Unanswered Any healthy snacks to keep blood sugar stable?

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I noticed earlier on today i got a really low blood sugar feeling (Hypoglycemia) Hands shaking 'Sweaty and insane sugar cravings. Sugar levels must a just dropped quickly.

I ended up buying.. Crystalised Ginger... Basically cooked Ginger chunks that are covered in sugar. I was like damn.. Sugar! Ah the ginger offsets it A few pieces and i was back to my old self again. I read online all it takes is 15g of carbs to bring your levels back stable again so i only had a few pieces then waited 10 minutes and i was fine again.

Just got me thinking.. Any healthy options to quickly raise blood sugar? I actually quite liked those ginger sweets. Its only ginger and sugar so their actually not too bad in comparison to some sweet treats.. Also ginger does wonders for my stomach aswell.

What does everyone else use? I usually eat slow digesting carbs but today it just seemed to plummet quickly. I get this now and again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

rboyd0041

Awards
I generally try to head off hypo situations by consuming around 20-30 carbs preworkout. Other than this may sip on some gatorade or similar sugary drink when I get low, often mixed with some EAAs. I mostly go low during workouts if I train fasted, im also a type 1 diabetic.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like insulin resistance. I would get that fixed. Eating too often breeds insulin resistance. Which breeds eating often. A circle of bad. Eating too often inhibits fat loss also, even if it is a small snack. Food for thought. No pun intended. I am glad I went fat based. I can go hours without having to have anything.

Last edited:

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Speak to a real medical doctor.

Conditions like hypoglycemia are misdiagnosed, especially with the alternative medicine crowd and self-speculating.

Most people get more anxious and have trouble concentrating if they do not eat every 2-3 hours. Some even get bad headaches, trembling, etc.

The best way is to eat healthy carbohydrate and protein combinations. MRP's, protein powder + fruit, lean protein + complex carboydrates in about 4-6 oz servings, every 2-3 hours, usually stabilizes things.

Lots of exercise, especially intense exercise, helps balance things out, too. Increased fat oxidation causes more stable sugar levels, and in general adapting to exercise makes you a stronger, more stress resistant person.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Ahhh insulin sensitivity and glycemic variability.....an area I’ve been looking at a lot at the moment.....

Low glycemic variability is heavily linked to longevity and good health so something worth achieving. There’s some obvious dietary things one can do like avoiding foods (simple sugars especially in the absence of fibre) that spike insulin but it’s also very easy to supplement.

Cinnamon, berberine, bitter melon extract and metformin (this one is a prescription med) all do an excellent job of assisting a more consistent glycemic response. You can also buy a constant blood glucose monitor if you really want to start self quantifying this stuff.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ahhh insulin sensitivity and glycemic variability.....an area I’ve been looking at a lot at the moment.....

Low glycemic variability is heavily linked to longevity and good health so something worth achieving. There’s some obvious dietary things one can do like avoiding foods (simple sugars especially in the absence of fibre) that spike insulin but it’s also very easy to supplement.

Cinnamon, berberine, bitter melon extract and metformin (this one is a prescription med) all do an excellent job of assisting a more consistent glycemic response. You can also buy a constant blood glucose monitor if you really want to start self quantifying this stuff.
Hey Bro. You well?

I have Berberine + Gymnema Sylvestre to hand at home. I add Ceylon cinnamon to some meals i have as well.

Was just the other day i got a sudden plummet in blood sugars. Makes you feel dreadful. Wanted to eat the kitchen cupboards lol i just had a small bite and within 15 minutes i felt back to normal. I read online it says you need 15g of sugars to quickly stabilise blood sugars. I done this and it worked perfectly.

Been thinking of changing my diet as this has happened a few times this year. Was gonna cut carbs back and raise my fats? I have had my bloods tested before for any blood sugar issues and it cane back perfect so must have just been a blip?

Hows things anyhow?

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Hey Bro. You well?

I have Berberine + Gymnema Sylvestre to hand at home. I add Ceylon cinnamon to some meals i have as well.

Was just the other day i got a sudden plummet in blood sugars. Makes you feel dreadful. Wanted to eat the kitchen cupboards lol i just had a small bite and within 15 minutes i felt back to normal. I read online it says you need 15g of sugars to quickly stabilise blood sugars. I done this and it worked perfectly.

Been thinking of changing my diet as this has happened a few times this year. Was gonna cut carbs back and raise my fats? I have had my bloods tested before for any blood sugar issues and it cane back perfect so must have just been a blip?

Hows things anyhow?
Yeah all good my side brother. Busy with work but managing to hit my summer cut (not been as effective as last year but slowly getting there).

Been playing around with fasting this year.....the mechanisms involved with longer fasts are really interesting to me

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah all good my side brother. Busy with work but managing to hit my summer cut (not been as effective as last year but slowly getting there).

Been playing around with fasting this year.....the mechanisms involved with longer fasts are really interesting to me
Good stuff Sometimes a slow and steady cut works better.

What's your intermittent fasting protocol? 16 & 8?

I fast 16+ hours everyday as normal now.. Just seems like my eating pattern now.. I was doing a 20 & 4 now and again and done a couple 24 hour fasts and just hammered down a crazy meal. Felt like death though

Your last meal is always a good starter for the next days fast.. I have played around with loads of last dinner meals to see how it makes me feel the next day. I found high protein high fat and moderate carb always made fasting the next day a lot easier. If i do a low fat moderate protein and high carb i seem ravenous the next morning and even struggle with the 16 hours.. You will find what suits you though

mugger

mugger

Awards
I IF 16/8. I use berberine for high carb meals in the morning and afternoon. I made the mistake of taking in a night and woke up Hypo. Plus ACV, drinking that right before bed didn't help matter. Although, I go into Keto within a day with the Berberine protocol.

bell1986

bell1986

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I IF 16/8. I use berberine for high carb meals in the morning and afternoon. I made the mistake of taking in a night and woke up Hypo. Plus ACV, drinking that right before bed didn't help matter. Although, I go into Keto within a day with the Berberine protocol.
Have you just became Keto adapted so can drop in and out easy enough?

I done very low carb for about 4 days + fasting and nothing lol started to feel like mould so i just swapped back.

mugger

mugger

Awards
Have you just became Keto adapted so can drop in and out easy enough?

I done very low carb for about 4 days + fasting and nothing lol started to feel like mould so i just swapped back.
You know how you get hypo and barely have any carbs? Think about it, you're kinda performing a dirty keto. You just have to master and time it. That's what I do with Berberine. I trying to get it to the point as far as timing.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good stuff Sometimes a slow and steady cut works better.

What's your intermittent fasting protocol? 16 & 8?

I fast 16+ hours everyday as normal now.. Just seems like my eating pattern now.. I was doing a 20 & 4 now and again and done a couple 24 hour fasts and just hammered down a crazy meal. Felt like death though

Your last meal is always a good starter for the next days fast.. I have played around with loads of last dinner meals to see how it makes me feel the next day. I found high protein high fat and moderate carb always made fasting the next day a lot easier. If i do a low fat moderate protein and high carb i seem ravenous the next morning and even struggle with the 16 hours.. You will find what suits you though
I’ve tried a few things tbh.....I was unintentionally doing a 12 hr fast daily just because I didn’t eat until after my morning run anyway (not that I think 12 hours is really a fast) and I pushed that to 14/10 or 16/8 every day. Actually found it harder to control calories in the feeding window when it was shorter though.....

I also did a 5 day water fast about 3 months back, that was surprisingly easy and I plan to do 3-5 days 2-3 times a year. Currently Ive dropped back to a 12/12 daily routine with 36 hr fasts once every 1-2 weeks (I pick a day when I’m travelling with work and don’t eat).

I wasn’t doing it for weight loss but rather for cell autophagy so the longer fasts are more beneficial. I also use metformin daily and have been for 4-5 months now so I think that combined with the cinnamon, acv, butter melon etc plus cardio plus a moderate carb diet (I’m typically 150g carbs a day or less) probably isn’t conducive to shorter feeding windows daily....