Antibiotics and Supps

Malbranque

Malbranque

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hi all,

Very sporadic information at best on this subject, so I just said I'd ask one of you wonderful Salmons of Knowledge on here for any kind of advice on this:

I've been fighting off a chest infection for weeks. Usually a good dose of Oreganol and some RidgeCrest Clear Lungs or something akin to that will do the trick (as I have asthma) but I buckled to western medicine today and my Doc prescribed Amoclav (an Amoxcillin / Clavulanic Acid antibiotic combo) for a week. He also prescribed Prednisone for 20 days but I'm not taking that (any time it's been prescribed in the past, I haven't taken it because it makes me feel horrendous).

Basically, the point/question is, has anyone taken antibiotics and cracked on as normal with their training?
Currently taking Dermacrine, Laxogenin, Letrone and staples like Hemavol, BCAAs and L-Dopa (Dopa is on a 5 day on 2 off gig).

Cheers

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Hard to train 'normal' with a chest infection.
imo, most of what you listed won't work under these conditions and, in fact, may lead to you feeling worse.
Keep the Amino's.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hi all,

Very sporadic information at best on this subject, so I just said I'd ask one of you wonderful Salmons of Knowledge on here for any kind of advice on this:

I've been fighting off a chest infection for weeks. Usually a good dose of Oreganol and some RidgeCrest Clear Lungs or something akin to that will do the trick (as I have asthma) but I buckled to western medicine today and my Doc prescribed Amoclav (an Amoxcillin / Clavulanic Acid antibiotic combo) for a week. He also prescribed Prednisone for 20 days but I'm not taking that (any time it's been prescribed in the past, I haven't taken it because it makes me feel horrendous).

Basically, the point/question is, has anyone taken antibiotics and cracked on as normal with their training?
Currently taking Dermacrine, Laxogenin, Letrone and staples like Hemavol, BCAAs and L-Dopa (Dopa is on a 5 day on 2 off gig).

Cheers
a week is a short amount of time, if it were me I would stop supps and wait it out.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would never train with any intensity with a chest infection - general rule of thumb is below the neck sickness, dont push yourself.

NoAddedHmones

NoAddedHmones

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would never train with any intensity with a chest infection - general rule of thumb is below the neck sickness, dont push yourself.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
You should be fine continuing supps, but I would only do very light workouts if you have chest issues.

Malbranque

Malbranque

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Cheers lads. I'm on a 5/3/1 so I'll do a light deload for the duration and maybe a 2nd deload week following just to let myself recover best I can...

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You should be fine continuing supps, but I would only do very light workouts if you have chest issues.
Definitely agreed here. I wouldn't try to push it while you're sick. Plus you're not gunna be able to do as much anyways being sick with lack of energy.

mcc23

Awards
  • Established
Hi all,

Cheers
Hey so I'm in the same boat as you with the asthma. How do you feel the Ridgecrest product works for you?
Also, I despise prednisone as well but it is still a fantastic anti inflammatory medication and may benefit you in the short term...something to think about....

ironkill

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'd look at getting a good probiotic when your done the antibiotics run. Can destroy your gut microbiome for a long time if not taken care of right after a run.

Malbranque

Malbranque

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hey so I'm in the same boat as you with the asthma. How do you feel the Ridgecrest product works for you?
Also, I despise prednisone as well but it is still a fantastic anti inflammatory medication and may benefit you in the short term...something to think about....
Their AsthmaClear product with the homeopathic ingredients worked absolute wonders for me to the point I didn't feel like I had asthma anymore, but since discontinuing that, I use the less effective AirwayClear and have two tubs of the also discontinued Extra Strength Clear Lungs that I'll use periodically if it gets really bad. Shame they had to remove all homeopathic ingredients as I feel whatever the science was behind their formulas back then, it genuinely worked wonders.
Mullein Lung Complex by Planetary Herbals is also a fantastic supplement.

I might run with the Pred to be honest. It's 20 days, tapered down every five days, but I usually wind up with moon face and feeling cr@p for the time on, but I suppose, the greater good and all that.

I got Now Foods' Respiratory Probiotic and Udos Choice. I'll use the Now Foods one two hours after taking the antibiotic and the Udos Choice one when I'm finished.

Asthma though. It's horrendous. I can't even take creatine because of it. (I'm not getting into an argument about creatine. Wonderful, wonderful supplement but it just doesn't work for me and my asthma...)

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If I ever have to take antibiotics which i despise I switch to high rep low weight for a few weeks. Antibiotics wreak havoc on tendons.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If I ever have to take antibiotics which i despise I switch to high rep low weight for a few weeks. Antibiotics wreak havoc on tendons.
Thats a broad generalization. The only class shown to do that is the fluoroquinolones (cipro-, levo- , moxi- floxacin).

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What I do when I have to take antibiotics to offset negative effects:
A lot of fiber and prebiotics
3-4h after antibiotic dose take a probiotic
Glutamine whenever
Ginger whenever

Sometimes also add natural antibiotic herbs:
green tea extract
oregano garlic