Any Best Way to Reduce Calories?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

In our discussion, we know that fat loss involves caloric restriction.

I know many fat loss guru's say they have a "magic" way of losing fat without going into a caloric deficit. It always turns out to be bad science or charlatans.

But, knowing we need a caloric deficit, what is the best way to do it?

1. For example, daily caloric deficit, weekly (as in intermittent fasting), even monthly?

2. Three days of dieting, and one day of extra protein and carbs? To prevent metabolic shutdown?

3. Any science or anything?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As long as you are in a deficit the results will happen over time.
If you want to eat 6 meals, 3 meals, or 1 meal that is your personal preference. I would always opt for at least 3-4 meals a day spaced 4-6 hours apart to maximize muscle protein synthesis.

What is the "Best" way is no real answer
What you should ask yourself is - What is the "best" way for you to adhere to or sustain this plan?
Whatever that option is for you to be "Consistent" and "Dedicated" will yield proper fat loss over a period of time.

Creating a deficit on a day-to-day, weekly, or monthly basis can be manipulated in many ways. This is where you have to do trial and error, document, give each plan a significant amount of time, and see what gives you the best results as that varies way too much from person to person.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
As bob said, it can be very personal. Creating a deficit can be done in just about any of the ways you mentioned (daily, weekly, etc) so long as the person doing that "style" understands the scale that they need to look at their weight loss. For example, if you want to go for a weekly deficit, but are measuring and mad when the scale is not moving daily, you're looking at the wrong frame.

For me, I've learned that creating a daily deficit but looking at weight only as a weekly average is the best way to measure short-term progress. My weight fluctuates significantly through the day so measuring daily (especially if not consistent timing) doesn't help much.

Some ways I go about my deficit:
IF - I typically eat 1-2 large meals in the evening as this is what fits my schedule and does not have a significant negative impact on my workouts.
Weekdays vs weekends - I travel or WFH most weekdays so its easy to keep my calories low to match my lower activity levels (through the day I'm mostly just in front of the computer, at home I do get an extra walk in at lunchtime with the dog). On the weekends, I want (and enjoy) more freedom with my cals so I don't worry about eating more or higher cal foods (or having a few drinks). Overall, the days, weeks, and sometimes even months balance out. Some weekends I don't stray much from my weekly diet and the week overall is lower cals, while others are total blowouts (trips, parties, whatever).

I like to look for trends more that specific points. i.e. one day, week, whatever can be a great or terrible reference but multiple days, weeks, etc that most are generally heading in the same direction is a better judgement of progress (or lack of).

CasperKValentine

CasperKValentine

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
A trick of mine is some simple lower calorie substitutions on things I normally eat. When cutting I switch from regular rice to cauliflower rice and 2% milk to almond milk. Cuts quite a few daily calories right there.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Eat low calorie dense foods and opt for more protein. For example , 100 calories from rice vs 100 calories from spinach, green beans and cucumber. You'll literally have a palm of rice vs a GIANT SALAD. Also , a tablespoon of peanut butter? I'd prefer two whole eggs. Two scoops of whey? I'd be way more satisfied and satiated with a can of tuna and a cup of egg whites.