Anyone else hate bad training days?

Mr Giggles

Awards
I am not sure about you guys, but bad training days really mess with my head! I am currently in competition prep training for two powerlifting meets this year (July and November) and having bad days on prep can really get to you.

It's like peaks and waves: you spend a number of days being on top of the world, training feels good, everything falls into place. The next, your body crashes and you ask yourself: wtf is happening this week.

Granted, I am going through a volume block at the moment, so my body is getting hammered with the volume so I shouldn't complain, but still, it can be a mental mind ****.

Anyone else on prep (bodybuilding r powerlifting, strongman) have this?

What are your measures and tactics to keep you mentally sane?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I have bad training days, and will correlate with the quality of my sleep, and daily stress levels.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
It can psychologically hit you. Just think though, even if you arent breaking records, your stimulating the muscle.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am not sure about you guys, but bad training days really mess with my head! I am currently in competition prep training for two powerlifting meets this year (July and November) and having bad days on prep can really get to you.

It's like peaks and waves: you spend a number of days being on top of the world, training feels good, everything falls into place. The next, your body crashes and you ask yourself: wtf is happening this week.

Granted, I am going through a volume block at the moment, so my body is getting hammered with the volume so I shouldn't complain, but still, it can be a mental mind ****.

Anyone else on prep (bodybuilding r powerlifting, strongman) have this?

What are your measures and tactics to keep you mentally sane?
I 100% understand this. Actually happened to me today. I just do what I can, try to get a good nights rest and reload for the next day! Train instinctively and listen to your body and at the same time push it when you can. I have also learned to cut it off on the good days at the right time so I don’t dig my self into a hole. I feel like you need to learn your limits to have better understanding of what works best and how your body will react! I also do not believe in training through bad days. If I feel taxed I would much rather just do some mobility work, cardio or just flat out leave before wasting a training session and it not being on par with where it should be... to me that is counterproductive

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've been training for 27 years and bad training days are just part of the deal. Generally, it allows me to look at why it may have been bad and make possible adjustments or maybe it is a sign for a deload or time off.

I wouldn't overthink it because if there is anything I can guarantee, it is that you will have more of them.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Everybody has a bad day, hell an injury really screws you up. The only real bad day in the gym is the one that doesn’t happen.