. Be prepared to be mentally tough and eat a lot for recovery!

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I believe a recent study showed the results to be a little subpar but many ppl have enjoyed it. I wasn't the largest fan of it myself.

Just be sure to eat plenty

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've run it several times, generally an 8-12 week run every couple years and I would see a nice change in body comp, but it really hurts strength when coming off and moving to another program. Plus, I found it really hard on my joints and I was constantly sore. The pros v cons don't make it worth it for me as there are many ways to improve body comp.

CJuggernaut

CJuggernaut

Board Sponsor
Awards
I used it back in the day, built a solid foundation from it and moved on...

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Sounds great so far. I've tried a few of the other cookie cutter squat programs in the past such as Smolov and 20 rep squats and made great gains but have adapted so a kick in the ass to get back on the gain train would be nice. I do enjoy the agony when it brings some solid gains. Will definitely give it a try.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
It will make you curl up in a ball on the floor sucking your thumb and you finally get up to take a crap, sitting on the crapper will make cry all over again, assuming you do the GVT right! And you will GROW!
Lol will pin this to the wall in front of my power rack for inspiration. Cheers bro!

btothefman

Awards
Yeah I have but only throw it in every now and then as it gets a little boring, 4 exercises 10 sets of 10.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
DC training style for squats is also pretty killer.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
I'm only doing it for squats training every 5th day at the moment. I reckon 90 seconds rest is insufficient in my case or perhaps I shouldn't factor in unracking. Cannot do more than 7x10 for my 20rm. I'm basically stop watching for a strict 60 seconds between sets to factor in getting under the bar and unracking which would bring the total to under 90 seconds. It's definitely up there with Smolov and the likes of 20 rep squat routines. Regardless I'll be pushing for extra reps each workout until I get to 100 rather than increasing rest time.

Reason I didn't adopt it for upper body is I already do many times the volume GVT calls for on upper body training so I'd be taking a step backwards applying GVT there. I have considered using GVT as a deload program there though.

HTGduck

HTGduck

Awards
  • Established
Week 1 of GVT I was squatting 135 for 10x10
Week 8 of GVT I was squatting 245 10x10. Keep in mind I was pretty new to training tho so some of that was newbie gains. Regardless, I loved the results.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Yeah those are great gains. I made similar on smolov also when I was a beginner. Third squat session on GVT. Nothing to report apart from DOMS for 4 days. I have a feeling I won't get too much out of it having run high volume programs in the past. My beginner gains are well behind me. If I can increase my 1rm squat by 10-20lb over the next 8-12 weeks that'd be phenomenal.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Managed 75 rep total in todays workout for squats. Not getting any easier infact first time I've thrown up and passed out in a long time. I love the pump my quads get from the 4th set on. I'm still not sure if I'd see greater benefit by increasing rest periods in the last couple sets and finishing 10x10 or stay strict on the rest periods and just shoot for more reps as I am doing.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
GVT is really a great option for those wanted to go light (change of pace) and see strength and growth results. I'm on week 2 of it and I'm doing it 2-3x a week.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
4th squat workout. I guess I'm not actually doing 10x10 at all yet.
gone from 65,70,75,81 reps. Hopefully 90 and finally 100 in 2 workouts or 30 days total. Then will add more weight and go again for a month. I'm definitely adapting to the volume as I'm finding muscle pain more profound in relation to breathing. First 3 workouts I felt like I was gonna die of suffocation. As for GVT in upper body training (pullups, bench, bent rows) I don't find it challenging at all and perhaps somewhat boring.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
4th squat workout. I guess I'm not actually doing 10x10 at all yet.
gone from 65,70,75,81 reps. Hopefully 90 and finally 100 in 2 workouts or 30 days total. Then will add more weight and go again for a month. I'm definitely adapting to the volume as I'm finding muscle pain more profound in relation to breathing. First 3 workouts I felt like I was gonna die of suffocation. As for GVT in upper body training (pullups, bench, bent rows) I don't find it challenging at all and perhaps somewhat boring.
It can be boring but it should def be challenging. Around set 6-7 you should be somewhat struggling with your final few reps. If you aren't, you need to add weight.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Managed 75 rep total in todays workout for squats. Not getting any easier infact first time I've thrown up and passed out in a long time. I love the pump my quads get from the 4th set on. I'm still not sure if I'd see greater benefit by increasing rest periods in the last couple sets and finishing 10x10 or stay strict on the rest periods and just shoot for more reps as I am doing.
Hey man, just keep at it. GVT squats are brutal. If you can't get 10 sets then lower the weight a little bit. I alternate between GVT and windowmakers for squats. Usually squat 2-3x a week now. Love it.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Cheers mate, if I don't get my 10x10 in the next 2 workouts I'll be lowering the weight as you suggest. It's challenging for upper body (I do fall short on reps the last few sets) just not brutal as squats. What are windowmakers btw?

Juicedeez utz

Juicedeez utz

Awards
  • Established
If you're hitting 81 and processing each time, don't drop the weight! Just keep at it! A widowmaker is normally 1 set 20 reps as heavy as you can go, using the rest pause method without racking the weight until you're done ahah brutal yet very effective! If you're legs are shaking and you don't want to throw up when you're done you didn't go heavy enough!

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
I thought breathing squats (pick a weight you can do for about 10, then do 10, breathe, do another rep, breathe, until you get 20 and/or pass out first) was brutal (but very effective) but 10 x 10 squats with 90 sec rest sound even worse

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
oh yeah, I call those widowmakers 20 rep squats. Using a weight you can do for only 10 reps and forcing 20. I did that for 2 months before GVT. Was a killer too! Am finding GVT squats more brutal so far. I go to failure, as in I can do 81 reps and no more even if I stand it out. Quads are just completely fried. The last few sets are already very drawn out breathing squats like in widowmakers. I'm very happy with the progress so far seeing a half inch increase on the quads in 20 days as of todays measurements.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Eh, somewhat.

Windowmakers are (from what I remember when studying DC training) is 20 reps total for 1 working set but reps 1-10 you can't stop/take a breather. Reps 11-20 you can stop at the top of your positive rep and chill for a second.

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
Well, the reason you can't stop is because you pick a weight you can do for about 10 reps to failure. Then when you get to 11-20, you have to take a couple breaths paused at the top in order to complete another rep. You keep doing that until you hit 20 reps. I used to do these fairly regularly and when you get close to the 20 rep mark you almost can't even see anything but are just focusing internally on getting that weight up one more time and not passing out. And then you grow.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well, the reason you can't stop is because you pick a weight you can do for about 10 reps to failure. Then when you get to 11-20, you have to take a couple breaths paused at the top in order to complete another rep. You keep doing that until you hit 20 reps. I used to do these fairly regularly and when you get close to the 20 rep mark you almost can't even see anything but are just focusing internally on getting that weight up one more time and not passing out. And then you grow.
I did these with leg press on Saturday. Reps 17-20 were so brutal I didn't stop to take a pause. I just went through it and my legs KILLED me after!

Justlooking5

Justlooking5

Awards
LOL I've done that too. They stimulate a great whole body growth response though.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Workout 5 on squats with GVT. Wanted 90, got 90. The last few sets are agony but the last 5 reps were just debilitating and not done by my conscious mind. My rationale had gone on vacation and i was now on autopilot. Toughest single workout I've done. The pain in my quads never left. I've had DOMS but never instant onset muscle soreness. Virtually no sleep last night as my legs were throbbing.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Workout 5 on squats with GVT. Wanted 90, got 90. The last few sets are agony but the last 5 reps were just debilitating and not done by my conscious mind. My rationale had gone on vacation and i was now on autopilot. Toughest single workout I've done. The pain in my quads never left. I've had DOMS but never instant onset muscle soreness. Virtually no sleep last night as my legs were throbbing.
Let the growth begin!

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Did GVT on bench yesterday. Was only able to do 205 for all of my sets but that was my first time doing it for chest. Loved it. Takes so long though!

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Nice work R1balla keep us posted how it goes! You doing it on squats aswell? How frequently are you training each muscle group BTW? I agree it's a bit drawn out especially on upper body movements. On squats you kinda wish you had more time to rest lol.

My 6th squat workout done today so that takes care of the first month of GVT. I was a bit disappointed not to meet my goal of 100 reps. Had talked myself into getting there no mattter what. I went to bed early, loaded up on carbs the night before and psyched myself up to murder each set. I managed 93 + about a 5 minute pause trying to force out some extra reps. Took one last deep breath and went for it. Mind went blank transitioning to the concentric and as my vision came to I found the bar was resting at the wrong end (safety pins). ROMS is here again.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Nice work R1balla keep us posted how it goes! You doing it on squats aswell? How frequently are you training each muscle group BTW? I agree it's a bit drawn out especially on upper body movements. On squats you kinda wish you had more time to rest lol.

My 6th squat workout done today so that takes care of the first month of GVT. I was a bit disappointed not to meet my goal of 100 reps. Had talked myself into getting there no mattter what. I went to bed early, loaded up on carbs the night before and psyched myself up to murder each set. I managed 93 + about a 5 minute pause trying to force out some extra reps. Took one last deep breath and went for it. Mind went blank transitioning to the concentric and as my vision came to I found the bar was resting at the wrong end (safety pins). ROMS is here again.
Thanks man! I'm doing alternating weeks. Week one I hit everything once except legs. Which is twice a week. The second week I do a push/pull routine

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Squat workout 7. Got 72 reps total. Ooops! Been feeling run down the last couple days. Surrounded by a household of sick people and although I don't have signs of the flu yet I have an inkling my body is fighting something especially considering the drastic loss in performance. I knew it was going to be a grind when a relatively light weight felt heavy on my shoulders from the get-go. Extremely disappointed, as you know it becomes an obsession to improve especially this far into a program. Feel you have an obligation to better your last effort every workout in order to feel it has all been worthwhile. Nevermind. i'll eat like a horse and rest up and keep grinding away.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Another oops, I just realized the program calls for a 2 week deload after the 6th workout. Mid quad measurement is up to 26". That's +3/4" in a month. I'm pleased with the results so far. Here's to hoping for 27" quads after 12 weeks but ofcourse I'll be happy with any small improvement. I'd have to do some serious catch up work for upper body if I hit that mark though.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Another oops, I just realized the program calls for a 2 week deload after the 6th workout. Mid quad measurement is up to 26". That's +3/4" in a month. I'm pleased with the results so far. Here's to hoping for 27" quads after 12 weeks but ofcourse I'll be happy with any small improvement. I'd have to do some serious catch up work for upper body if I hit that mark though.
Once a week I pick a muscle group to do GVT. I don't really follow the entire GVT program because I don't have the time for that. Good luck with the deload!

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Fair enough and thanks man. You getting anything out of incorporating GVT thus far? Yeah the deload came at the right time. Typical flu symptoms coming on now. Will just train through it though considering it's half volume.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The one thing I always hated about GVT was the flu feeling all the time.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
lmao that's one way to describe it. It's been good fun though unlike actual flu. If it weren't for the squats it's really quite an easy going routine for upper body movements. Pain and gain seem to go hand in hand as my legs are the only measurement that has increased.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Fair enough and thanks man. You getting anything out of incorporating GVT thus far? Yeah the deload came at the right time. Typical flu symptoms coming on now. Will just train through it though considering it's half volume.
I enjoy it. I can't handle full GVT for the sick feeling you described. Even felt it last night and a little today after leg day of GVT.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
My quad measurements since the deload has dropped back to baseline. Seems my quads remain full for a while after doing GVT workouts due to the crazy pumps and inflammation from severe doms. For the arduous effort put in I'd expect to see some reward in the form of size considering it is a hypertrophic routine. I've gained more on less demanding programs. From everything I've read on GVT this should be enough time to illicit a measureable growth response, however small. I will see where i stand in terms of gains during the deload phase and if I don't notice anything positive will probably can it.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My quad measurements since the deload has dropped back to baseline. Seems my quads remain full for a while after doing GVT workouts due to the crazy pumps and inflammation from severe doms. For the arduous effort put in I'd expect to see some reward in the form of size considering it is a hypertrophic routine. I've gained more on less demanding programs. From everything I've read on GVT this should be enough time to illicit a measureable growth response, however small. I will see where i stand in terms of gains during the deload phase and if I don't notice anything positive will probably can it.
That's the beauty of training routines. Everybody responds different. Also, look into your diet. I'm not doubting you about the size loss coming from stopping GVT, but there are other factors that could be contributing to that. We all have our go-to routines, you just gotta find what your legs respond to best!

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Yeah you make a good point it's no waste to experiment. I've read some people make size gains during the deload on GVT so will keep the quality foods coming in and decide in a weeks time.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Okay so I'm at the end of my GVT run. I've not gained any size on upper body despite having gradually worked up to 10x10 and 10x6. Endurance gains were certainly made but not accompanied by noticeable hypertrophy. I did increase my quad measurement by around 1/2"-3/4" in the end though so not a complete failure. I've been training consistently for years so gains are snail pace in general. I've since gone back to a lower volume protocol utilizing heavier weights. My 1 rm strength on the squat didn't suffer from GVT. The weights do feel much heavier and I was surprised that I could still move them. I do have a feeling that once my CNS is primed to heavier loads again I'll reveal some gains made.