Any Summary of Eccentric Training Methods?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

Being still unable to use a gym because of COVID, I only have a 20 kg and 32 kg kettlebell.

I am getting back into eccentric training, as I think it is a good preparation for full barbell and dumbbell gym lifting.

A few questions:

1. Just curious, who defines the word?

I have heard it pronounced similar to "he has an eccentric personality" and "He loaded the weight for e-centric training." Which one is correct?

I am not trying to ask a stupid question , just trying to get it right, as there was debate over "gly-see-mic" versus "gly-kem-ic" index.

2. More importantly, what research do we have on eccentric training?

Even Wikipedia summarizes it well: Eccentric Training

But, there are few detailed studied and guidelines of what to do, and how.

3. What is the exact time for the lowering phase?

I have heard anywhere from 3 to 5 seconds is optimal. Anything over five seconds down is basically a waste of time.

4. Should eccentric training be used on it's own?

Meaning, that an entire 45 minute training session focuses on "time under tension" with no care to how many reps are done, or how much weight as lifted, as long as tension (reps * weight * time under tension) is maximized.

I saw that with the first phase of Hypertrophy Max.

5. I am also curious from personal anecdote, as I once did the Body for Life perfectly, for six whole months, but results were lacklusted.

Then, again, I was 18 years old, 8% bodyfat. If we recall, the Body for Life challenge exercises allowed machines rather than free weights, and the goal was to trim down. The diet came out to 1800 calories a day.

Being almost 37, untrained, 30% bodyfat, etc. even that ineffective Body for Life routine might get me to move closer to where I once was.

Doing Heavy Eccentric training, including with KB, might even get me to a point above normal.

6. I know, I have a collection of critics who say my questions are so subjective. I never mean that.

Rather, I just want to get to the bottom of the truth about training: giving the body a new stimulus to adapt to.

The more efficiently I can learn about that, and do that exactly, the better.

7. Thanks again for being a great forum. I appreciate that many people do reference science articles, etc.