Anybody buy recently expired products

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I was looking though a bunch of sites because I was board and found poor boy supplements and flex it both sell expired products at super low prices. Flex it had protein containers for $10. What’s everyone’s thoughts on these?

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have no issues with expired supplements although protein powder I'd probably not purchase if a year past expiration.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Expiration dates don't mean anything when it comes to synthetic compounds and not nearly as much as some people think on organic compounds too considering powder/freeze drying. The only thing to worry about is poor storage. Go look at the Harvard studies for the bioavailability of medicines and supplements from 10-30 years old. Cliff notes spoiler - there is a miniscule discernable difference +/- 10% bioavailability of of so called "old" supplements.

bwdill

bwdill

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Expiration dates don't mean anything when it comes to synthetic compounds and not nearly as much as some people think on organic compounds too considering powder/freeze drying. The only thing to worry about is poor storage. Go look at the Harvard studies for the bioavailability of medicines and supplements from 10-30 years old. Cliff notes spoiler - there is a miniscule discernable difference +/- 10% bioavailability of of so called "old" supplements.
100% this. I had a buddy thats a chemist and he said that all they would do is sample a pinch of the powder for potency. That 99.9% of the time there is no change, especially if temperature didn't fluctuate by extreme amount (high heat high humidity - low humidity frigid cold).

I buy expired protein all the time since it's like 75% off haha.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
There is out of date and then there is super freaking old. Here are my loose self-imposed guidelines:

Oils are out for the most part. A Carlson of Nordic Naturals fish oil that is less than a month out I would be ok with but for the most part, I do not want 6-month-old krill or fish oil. I had a bottle of Mac Nut Oil from Swanson that was in the fridge from the day I bought it and it had an exp. date sometime in 2021. I just tossed it as it was absolutely rancid. If an oil kept in the fridge that has a year left on it goes bad I don't trust an expired one.

Dried herbs, isolated vitamins, and especially minerals are almost good indefinitely. For instance, tableted magnesium oxide is not going to magically convert to something else assuming semi-reasonable storage conditions.

Proteins that have all that creamer garbage added to them no thank you but otherwise, a few months is no big deal to me.

Bars: I eat a lot of these past dates but avoid ones with actual nut pieces as those taste rancid to me in a "fresh" bar. It is amazing how 10 seconds in the microwave and "refresh" an old quest like bar lol.

Now taste and texture definitely take a hit with stuff like pre-workouts and aminos. I have had some alphamine that tasted very different a year out of date.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I read somewhere that after supplements go past their expiry date they usually just become less potent but don’t become poisonous like food does. That said I wouldn’t take any risky compounds that’ve gone past their expiry date

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What about expired liver tablets? Think that is a safe buy?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
if the ingredients are just herbs, vitamins and minerals I think it’ll be fine
It is desiccated liver. It's like a freeze dried product, but it's a heat dried product. Should be sealed.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It is desiccated liver. It's like a freeze dried product, but it's a heat dried product. Should be sealed.
is it literally just heat dried desiccated liver?

If that’s the case then as its a dried animal product I wouldn’t feel too safe taking it. I don’t think anything too bad‘s likely to happen if you did but personally I’d just add a little bit of liver to my diet. The stuff’s really cheap and depending on the concentration of those pills you‘d probably get more benefit from eating just 50g of liver a day

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
is it literally just heat dried desiccated liver?

If that’s the case then as its a dried animal product I wouldn’t feel too safe taking it. I don’t think anything too bad‘s likely to happen if you did but personally I’d just add a little bit of liver to my diet. The stuff’s really cheap and depending on the concentration of those pills you‘d probably get more benefit from eating just 50g of liver a day
Don't like liver. My theory is that freeze dried food can last year's and be fine.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Don't like liver. My theory is that freeze dried food can last year's and be fine.
I agree with your theory, I’m concerned because the manufacturer is likely to have set the expiry date with that in mind

so long as the seal’s unbroken I don’t think there’s too much risk

bigdadybry

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Bought some "soon to expire" protein powders and supplements before. Used them after their expiration date. No issues. Wish the deals came along more often. Too good to pass up.
Thanks cheftepesh1 for the sites!

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Bought some "soon to expire" protein powders and supplements before. Used them after their expiration date. No issues. Wish the deals came along more often. Too good to pass up.
Thanks cheftepesh1 for the sites!
Check out flex it nutrition. Tons of expired and super cheap stuff there.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hate to admit but VS has great clearance, they are not allowed to sell expired. But protein powder that expires soon, maybe 6 months 75% off. Just have to pass through there once a week. Alot of PES.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hate to admit but VS has great clearance, they are not allowed to sell expired. But protein powder that expires soon, maybe 6 months 75% off. Just have to pass through there once a week. Alot of PES.
VS ????

Marcia

Marcia

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I used to work in an independently owned supp store and ALWAYS got the expired stuff. No ever an issue.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I believe VS throws their stuff away once expired, I was like point me to the dump you use nightly😲

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Liver tabs will be FINE. Most food is safe well past the expiration date. It's not like a food suddenly goes, "oh **** it's july 29, I am now poison." lol Any processed food item/supplement that is not oil-based lasts a long long time past date. I just ate a 6 month past date quest bar.....I hope I make it.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Liver tabs will be FINE. Most food is safe well past the expiration date. It's not like a food suddenly goes, "oh **** it's july 29, I am now poison." lol Any processed food item/supplement that is not oil-based lasts a long long time past date. I just ate a 6 month past date quest bar.....I hope I make it.
Thanks for the input