Anyone do ancestry DNA testing?

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Genuinely curious on other peoples experiences. I’m considering trying a different one as well for comparison. I did a 23 and me test because my family doesn’t know anything lmao. It was a pretty interesting breakdown. Some of the DNA traits were pretty spot on as well.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I haven't gone down that road cause I feel weird sending my dna to a database, but I admit I do wear a tinfoil hat to sleep in.
Same but I was military so they already have my dna on file. They actually in all reality flprobaboy already have everyone’s dna on file somewhere

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
yeah when you're military things are definitely different in that regard !

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I haven't gone down that road cause I feel weird sending my dna to a database, but I admit I do wear a tinfoil hat to sleep in.
No tinfoil hat needed, in this case.
I wasn't ever really interested in pursuing this type of info, but I watched some of my friends excitedly giving away (Actually, PAYING to give away!) their personal DNA info to these companies.
I would ask, "hey, aren't you concerned where that info will end up"?
Their response was generally, "Nah! LOL!"

And then MILLIONS of people who PAID these companies to receive info that I'd Never give away, found out that one or more of these companies then actually Sold/Gave their DNA info to the government.

Keep wearing that hat.

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
scoooter

scoooter

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
No, not myself by means of using blood, however, I've had many "family tree's" built manually by my relatives using old school approach and researching which is good enough for me

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Candidly, although I know many people who I respect who have had the testing done, I do not see any value (TO/FOR ME) of knowing that information. I am very closely in tune with family medical predispositions, but if that was not the case I might feel differently. As to people who suddenly "feel different about life" because they have representation from certain origins/nationalities/races/backgrounds, that is something else I "don't get". I am who I am period. Most of that is about looking forward and trying to make and live intentionally integrity-based decisions and lifestyle, not looking back to where my predecessors may have come from.

That is just me, and I have no negative opinions of whether anyone else should/should not do it (my wife had the testing done).