Anybody find it hard to eat as soon you wake?

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
This has always been a problem for me ecspecially when on a strict lifting diet so im curious if anybody has the same issue and any tips or tricks theyve used to get over it. usually it takes me up to 2 hours after waking up to get an appetite where I don't have to choke down my food and that's what I have to do anyhow in order to stay on a full eating schedule for the day and fit it in through daily routine.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I simply have no time to eat before I train at 4:00AM

Fasted training with a BCAA pre/intra.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Do you find it effects your strength any?

VS91588

VS91588

Awards
If u fast train ita not gonna affect ur strength if u provide propped nutrition throughout ur day. May be the 1st week will be hard but the human body adapts to changes

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Out of necessity I have always trained fasted. I train bodybuilder style with various periodization strategies. For me strength is not really effected by any pre workout nutrition but rather by daily caloric intake. I adjust my daily caloric intake according to my goals.

In regard to BCAA's, I simply use them because they are predigested and quickly assimilated and available to support protein synthesis and a positive nitrogen balance going into my training. I cannot say I would attribute them directly to an increased strength but I cannot say that it doesn't either, as I have always used them in this fashion.

ponysteak

ponysteak

Awards
I had to start doing the same thing as David due to time. I do 5g bcaas upon waking and go to the gym. However, when I get home I'm ready to eat he entire kitchen haha. Strength is unaffected.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Why not slam a P-shake? Make it with a reduced amount of liquid if you dont want any "food volume". Throw in some fat/oils if you need calories. I used to make coffee flavored p-shakes back in the day and would sip on it while reading the paper.

This has always been a problem for me ecspecially when on a strict lifting diet so im curious if anybody has the same issue and any tips or tricks theyve used to get over it. usually it takes me up to 2 hours after waking up to get an appetite where I don't have to choke down my food and that's what I have to do anyhow in order to stay on a full eating schedule for the day and fit it in through daily routine.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Definitely something to consider. As I get older I find training later in the day is becoming a drag. Now If I can drag my ass outa bed a couple hours earlier and get motivated ;-) What pre/intra do you recommend? Something with no stims or at least minimum caffeine would be great. Recent heart issue was a bit alarming so I'm tryin to be careful.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ooooo I began working out 1st thing AM years ago for the same reason or forget it! ;)

Takes a few weeks to get used to it. It did for me. Now I've been doing it for years. It's also nice to not have to deal with the punk kids.

I'm not the person to ask about pre-w/o drinks as I havent been impressed by any of them or they have all sorts of artifical fillers I dont want. These days, 200 mg caffeine, BCAA's and ALCAR do the trick just fine for me.

Like you, I despise breakfast. I train "fasted" anyway so I make a jug of BCAAS (adding creatine as needed) and slam 1/3rd ASAP, take to gym and sip throughout workout. when Im finished training, I slam a p-shake.

I dont eat my first FOOD meal until 10am (I wake up at 6).

Definitely something to consider. As I get older I find training later in the day is becoming a drag. Now If I can drag my ass outa bed a couple hours earlier and get motivated ;-) What pre/intra do you recommend? Something with no stims or at least minimum caffeine would be great. Recent heart issue was a bit alarming so I'm tryin to be careful.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I typically don't eat for 2-3 hours after I wake up in the morning. The same applies to post-WO; I'll drink some WPI and eat some fruit; but an actual meal takes awhile since I'm usually both gassed and nauseous.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Ooooo I began working out 1st thing AM years ago for the same reason or forget it! ;)

Takes a few weeks to get used to it. It did for me. Now I've been doing it for years. It's also nice to not have to deal with the punk kids.

I'm not the person to ask about pre-w/o drinks as I havent been impressed by any of them or they have all sorts of artifical fillers I dont want. These days, 200 mg caffeine, BCAA's and ALCAR do the trick just fine for me.
I quit trying PWOs awhile back cus they made me feel like crap. Lately I've been doing BCAAs, creatine and then a black coffee on the way to the gym (before my heart attack). I like that alot better but I'm a bit concerned about the caffeine now since its a vasoconstrictor. I'm not familiar with ALCAR.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I typically don't eat for 2-3 hours after I wake up in the morning. The same applies to post-WO; I'll drink some WPI and eat some fruit; but an actual meal takes awhile since I'm usually both gassed and nauseous.
You are almost nauseous after every work out?

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'd ask your doc what his thought are on any amounts of caffeine and how this might affect you. Not something to play around with.

ALCAR: Acetyl-L-Carnitine. See the 3 links below (NON-stim energy supps). It may provide some solid sensible options for you.

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/181985-stim-free-energy.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/101474-non-stim-energy.html

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/83635-non-stim-energy.html

Now Brand makes a supplement called Energy. It has a laundry list of non-stimulating "energy" vitamins/minerals and only has 50 mg of caffeine but it has all sorts of adrenal gland ingredients and the typical herbal adaptogens and pick-me-ups (rhodiloa,etc). I've used it to get off my stim-addiction. it packs a very mild punch but for a stim junkie to say that, Im sure it's golden to those who have not abused. It might be a very healthy alternative option for you.

I quit trying PWOs awhile back cus they made me feel like crap. Lately I've been doing BCAAs, creatine and then a black coffee on the way to the gym (before my heart attack). I like that alot better but I'm a bit concerned about the caffeine now since its a vasoconstrictor. I'm not familiar with ALCAR.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you notice a leaning effect from not doing the typical slamming of calories logic employed by most? I sure do.

lonewolf0420

lonewolf0420

Awards
  • Established
True dat.

A whey shake about a half hour after I wake is typically the only thing my stomach gets for a little while.

superchris

superchris

Awards
Not much of a desire to eat nor cook breakfast first thing in the morning so I do a nice protein shake with 60 grams of protein and around 700 calories. Once I get to work, I eat scrambled eggs and some yogurt and maybe some sausage (usually around 2 hours after waking up). Seems to work nicely for me.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
If I had time to eat in the morning, I'd have a 6 egg omelet every damn day. I could eat 24/7. It really is a miracle I'm not 500 lbs.

I train fasted as well. 5:30 AM. I'll do a protein shake around 7:30 then Greek Yogurt w/fruit around 9:00.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do you notice a leaning effect from not doing the typical slamming of calories logic employed by most? I sure do.
It helps. I pretty much only eat when I am hungry and that can vary from 3-7 meals/day (depending on the training day, food selection, etc.).

Matkl

Awards
Instant oats cures this for me, 3 scoops (150 grams) is the equivalent of 5 or 6 bowls of oats to get the carbs in and couple of scoops of protein to get the protein in and focus on eating the protein later on, M.

mik14

mik14

Awards
Why not slam a P-shake? Make it with a reduced amount of liquid if you dont want any "food volume". Throw in some fat/oils if you need calories. I used to make coffee flavored p-shakes back in the day and would sip on it while reading the paper.
I agree, I usually make a protein shake with oats in it to give me some fuel, then i make a double shot coffee with no sugar, works well for me!

mik14

mik14

Awards
I agree, I usually make a protein shake with oats in it to give me some fuel, then i make a double shot coffee with no sugar, works well for me!

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sadly, I'm still stuck in the drinking the kool aid mantra of 6 small meals a day.

I'm trying to forgo this mentality as I realize it's flawed (claims about ramped up metabolism etc); but this style of eating is so engraved in me I'm hungry every 3 hours. This is NOT due to insulin/sugar flux as Im a low carber. Then when I eat more protein or more fat, I get bloated and tired (yes, even with healthy fats) and lazy. for whatever reason, this eating style works for me despite the science negating its value/benefits. Oh well. if it aint broken....

Two things I've successfully done away with over the years that has served me very well with zero discernable detriment to my physique or strength :
1) Carbs/Food prior to training
2) Carb-ups post training

It helps. I pretty much only eat when I am hungry and that can vary from 3-7 meals/day (depending on the training day, food selection, etc.).

Newtonselite

Newtonselite

Awards
  • Established
I'm another that finds it hard to eat upon waking which is 6am for me. So as others have mentioned a quick protein shake and a banana. Then about 2 hours later it's my normal steak and brown rice, and the meals continue until macros are hit.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Sadly, I'm still stuck in the drinking the kool aid mantra of 6 small meals a day.

I'm trying to forgo this mentality as I realize it's flawed (claims about ramped up metabolism etc); but this style of eating is so engraved in me I'm hungry every 3 hours. This is NOT due to insulin/sugar flux as Im a low carber. Then when I eat more protein or more fat, I get bloated and tired (yes, even with healthy fats) and lazy. for whatever reason, this eating style works for me despite the science negating its value/benefits. Oh well. if it aint broken....

Two things I've successfully done away with over the years that has served me very well with zero discernable detriment to my physique or strength :
1) Carbs/Food prior to training
2) Carb-ups post training
I get tired and lazy with the constant eating every 3 hours. I feel lighter on my feet and I'm a lot less bloated when I eat only when I start to feel hungry or do lighter snacks between meals. Even just a shake between meals gets me all bloated feeling. It could be time to switch up protein brands and try something new but this practice keeps me in the 230-235 lb range and I lift heavier with ease opposed to when I eat less and drop 10 lbs or so , I lift less but I look better less bloated and my clothes fit nicer. I just don't get the "your got huge" comments from people as much. Gotta say my ego likes that ;-)

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I get tired and lazy with the constant eating every 3 hours. I feel lighter on my feet and I'm a lot less bloated when I eat only when I start to feel hungry or do lighter snacks between meals. Even just a shake between meals gets me all bloated feeling. It could be time to switch up protein brands and try something new but this practice keeps me in the 230-235 lb range and I lift heavier with ease opposed to when I eat less and drop 10 lbs or so , I lift less but I look better less bloated and my clothes fit nicer. I just don't get the "your got huge" comments from people as much. Gotta say my ego likes that ;-)
Screenshot this post and print and post it where ever you need it to remind yourself. Pay attention brother. Quit being a slave to this 'thing' and live a life. I recall someone recently had a wake-up call. "Mike - call holding on line one!"

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Screenshot this post and print and post it where ever you need it to remind yourself. Pay attention brother. Quit being a slave to this 'thing' and live a life. I recall someone recently had a wake-up call. "Mike - call holding on line one!"
Very true, thanks for pointing that out. Sometimes its hard to break a routine and change it up for fear of losing what youve worked so hard (and paid) for. To much pushing a strict eating/lifting regimen and not enough listening to what my body really wants/needs in order to reach my goals. Definitely a call to rework things and hit the fitness routine from a different angle. I've already started weeding out and changing the things that bring on stress in my life that lead to my heart attack, and this "thing" as you say, is something else that needs that attention. Back to the drawing board!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You are not alone. I have to keep this 'thing' in check as it can take the life out of living if I let it. Be well.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
You are not alone. I have to keep this 'thing' in check as it can take the life out of living if I let it. Be well.
Very much so a balance of doing too much or too little and adjusting it all with age as it seems. Be well as well ;-)

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't find it harder, but I guess as you pointed out I'm younger so that probably has some effect. Habits would, too, I imagine, as I grew up eating breakfast and so have continued this tradition. I wonder if maybe you eat so late at night that it has an effect on your morning appetite? Except for workout days, the last meal I eat is usually around 7-8pm, so when I'm ready to eat at 7am I'm feeling very hungry.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
No my meal at night is 8-9pm at latest. No carbs past 6 and all that. I've just never had a morning appetite. Did the shake first thing this morning rather then my usual bran cereal,greek yogurt, orange juice and it was a bit easier to get down.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hha no doubt! and some skittles! LOL

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LOLOL :D

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
I do not have difficulty eating as soon as I wake, but it is very important to get nutrients to your body once you wake up.
If you can't eat some good foods right away I suggest: Multi-vitamin + Protein shake. Then after a hour or two when you wake up more make a descent breakfast!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Not to be argumentative with you but please provide evidence to support "it is very important to get nutrients to your body once you wake up."

If throughout my waking hours I eat a well balanced, nutritious diet, sufficient in proper proportions of macros and calories based on activity levels and or goals; what exactly is the problem without eating immediately upon waking? What are the harmful effects of rising and not consuming food immediately? I'm asking you to provide empirical/statistical/scientific evidence to support this and leave anecdotal brotelligence and myth based response out of your reply.

kBrown

kBrown

Awards
  • Established
No problem bro,
There are many scientific studies that outline why breakfast is important, I will provide a short list. There are many many more references out there.
As far as bodybuilding goes, I would hate to resort to a bodybuilding website but it is convenient and comes with respectable references.
bodybuilding.com/fun/satter26.htm

bodybuilding.com/fun/sclark46.htm

webmd.com/diet/guide/most-important-meal

edis.ifas.ufl.edu/he550

ecvhornets-hc.co.uk/documents/nutrition/breakfast_nutrition.pdf

eis2win.co.uk/pages/news_top10nutritionalmistakesmadebyathletes.aspx

Also, if we look at the body. During sleep it goes in a nutrient deprived state for a number of hours (the nutrients we consume throughout the day only last so long, which is why it is important to eat numerous meals). When we go to sleep we go an average of 8 hours without food consumption. Muscles require many nutrients, so it is important to "feed" them upon waking. We want to keep the body in an calorie surplus and rich in nutrients (not Doritos and Oreos). << My bro-science. However the studies speak for themselves, breakfast is important :)

Feel free to google: " Importance of nutrient rich breakfast "
Or search PubMed for articles

A breakfast, in my opinion and in the opinion of academic literature is a very important aspect of maintaining a healthy body--which in turn is necessary for bodybuilding and other forms of athleticism.

I hope this solves the matter, I dislike prolonged arguments over points of no major concern. If someone doesn't feel breakfast is important so be it. I was under the assumption that the gentlemen who started this thread wanted a solution to not being able to eat a good breakfast.

Also immediately may be strong feel free to shower and change etc but i do not recommend going hours without eating. If you rise at eight but don't have an appetitie until eleven I recommend getting some nutrients to your starving body before then...you don't fast for eight hours during the day....why encourage it at night

No big deal :)
Not to be argumentative with you but please provide evidence to support "it is very important to get nutrients to your body once you wake up."

If throughout my waking hours I eat a well balanced, nutritious diet, sufficient in proper proportions of macros and calories based on activity levels and or goals; what exactly is the problem without eating immediately upon waking? What are the harmful effects of rising and not consuming food immediately? I'm asking you to provide empirical/statistical/scientific evidence to support this and leave anecdotal brotelligence and myth based response out of your reply.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I hope this solves the matter, I dislike prolonged arguments over points of no major concern. If someone doesn't feel breakfast is important so be it. I was under the assumption that the gentlemen who started this thread wanted a solution to not being able to eat a good breakfast.

Also immediately may be strong feel free to shower and change etc but i do not recommend going hours without eating. If you rise at eight but don't have an appetitie until eleven I recommend getting some nutrients to your starving body before then...you don't fast for eight hours during the day....why encourage it at night

No big deal :)
There is no argument. Simply a discussion. There is of course plenty of empirical and anecdotal evidence to support that breakfast is the most important meal of your day. My point was that you will not experience detrimental effects if you do not consume breakfast immediately upon waking or for that matter even a couple hours after waking. As much as nutrition is important we do not "starve" if we don't eat for a couple hours longer unless we are already insufficiently feeding our bodies.

Thanks.

MuscleGauge1

MuscleGauge1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Maybe switch your workout to lifitng in the morning. This will help develop a hunger for a meal, even if it happens to be breakfast.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Maybe switch your workout to lifitng in the morning. This will help develop a hunger for a meal, even if it happens to be breakfast.
Yeah I'm working on it and by working on it I mean I had my wife wake me at 7am this morning to go hit the gym before she heads off at 930 to work. Unfortunately my sleeping pattern blows as always so I didn't crash until after 1-2am somewhere so come wake up call a couple pillows got tossed at her, she tried saying I'd get fat if I didn't go and some other "motivational" comments. By that time my head was between 2 pillows and wrapped with the comforter and back to la la land. Lol. Better luck tommorow! Haha

marcom10

Awards
Happens to me...I usually just have a protein shake or banana for early morning workouts and then after my workout my appetite is there..

TurningGreen

TurningGreen

Awards
Try Lean Gains Protocol. I don't eat my first meal until 1:00pm. Took me from 212@12% BF to 205@7% BF. It takes time to get used to the fast but it is effective. I'm sure there will be controversy surrounding this protocol, but we need to remember that everybody functions differently. This protocol works well for me and many others, but may not be for you.

mikeg313

mikeg313

Awards
  • Established
Try Lean Gains Protocol. I don't eat my first meal until 1:00pm. Took me from 212@12% BF to 205@7% BF. It takes time to get used to the fast but it is effective. I'm sure there will be controversy surrounding this protocol, but we need to remember that everybody functions differently. This protocol works well for me and many others, but may not be for you.
But does it come with a black fedora? :)

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
recently ive been gaining strength being completely fasted for my workouts.

carbs make you hold water ( i believe 4g of water for every 1g carb ), so if you train fasted its even more important to take in alot of water/fluid before your workouts so you don't get fatigued quickly. if i workout and dont have at least 20-30 ozs of water before , i get fatigued super fast.

thats been my experience with fasted training, anyway.

Docmattic

Docmattic

Awards
  • Established
I often find it difficult to eat in the morning.

My favourite breakfast is a home made protien bar. they're easy to eat and about 500 cals.

At the moment im eating two peices of brown bread with natural penut butter + a dbl scoop protein shake with milk. Its a nice fast breakfast too.

However, If I'm low carbing i put two scoops of whey in 300mls of pasteurized egg white with a tbl spoon of pure coco.

Whacked

Whacked

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Agreed on the fluid intake. Glycerol and creatine assit with this as well for us low carb types ;)

recently ive been gaining strength being completely fasted for my workouts.

carbs make you hold water ( i believe 4g of water for every 1g carb ), so if you train fasted its even more important to take in alot of water/fluid before your workouts so you don't get fatigued quickly. if i workout and dont have at least 20-30 ozs of water before , i get fatigued super fast.

thats been my experience with fasted training, anyway.

jared767

Awards
I do. And it usually happens when I take a midnight snack.

Spartan32

Awards
I had the same problem, a buddy of mine who's a physical therapist said to drive down 12-16 ounces of water as soon as you wake up. Apparently it'll jump start your metabolism for the day. I have a bottle next to me for when I wake up, after that I ****, shower, shave and then have no problem eating.