Any Good Research on Genetic's Effect on Muscle Building?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

I am speaking with a professor. He believes deliberate practice is the only way people become experts. I have told him that genetics do play a role, even though an individual's hard work definitely makes the greatest difference.

He wants medical research and scientific studies, rather than just anecdotes. Can anyone cite studies for the following:

1. Genetic difference on muscle fiber type?

Surely, there must be some, as people from West Africa definitely have more Type 2B muscle fibers.

2. Genetic differences in response to training?

Why is it that Arnold Schwarzenegger and I could do the same things at age 25, but he advanced much better than me? Surely, genetics matter.

3. Genetic differences in responses to steroids and performance enhancing drugs?

Surely, there is a reason why some people can do even hard steroids like Anadrol, etc. and not get roid rage, and the rest of us are much more sensitive.

4. As you can see, I want to show that genetics have some role, about 33% from the exercise books I read.

But, I need citations.

Thanks!

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
National Institute of Health has tons of info. Just type in google whatever it is you’re looking for and end it with “nih”.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I can’t think of any I’ve read, but you could just look for studies regarding various genetic factors you can think of. Doesn’t even need to relate specifically to training. If you find, for example, research showing there can be a 10-fold difference between individuals for number of type 2 muscle fibers, clearly you’d expect differences in athletic performance. Just a thought.