Anybody take Gabapentin

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hello I was prescribed some of these for my pain in my back. Anyone else use them and at what dosage

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah I had an ortho that gave it to me for the same thing. I don't recall it making much of a difference at all, though.

Pl4typu5

Pl4typu5

Awards
  • First Up Vote
One of the most addictive medications I ever took, they are suppose to be less addictive than opioids yet for me personally I had one hell of a hard time letting them go. They made me feel to good, when I came off them I struggled at work for a long time, I found it hard to deal with any Pressure in The job without them. Not trying to scare you man, just my experience.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
One of the most addictive medications I ever took, they are suppose to be less addictive than opioids yet for me personally I had one hell of a hard time letting them go. They made me feel to good, when I came off them I struggled at work for a long time, I found it hard to deal with any Pressure in The job without them. Not trying to scare you man, just my experience.

I heard someone else say something similar.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
originally i was prescribed requip for what the sleep clinic doc descibed as worst case of restless legs he had ever seen...requip caused me a lot of issues top of list being insomnia.

replaced requip with 300mg gabapentin, not sure if it helps with the RLS but it helps me get to sleep quicker---i've been on 300mg for several years and if i miss a night it isn't a big deal---definately don't feel like there is any addiction going on.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Super addictive, work like shi&t, lots of side effects. They trash your metabolism. I put on ten pounds in three weeks and I did not raise my calories. Dropped this Med. Evil garbage.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hello I was prescribed some of these for my pain in my back. Anyone else use them and at what dosage
Yep been on them ever since my benzo withdrawal seizure. Fixes so many issues, got me off benzos firstly and then fixed sleep, pain sensitivity, etc. I don't need it much now, but I for sure keep 300mg tabs and take 1-2 before bed if needed.

Interesting it binds to, but does not alter the receptors and actually excrete unchanged. Neat stuff.

Surprised if you have back pain it's not flexiril + nsaid? For the script? But gabapentin helps with pain, withdrawal... Take 300+mg +200mg caffeine tabs to stay awake until you get used to it.

Take 600mg at night for a relax nap.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yep been on them ever since my benzo withdrawal seizure. Fixes so many issues, got me off benzos firstly and then fixed sleep, pain sensitivity, etc. I don't need it much now, but I for sure keep 300mg tabs and take 1-2 before bed if needed.

Interesting it binds to, but does not alter the receptors and actually excrete unchanged. Neat stuff.

Surprised if you have back pain it's not flexiril + nsaid? For the script? But gabapentin helps with pain, withdrawal... Take 300+mg +200mg caffeine tabs to stay awake until you get used to it.

Was on flerill but changed to gaba so far so good

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was given this and had a bad reaction. My new doctor gave me MMJ and works so much better.

PoSiTiVeFLoW

PoSiTiVeFLoW

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What is MMJ
Medical marijuana.. a good indica (THC) pax pod oil is pretty healthy and you'll sleep great and be hungry.

Although CBD won't get you high, yet is a powerful natural nsaid and instead of vape they also have tincture and edibles.

Last edited:
rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Been dealing with pain from cervical disc degeneration for years... right trap area and cervical radiculopathy down my right arm. The McKenzie exercises have helped tremendously, but I'm still at a constant 4-5 pain level. Tried gabapentin at one point, and didn't notice anything but all-day drowsiness. Not much relief for me. Nor do I find much real help from CBD and THC in any kind of combination, vaped or edible, and I absolutely refuse to take opiates and/or NSAIDs.

My last non-surgical resort is PEA (palmitoylethanolamide, *not* phenylethylamine) at 1200mg daily. Apparently it can take up to 6 weeks to work for nerve pain. Bottle should be here on Monday.

Oldnbusted

Awards
I had a doc who prescribed it. For a spine Injury /nerve damage. The side affects were beyond awful. It messed with my eyes and head in a big way. He kept pushing me to take higher doses. I saw zero relief from pain. I finally quit cold turkey. It was not a fun experience. I ended up in the ER. But glad I quit it. I know a few people who swear by it and have very minimal sides. Literally claim it was a game changer for them. But ya couldn't pay me to take it again.

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks for everyone's input ii got alot ofthe basics

Pl4typu5

Pl4typu5

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I had a doc who prescribed it. For a spine Injury /nerve damage. The side affects were beyond awful. It messed with my eyes and head in a big way. He kept pushing me to take higher doses. I saw zero relief from pain. I finally quit cold turkey. It was not a fun experience. I ended up in the ER. But glad I quit it. I know a few people who swear by it and have very minimal sides. Literally claim it was a game changer for them. But ya couldn't pay me to take it again.
I forgot about the eye issues, that was a big issue for me too.

@mixedup if you do decide to take it just watch out for sides and decide from there as you can see very mixed thoughts on the drug, some people tolerate it some not but everyone’s different (to a point). I can’t take more that 5mg of DHEA/Preg without getting sides yet some people use 10 times that and are ok.

Oldnbusted

Awards

@mixedup if you do decide to take it just watch out for sides and decide from there as you can see very mixed thoughts on the drug, some people tolerate it some not but everyone’s different (to a point). I can’t take more that 5mg of DHEA/Preg without getting sides yet some people use 10 times that and are ok.
I forgot. Graylease or however it's spelled is supposed to be the newest version Gaba. I had a PA give me a big sample pack. She swore one it didn't need to build up in the body to work like Gaba and could be started/stopped. Ie take it for a week for relief and than stop. Allegedly it worked quicker for relief. I think it was a slow micro dosed release med off top of my head. I hated that crap so much I could never bring myself to t it. (I will never figure being rushed to the ER and my head felling like it was going to explode when I quit cold turkey, I couldn't even stand)Before my spine surgery, surgeon gave
Me lyriica calming it would reduce risk of the nerve pain issues. It didn't do chit... I tired lyrica with one of docs I had to. It didn't do anything afterwards either. But I know people who use it and swear they need it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

reminds me of my teens. rorer 714's were popular back in the 70's, i could take 4 and be able to function while most of my friends were dazed and confused on 2. but i would fly like a kite on small doses of amphetamines?

i seem to do pretty well on 300mg gaba as a nightime dose, really haven't saw any sides at all. and been taking for several years for RLS.

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Talk to your pharmacist. They are drug experts and IT IS FREE! Take advantage before pharmacy consults start costing us 50 dollar copays too.

Gabapentin is all over the map in terms of dosage, effectiveness, and sides. Some are confused and sluggish on 200mg. Some have no sides at 800mg 4x/day. I've never seen anyone addicted quickly while trialing dosages with their doctor. Tha comes w long term use/abuse.

I also think it's a poor choice for neck/back pain and radiculopathy (pinched nerve). It is better for peripheral neuropathy and restless leg disorders in my small experience. The pharmacist has seen and heard it all. Talk to him/her.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's seldomly used as a replacement for benzos. It's less addictive then benzos and has a much lesser withdrawal sindrome. I use it for as an anxiety relief. My doc prescribed ot for sleep but imo it doesn't do much for sleep, i find it a bit of an upper. Benzos are more sedating than gabapentin.

Dosages for me are 300 or 600. Tolerance builds up crazy quick though. So for anxiety 300mg might be enough the first two or three days, but then it quickly loses it's effect.

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You ended up on er b/c of a panic attack?
What eye problems did you experience?

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I see alot of people take this for different reasons but does anybody take for nerve pain?

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My therapist prescribed these along with other meds for anxiety, stress, and sleep. It took me over a month to kick this crap, I felt like a drug addict, chasing the first initial high.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My therapist prescribed these along with other meds for anxiety, stress, and sleep. It took me over a month to kick this crap, I felt like a drug addict, chasing the first initial high.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
gabapentin got you high?

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
gabapentin got you high?
If you take a big enough dose it does have an euphoric effect. But if your anxiety is high and you start taking gabapentin, the reduction of anxiety that you feel, could be a bit of a high in it self I guess ...But otherwise, people take this in seriously high dosages, 3000mg, 5000mg, 7000mg, ...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you take a big enough dose it does have an euphoric effect. But if your anxiety is high and you start taking gabapentin, the reduction of anxiety that you feel, could be a bit of a high in it self I guess ...But otherwise, people take this in seriously high dosages, 3000mg, 5000mg, 7000mg, ...
damn!!!

it must be one hell of a high, to dose that big!!!

Oldnbusted

Awards
You ended up on er b/c of a panic attack?
What eye problems did you experience?
It blurred my vision. I couldn't make chit out at distance. I had to focus more to make things out. My peripheral went to chit too. I think it was from the blurred aspect of things. Felt like there was some pressure in my eyes too. I was not on a big dose either. I felt like absolute **** on it too. The ahole doctor, I had at time called it a baby dose. I was like yeah well if it's doing this at a baby dose, I do not want to see what it will do at anything higher. Told him I was quitting and he was like don't, you can't just quit it. (Off top of my head I had been trying it for at least a few months) So I said watch me. I was taking it for nerve damage and pain. That was the only reason with me for trying it. I was desperate for relief form all the pain. Everyone I know that has or had taken it, it was all neurological issues.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
gabapentin got you high?
It was probably a mixture of gaba, plus sleeping pills, and one more pill. I was soooooo messed up the first night; like I was high and drugged up. Then I kept chasing that high every day afterwards cuz it made me sleep for 10-16 hours a day. The worst part was that it kept me drowsy all day, and I was operating heavy machineries back then. Every time I think about it, it scares me.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It was probably a mixture of gaba, plus sleeping pills, and one more pill. I was soooooo messed up the first night; like I was high and drugged up. Then I kept chasing that high every day afterwards cuz it made me sleep for 10-16 hours a day. The worst part was that it kept me drowsy all day, and I was operating heavy machineries back then. Every time I think about it, it scares me.
we are blessed...sometimes i look back at some of the stupid shyt i've done and wonder how am i still alive---and then i think about ozzie, lol.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It blurred my vision. I couldn't make chit out at distance. I had to focus more to make things out. My peripheral went to chit too. I think it was from the blurred aspect of things. Felt like there was some pressure in my eyes too. I was not on a big dose either. I felt like absolute **** on it too. The ahole doctor, I had at time called it a baby dose. I was like yeah well if it's doing this at a baby dose, I do not want to see what it will do at anything higher. Told him I was quitting and he was like don't, you can't just quit it. (Off top of my head I had been trying it for at least a few months) So I said watch me. I was taking it for nerve damage and pain. That was the only reason with me for trying it. I was desperate for relief form all the pain. Everyone I know that has or had taken it, it was all neurological issues.
brother, i hope you found a different doctor? that is some bullshyt for him to tell you that!!!

Jinsun

Jinsun

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Damn, sounds bad. Is that a common side effect? But what was the exploding head part/ER all about?

Oldnbusted

Awards
brother, i hope you found a different doctor? that is some bullshyt for him to tell you that!!!
It was a messed up situation because my health care wouldn't cover anything related to my injury since they called it duty related. So I was in a rock and a hard place. I was stuck with whoever would take me and wait to get paid. All just legal garbage. That doc was pushing methadone for the pain too. That **** absolutely sucks azz. Works great at first but just felt like chit as time went on with it. Fetnyal was same way. Awesome at first and blah later (I didn't realize initially it killed my t levels so some of that feeling may have been that too but not all). I quit that cold turkey too. He used to make we wait hours and sometimes till close (I always tired to be the first patient so I could get in and out too) when he has threats against him. Because he knew I was crazy and my
busted up self would act if someone walked in with a weapon. He ended up having a former Iraqi Terp start working for him. If he was working he'd pull me into an office and was like it's going to be long day. Just chill in here at least the chair is comfortable. Plus he'd play with the kids or give one of them his phone so they could play games when I had to bring my kids with. He was the best part about that practice. He would be the doc is scared shitless today It's going to be along one sorry. He would joke he I and I were the docs security detail if we wanted to be or not. I was so tired of leaving worse than I came in . It was a really awful time in my life. He did a surgery that he shouldn't have been done the way the way he did it. Ie he wasn't qualified to do it the correct way but he did not want to loose out on that pay day. Told me there was no other way. An outright lie.

I ended up laying into him after a 5 hour wait ok a day I was in a chit load of pain and having learned he F'd up that surgery when I really had other options. I told him to **** off and he was fired!!!! He chased after me with the methadone script saying I was going to need it. I was flying the bird in the middle of the lobby at him and saying no I won't mother F'er your fire stick it up your azz!!!!! I'm quitting that crap too. People were laughing and clapping. I called his waiting room the waiting room of misery. They called for a few months trying to set up an appointment And offer refills. I was like I'm done. (O care kicked into law right about about that time so my health care provider had to start covering things) I had 2 more bad docs after him. Than I landed with a really amazing doc. Had him until he retired. My current doc is the best doc I have ever had. Both those two got me some semblance of my life back. I still love with pain and some mobility issues on bad days. Limping, can't bend over at all etc. But it beats every single day being a 10/10 on the pain scale and weeks at a crack without much sleep.
I take one pain med now. it works and long term it doesn't cause that blah feeling after a few years like the other stuff did. I get Radio Frequency Ablation every 6 months religiously. Plus PRP treatment as needed. I just wish there weren't so many hack doctors out there. That was 6 plus years of my life on a helllish roller coaster.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It was a messed up situation because my health care wouldn't cover anything related to my injury since they called it duty related. So I was in a rock and a hard place. I was stuck with whoever would take me and wait to get paid. All just legal garbage. That doc was pushing methadone for the pain too. That **** absolutely sucks azz. Works great at first but just felt like chit as time went on with it. Fetnyal was same way. Awesome at first and blah later (I didn't realize initially it killed my t levels so some of that feeling may have been that too but not all). I quit that cold turkey too. He used to make we wait hours and sometimes till close (I always tired to be the first patient so I could get in and out too) when he has threats against him. Because he knew I was crazy and my
busted up self would act if someone walked in with a weapon. He ended up having a former Iraqi Terp start working for him. If he was working he'd pull me into an office and was like it's going to be long day. Just chill in here at least the chair is comfortable. Plus he'd play with the kids or give one of them his phone so they could play games when I had to bring my kids with. He was the best part about that practice. He would be the doc is scared shitless today It's going to be along one sorry. He would joke he I and I were the docs security detail if we wanted to be or not. I was so tired of leaving worse than I came in . It was a really awful time in my life. He did a surgery that he shouldn't have been done the way the way he did it. Ie he wasn't qualified to do it the correct way but he did not want to loose out on that pay day. Told me there was no other way. An outright lie.

I ended up laying into him after a 5 hour wait ok a day I was in a chit load of pain and having learned he F'd up that surgery when I really had other options. I told him to **** off and he was fired!!!! He chased after me with the methadone script saying I was going to need it. I was flying the bird in the middle of the lobby at him and saying no I won't mother F'er your fire stick it up your azz!!!!! I'm quitting that crap too. People were laughing and clapping. I called his waiting room the waiting room of misery. They called for a few months trying to set up an appointment And offer refills. I was like I'm done. (O care kicked into law right about about that time so my health care provider had to start covering things) I had 2 more bad docs after him. Than I landed with a really amazing doc. Had him until he retired. My current doc is the best doc I have ever had. Both those two got me some semblance of my life back. I still love with pain and some mobility issues on bad days. Limping, can't bend over at all etc. But it beats every single day being a 10/10 on the pain scale and weeks at a crack without much sleep.
I take one pain med now. it works and long term it doesn't cause that blah feeling after a few years like the other stuff did. I get Radio Frequency Ablation every 6 months religiously. Plus PRP treatment as needed. I just wish there weren't so many hack doctors out there. That was 6 plus years of my life on a helllish roller coaster.
man, reading this i don't know if i am more sad or just pissed at what you went thru....at least you have a competent doctor now

GOD BLESS!!!

Oldnbusted

Awards
man, reading this i don't know if i am more sad or just pissed at what you went thru....at least you have a competent doctor now

GOD BLESS!!!
Thanks.
I used to feel sorry for myself. An ol timer who taught me how to really catch the fish on open water and ice fishing. He was dying of cancer. It was a beautiful day and still ice on his lake. He called me up and said he felt up to getting out one last time on the ice. While we were sitting there on his lake, he looked over at me. He said don't think I wouldn't trade places with you in second. It hit me like a sledge hammer. There is always people worse off. I was dedicated to my career and family second. This forced family first. So yeah it sucks, the last really sucked but I see the positive in it.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Thanks.
I used to feel sorry for myself. An ol timer who taught me how to really catch the fish on open water and ice fishing. He was dying of cancer. It was a beautiful day and still ice on his lake. He called me up and said he felt up to getting out one last time on the ice. While we were sitting there on his lake, he looked over at me. He said don't think I wouldn't trade places with you in second. It hit me like a sledge hammer. There is always people worse off. I was dedicated to my career and family second. This forced family first. So yeah it sucks, the last really sucked but I see the positive in it.
i had a guy like that in my life also...i was a horrible alcoholic/drug addict when i went to VA in patient rehab for 6 months..my counselor was a old black guy named willie, after i got out of rehab he became my AA sponsor-that man saved my life!!!

willie passed a few years back, his family honored me by letting me be a pallbearer!!! i try and pass it on, but i will never be half the man that willie was...RIP Willie!!!

respect---FAMILY 1st is my code!!!

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Was given 500mg (I think. Or 250mg)
Worked for nerve pain after about a week or two. By the third week my memory loss and confusion, felt like early Alzheimer’s. Got off.
now I use 5-10mg cannabis on bad nights, twice a week average. And an indica vape pen most nights, just a hit about 3 beers worth.
while it doesn’t help with the day pain I sleep well. I won’t do opioids so loosing weight, swimming, Pilates and lifting within my limits has helped. I have a broken l5 and bad nerve pain.

Oldnbusted

Awards
i had a guy like that in my life also...i was a horrible alcoholic/drug addict when i went to VA in patient rehab for 6 months..my counselor was a old black guy named willie, after i got out of rehab he became my AA sponsor-that man saved my life!!!

willie passed a few years back, his family honored me by letting me be a pallbearer!!! i try and pass it on, but i will never be half the man that willie was...RIP Willie!!!

respect---FAMILY 1st is my code!!!
Sorry for your loss. That was nice of his family. I'm grateful for people like that who come into our life's and others. I always say honor their life's with our own actions. Keep their memory alive by telling those stories.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sorry for your loss. That was nice of his family. I'm grateful for people like that who come into our life's and others. I always say honor their life's with our own actions. Keep their memory alive by telling those stories.
well said!!!

Jpflex

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I loveeee gabbas....I take 27 300mg at one time. I get a great high and feel great. But I only do that for a few days then I stop for my next refill which is like every fifteen days. I can’t wait to get my refills it helps my depression big time. Reminds me of opiates. I don’t suggest taking what I take I built such a tolerance that I need that much now to feel it. I have some side effects. I get emotional attimes which I like. I also get pressure in my eyes and head. Really it doesn’t bother me. Like I said I can go for gabbas anytime. I’m addicted to them. Oh well

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Alot of people take gaba with seroquel to get high

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I loveeee gabbas....I take 27 300mg at one time. I get a great high and feel great. But I only do that for a few days then I stop for my next refill which is like every fifteen days. I can’t wait to get my refills it helps my depression big time. Reminds me of opiates. I don’t suggest taking what I take I built such a tolerance that I need that much now to feel it. I have some side effects. I get emotional attimes which I like. I also get pressure in my eyes and head. Really it doesn’t bother me. Like I said I can go for gabbas anytime. I’m addicted to them. Oh well
Damn 27 at one time I think I would gag and throwup

Srr1000

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Damn. I haven’t had any issues so far, I’ve been taking it at 600mg 3x a day for the last 2 weeks. Not for pain. Ive read lower back and back pain can be a side actually (Not common). Hopefully I don’t experience any of hell described by some here. Maybe it’s worth A shot for you. See how it works.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
https://integrativewellnessgroup.com/death-sentence-brain/

something you guys and anyone else who’s on gabapentin should keep in mind.

I’ve had chronic insomnia for about 6 years now, during which time I’ve tried about a dozen sleeping meds and read extensively, and the unfortunate fact is that the vast, vast majority of pharmaceutical sleeping meds have at least some pretty gnarly side-effects. Without a prescription that works I spend 72+ hours unable to get any sleep on the regular, even when I haven’t taken any stims whatsoever, and I don’t consider gabapentin an option for me

two things I’d recommend you try to see if they can replace gabapentin are

- phenergan (promethazine)
I’m currently on this. It’s a very drowsy anti-histamine that’s non-addictive, doesn’t induce dependency and doesn’t have any particularly bad side-effects. If i take 10-25mg before bed i wake up pretty fresh. I’m a lil groggy for an hour or two but feel good after that. Doesn’t have any long-term side-effects.

- ramelteon (rozerem)
something I’ve been trying to get that mimics melatonin. It’s non-addictive, doesn’t induce dependency and has far fewer and less severe side-effects than every other sleeping Med other than promethazine.
My insomnia seems to be a particularly bad case and so I take two prescriptions for it which are reliable but I want to find a replacement for one of them because of its side-effects (quetiapine) and ramelteon is by far the best candidate.

also neither of them leave you with withdrawal symptoms

originally i was prescribed requip for what the sleep clinic doc descibed as worst case of restless legs he had ever seen...requip caused me a lot of issues top of list being insomnia.

replaced requip with 300mg gabapentin, not sure if it helps with the RLS but it helps me get to sleep quicker---i've been on 300mg for several years and if i miss a night it isn't a big deal---definately don't feel like there is any addiction going on.

Was on flerill but changed to gaba so far so good