Anyone else experience summertime exhaustion

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
This happens to me every year and its a bummer. My training goes to shlt. My intensity is non existent for the most part. My all around strength takes a dive inside and out. As soon as the air turns hot and humid my chest feels like its sandbagged, I get sluggish, tired all the time and have no motivation to go lift or anything else active for the most part and hard work suffers as a result. I've tried breathing treatments (albuterol prescribed), different PWOs and other vitamin supps to try and boost natural energy and push through. Mental motivation only seems to go so far until my body just gasses out. I literally want to hibernate through the summer because in cool dry weather I can push as hard as I want.
Im curious to see if others experience this through the summer months and how they combat this.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
Same here man! Have you tried early morning workouts? The colder air seems to have helped me with that a bit, plus it helps keep your energy up throughout the day. Also, you getting enough sleep? I seem to have a harder time recovering in the heat if I don't get 8 full hours.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Same here man! Have you tried early morning workouts? The colder air seems to have helped me with that a bit, plus it helps keep your energy up throughout the day. Also, you getting enough sleep? I seem to have a harder time recovering in the heat if I don't get 8 full hours.
Early mornings would be ideal but I work nights bartending and take care of my 2 year old son during the day so getting up early AM to lift would deprive me of much needed sleep. It's a bummer because that would pretty much solve the issue right there. I normally lift in the evening and it works great in the cooler seasons but as bad as I wanna lift after a long hot/humid day my body just doesn't respond. As far as my sleep goes I've had alot of sleep issues in the past but they've as of lately been non existing. Once I fall asleep though I find it difficult to get up and if left alone can sleep for 12 hours easy

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
My biggest problem in this heat is that my appetite goes to sh*t. I don't have the urge to eat when it's really hot out and have to force myself to eat.
Me too! Every July I start losing weight(weight I don't wanna lose) and seems like every meal is chore- particularly hot meals.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
Me too! Every July I start losing weight(weight I don't wanna lose) and seems like every meal is chore- particularly hot meals.
thats how i get in summer. its like eating becomes a damn chore. during winter though, i cook so much and eat everything. i guess it kind of works out lol

and my current gym's manager is a sack of crap and doesnt turn the ac on. so by noon, its way too hot and stuffy

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
thats how i get in summer. its like eating becomes a damn chore. during winter though, i cook so much and eat everything. i guess it kind of works out lol

and my current gym's manager is a sack of crap and doesnt turn the ac on. so by noon, its way too hot and stuffy
Lol, looks like we are in th same boat! And here I thought I was special.... Lately one thing I've been doing that helps is eating a lot of cold foods- chilled rotisserie chicken and strip steak, blanched green beans and carrots with garlic, olive oil potato chips, kale salad, protein ice cream, quinoa salads etc. It helps but trying to eat 4-5000 calories a day when it's 90 plus out is tough no matter what I do.

pmdied

Awards
This thread really hit home today! I was suffering through my back workout and even though my commercial gym has air conditioning it was still hot and humid (I'm in northern Jersey) 90+ degree heat outside. I was dying halfway through and I didn't have much of an appetite afterwards. I find can drink my calories easier in the form of shakes and the like. While I'd rather eat regular food sometimes its easier to drink them when the heat becomes oppressive.

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
yea ive been drinking my calories lately. probly about 2-3 gallons of whole milk a week right now lol

i live in sacramento california. we just endured a week long heat wave of 107 degree days. not the same as vegas, but fuk, it sucked cok to leave the house lol

daft205

daft205

Awards
  • Established
yea ive been drinking my calories lately. probly about 2-3 gallons of whole milk a week right now lol

i live in sacramento california. we just endured a week long heat wave of 107 degree days. not the same as vegas, but fuk, it sucked cok to leave the house lol
Shoot we're literally in the same boat(well almost)- I'm in sonoma county. This last week has been brutal, not quite as bad as sac though. Least you have a lot of places to go swimming and what not out there.