Another skinny guy who needs a new life

jaynik

Awards
I'm 6'1" 125lbs.

I hate it.

I am very active. I kayak, I walk like a mile a day at work and Im a drummer. Im fit FOR MY SIZE. zero body fat.

I cant gain up to a normal weight. I had a warehouse job with my just-as-skinny little brother for a year, lifting things all day. He gained 30lbs I get JACK. Same diet except I drink more beer. Frustrating.

Women hate skinny guys, Im relativley weak compared to my peers, and I look like a bag of bones with bags draped over cause THEY DONT MAKE CLOTHES for people like me :/

Ive tried everything short of lifting weights everyday (ive done three times a week, no result) and drinking eggs which isnt something I could do.

I once bumped my calories from my comfortable 2-3k up to nearly 4k but I felt sick. I prob did it wrong but I gained 5lbs. lost it in a matter of days when I quit the diet.

My metabolism is INSANE. I didnt eat for ONE DAY, ONE TIME and I couldnt get out of bed the next day.

I had food poisoning and I lost enough leg strength it took me a month to get my drumming foot back.

I'd like to be like 150-160. Id take a slighty pudgy 150-160. Id look normal! I could do normal.

My diet: doesnt matter cuz ill change it.

HELP!!!

Kevin R

Awards
  • Established
I'm sure someone can shed a more detailed light your problem, but you already know the answer. You need to eat more food. Doesn't matter what -- just eat. As far as bumping up the calories, do it slower. To go from 2-3k up to 4k in one day might not be feasible for you. Maybe go up 100 a week or whatever you feel comfortable with until you can handle 4000 calories.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
track your intake at fitday.com
i'll second working up the calories/day more slowly next time. get at least 1.5-2gms protein/lb body weight adn don't shy away from fat. eat every 2-3 hours and log everything. fine tune the level you need to gain.
then design a nice 4-day split around the big 3 compound lifts. and above all stick to it. this lifestyle demands commitment.
oh and dump the beer, empty calories. you need your liver processing protein for you, not metabilizing alcohol.

i drink 2-3 homemade weight gainers per day:
1c whole milk
4 tablespoons EV olive oil
20gms dextrose
54gms ON whey.
each is just over 900 cals.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
track your intake at fitday.com
i'll second working up the calories/day more slowly next time. get at least 1.5-2gms protein/lb body weight adn don't shy away from fat. eat every 2-3 hours and log everything. fine tune the level you need to gain.
then design a nice 4-day split around the big 3 compound lifts. and above all stick to it. this lifestyle demands commitment.
oh and dump the beer, empty calories. you need your liver processing protein for you, not metabilizing alcohol.

i drink 2-3 homemade weight gainers per day:
1c whole milk
4 tablespoons EV olive oil
20gms dextrose
54gms ON whey.
each is just over 900 cals.
He basically summed it up better then i could but i'll add some tidbits if your main goal is to gain weight lay of some cardio focus on compound lifts and lift heavy. As mentioned you really need to eat a surpluss of calories but work your way up there. Try to get 150-200 G of protein or so a day and just eat only way your gonna gain its hard to gain weight when your skinny so stick to it.

jaynik

Awards
I guess I have another wuestion. If I do gain to an ideal weight by pounding expensive amounts of food will I ahve to stay at that high of an intake or is it likley I could slide back down to a comfortable, NORMAL, diet and just maintain at that point? I feel like I could work hard for a year tog et there, miss two weeks of dieting/excercise while on vacation or unemployed or something and lose ALL OF IT.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Once you get up to that point theres something called maintence calories if thats the weight you wish to stay at you just eat the amount of calories you can to stay at that weight. Which can be calculated from your Daily Activity and what not. But you have to track everything you eat/do to find your maintance calories. I wouldt doubt ud lose it all in 2 weeks ud maybe lose a few pounds but nothing to the point of being back at ground zero.

jaynik

Awards
Ok I started the fitday.com thing. I am jaynik on there too.

Jsherbro

Jsherbro

Awards
Hmm I am wondering how old you are? Other than that everyone is spot on with the calorie thing. As for things like supplements, don't fall into their advertising. I know how tempting it was when I weighed 60 lbs. less than I do now. I couldn't gain a pound and I ended up spending more money on all these supplements I saw in muscle mags and what not, INSTEAD of spending it on what I SHOULD have been spending it on...which was quality food. FOOD IS THE BEST SUPPLEMENT. after you tweak your diet, consider a creatine, glutamine, arginine. 4k+ is hard to get in one day, especially everyday, and shakes do make that easier, whether you go with cytogainer or mass xxx, or homemade like urbanski suggested, 2-3 a day will help you get in that extra 1800 cals. I would even suggest carbs before bed. I would always have carbs before bed, but that is only if you are training, weightlifting. Are you weightlifting? what does your routine look like? Squats/Deadlifts will ALWAYS help put on some mass, if you do them right and as heavy as you can HANDLE. Let me know if you have questions. Good Luck.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
I guess I have another wuestion. If I do gain to an ideal weight by pounding expensive amounts of food will I ahve to stay at that high of an intake or is it likley I could slide back down to a comfortable, NORMAL, diet and just maintain at that point? I feel like I could work hard for a year tog et there, miss two weeks of dieting/excercise while on vacation or unemployed or something and lose ALL OF IT.
at my current weight, 3300 calories is maintenance, 4300 and i gain, 5000 and i gain over 1lb/week.
never in my life have i needed over 3K cals/day just to maintain...so yeah, once you start putting on LBM you're maintenance goes up. its a LIFEstyle, not a couple months then quit thing.
but no, if your diet falters for 2 weeks you wont lose "it all".

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
If I were in your shoes I'd go today and buy the book Super Squats and follow it exactly as it's layed out!!

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
heavy back squats and milk cure everything

AntonG42O

AntonG42O

Awards
  • Established
After a substantial period of time the body will actually assume its new weight and calibrate itself accordingly. At any point in your life you have this designated body mass and you will actually release hormones to keep yourself at that weight. This is why very obese people have such a hard time losing weight through diet/exercise, because once they lose 10-20 pounds their body will start pumping hormones trying to get them back into obesity. If you bulk up and maintain it for a year or 2 then that will pretty much become your new body.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I agree with what everyone has said so far. I too have an ectomorph frame and know the struggles that are ahead of you. I would like to stress some basic rules to remember.

1. Lift heavy after you have established some base muscle. Meaning lift light if you have to at first. This helps build proper form, but mentally can be a killer. You have to have good form and base muscle to build anything on. Dont worry about what anyone else in the gym is lifting and NO they arent looking at you funny.

2. Start with good foods and keep up with it. This requires you to be a smart shopper and maybe have to drive to a Costco or BJ's depending on where you live. Stock up on items like Tuna, Natural PB, Oats, Beef, Pasta, WHOLE milk, and Eggs. Get as much canned fish as possible because it is a quick snack with a good amount of protein. If you want we can start a list on this thread of what you should be buying in bulk?

3. Get lots of sleep. Your body rebuilds muscle when you hit high REM's during sleep. When you finally hit deep sleep protein synthesis will occur. You should have a big glass of whole milk before you go to bed so that you have a slower absorbing protein in your system for when you hit your REM's. If you wake up and feel starving that is good but it also means you need more pre-bed protein. You NEED good sleep. Change your lifestyle around if you have to. The pyramid of gaining weight is Workout, Nutrition, and Sleep. All equally important.

4. Eventually take a creatine monohydrate and see how you feel. This is cheap and easy and you will gain a little strength and size from it. You also will feel good about yourself.

5. This is a LIFESYTLE that you need to commit to for the rest of your life. If you arent willing to do that then quit now.

6. I personally have a Muscle Milk shake post workout. I think for our body type this is a great protein post workout. Check online vendors for deals. Get some type of protein for post-workout. Taste should be your last concern. If you drink it and dont like it then too bad. You will get used to it.

7. Cut out the alcohol. Alcohol blunts testosterone. This is a big no-no. A few beers on Friday is ok, but cut it out the rest of the time. And when you do drink dont get loaded as you kill your workout for the next few days. Bodybuilding is your only social activity that you should be concerned about.

8. Limit cardio down to a good quick mile after you work out at first. You will be putting on some belly fat and thats the way it goes. If you eat like you need to then you will gain some fat. Remember Eat Eat Eat. Read my signature. You might look stupid with belly fat but your muscles will be growing as well, and you can always cut down fat when you hit your ideal weight. You will feel awesome when the scale goes up regardless of fat percentage (this doesnt mean become a fat slob). If you start to put on more fat then you like, then up the cardio.

9. Calories are important but protein should be your target for right now.

10. Be smart about your diet and plan ahead for work days. This will take some of your time at night, but it will be well worth it in the end. Dont ever feel hungry at work.

Feel free to PM me with any questions that you have. The guys on this board are top notch. I gained over 30lbs in one year. You can do it too.

Jsherbro

Jsherbro

Awards
I agree with what everyone has said so far. I too have an ectomorph frame and know the struggles that are ahead of you. I would like to stress some basic rules to remember.

1. Lift heavy after you have established some base muscle. Meaning lift light if you have to at first. This helps build proper form, but mentally can be a killer. You have to have good form and base muscle to build anything on. Dont worry about what anyone else in the gym is lifting and NO they arent looking at you funny.

2. Start with good foods and keep up with it. This requires you to be a smart shopper and maybe have to drive to a Costco or BJ's depending on where you live. Stock up on items like Tuna, Natural PB, Oats, Beef, Pasta, WHOLE milk, and Eggs. Get as much canned fish as possible because it is a quick snack with a good amount of protein. If you want we can start a list on this thread of what you should be buying in bulk?

3. Get lots of sleep. Your body rebuilds muscle when you hit high REM's during sleep. When you finally hit deep sleep protein synthesis will occur. You should have a big glass of whole milk before you go to bed so that you have a slower absorbing protein in your system for when you hit your REM's. If you wake up and feel starving that is good but it also means you need more pre-bed protein. You NEED good sleep. Change your lifestyle around if you have to. The pyramid of gaining weight is Workout, Nutrition, and Sleep. All equally important.

4. Eventually take a creatine monohydrate and see how you feel. This is cheap and easy and you will gain a little strength and size from it. You also will feel good about yourself.

5. This is a LIFESYTLE that you need to commit to for the rest of your life. If you arent willing to do that then quit now.

6. I personally have a Muscle Milk shake post workout. I think for our body type this is a great protein post workout. Check online vendors for deals. Get some type of protein for post-workout. Taste should be your last concern. If you drink it and dont like it then too bad. You will get used to it.

7. Cut out the alcohol. Alcohol blunts testosterone. This is a big no-no. A few beers on Friday is ok, but cut it out the rest of the time. And when you do drink dont get loaded as you kill your workout for the next few days. Bodybuilding is your only social activity that you should be concerned about.

8. Limit cardio down to a good quick mile after you work out at first. You will be putting on some belly fat and thats the way it goes. If you eat like you need to then you will gain some fat. Remember Eat Eat Eat. Read my signature. You might look stupid with belly fat but your muscles will be growing as well, and you can always cut down fat when you hit your ideal weight. You will feel awesome when the scale goes up regardless of fat percentage (this doesnt mean become a fat slob). If you start to put on more fat then you like, then up the cardio.

9. Calories are important but protein should be your target for right now.

10. Be smart about your diet and plan ahead for work days. This will take some of your time at night, but it will be well worth it in the end. Dont ever feel hungry at work.

Feel free to PM me with any questions that you have. The guys on this board are top notch. I gained over 30lbs in one year. You can do it too.
Point 5 is too true :)

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
if u already have a blazing fast metabolism i think u should stay 5-8 reps but heavy, correct me if im wrong guys but wouldnt that be ideal for hypertrophy and not having too much volume at the same time? have u looked into the basic 5x5 program? and if ur 6 ft 1 and u weigh the same as me i dont think u should do any extra cardio since u already kayak and whatnot. u should have some pretty decent strength in ur arms from that i would think tho.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
look up bill star's 5x5 or Jim wendler's 5/3/1 and do it
and drink as much milk as you can handle. When you think you can't drink any more... drink some more.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
if u already have a blazing fast metabolism i think u should stay 5-8 reps but heavy, correct me if im wrong guys but wouldnt that be ideal for hypertrophy and not having too much volume at the same time? have u looked into the basic 5x5 program? and if ur 6 ft 1 and u weigh the same as me i dont think u should do any extra cardio since u already kayak and whatnot. u should have some pretty decent strength in ur arms from that i would think tho.
I would say that honestly depends on how much base muscle and proper form he has. If he is 6' and 125lbs I would imagine his base muscle set isn't there to support a heavy regimen yet.

How long have you been lifting for? How comfortable with your base muscle groups and your form do you feel?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend a Franco Columbo routine to start. He did upper body one day legs the next day, day off, upper body, then legs again. I can give you the specifics on what he used to do. You will see how sore you are after this routine I can promise you. Franco Columbo was on of the greats!!

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend a Franco Columbo routine to start. He did upper body one day legs the next day, day off, upper body, then legs again. I can give you the specifics on what he used to do. You will see how sore you are after this routine I can promise you. Franco Columbo was on of the greats!!
he was also an experienced bodybuilder. why not go with a tried and true beginners program like 5x5?

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
i think 5x5 would be more appropriate as well so that he can focus on perfecting the basics first before trying to replicate a routine of a very experienced bb.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
he was also an experienced bodybuilder. why not go with a tried and true beginners program like 5x5?
5x5 is a great start. I think I posted the Columbo without seeing your post. The Columbo routine that I would recommend is actually similar. It is what he used to do on his cutting/strength gain phases. I believe it was more of a 10 rep set for each body group contained in the upper and lower body.

jaynik

Awards
"I would say that honestly depends on how much base muscle and proper form he has. If he is 6' and 125lbs I would imagine his base muscle set isn't there to support a heavy regimen yet.

How long have you been lifting for? How comfortable with your base muscle groups and your form do you feel?"

I dont really know what comfort with "base muscle groups" means :/ my lifting, when I was doing it, was three times a week at my apartments gym (not there anymore) and I was using their various cable driven weight machines. Each machine had a pacard showing the muscle group it worked and I would do all of them, upper body one day and lower body the next. I would do a little chest everytime as well, since it didnt get as sore and my chest is crazy weak.

Havent done that in a year :/

p.s WOW you guys are very helpful. Msot people on the internet HATE newbies

sanchezgreg18

sanchezgreg18

Awards
  • Established
if ur looking to just get size and not worried about getting all defined then i would focus on squats, bench , deadlift, those alone will make u grow

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
"I would say that honestly depends on how much base muscle and proper form he has. If he is 6' and 125lbs I would imagine his base muscle set isn't there to support a heavy regimen yet.

How long have you been lifting for? How comfortable with your base muscle groups and your form do you feel?"

I dont really know what comfort with "base muscle groups" means :/ my lifting, when I was doing it, was three times a week at my apartments gym (not there anymore) and I was using their various cable driven weight machines. Each machine had a pacard showing the muscle group it worked and I would do all of them, upper body one day and lower body the next. I would do a little chest everytime as well, since it didnt get as sore and my chest is crazy weak.

Havent done that in a year :/

p.s WOW you guys are very helpful. Msot people on the internet HATE newbies
Jay,
You basically answered my question in a few words. You are just a beginner which is fine. Base muscle is the muscle you build when you are just a beginner and it starts with the first time you lift till when you feel the soreness not happening anymore and feel that you are ready to put up higher weight for that excercise. Meaning your muscles are getting stronger. Strength is your goal for right now, not size. Form will help your base muscles stretch to the best of their ability, thus making the muscle develop properly. Ever see the guys at the gym that are doing shoulder presses with dumbells that only bring them halfway down? That isnt proper form. A few questions for you:

1. Did you sign up at a real gym? (please say yes)
2. What days are you planning on lifting?
3. What is your work/gym schedule? (I work 24 hour shifts so it makes a difference) We can design a good lifting schedule for you once we know!!

People on this site are really helpful for humble people. Plus if you like the advice you can rep them on the side of the post. This boosts thier rep power and you'll notice the guys with high rep power are usually the ones who know what they are talking about (there are always multiple right ways).

jaynik

Awards
I have alot of free time between midnight and 3-4am most nights. Im an insane night owl :)

Im not a member of a gym and I doubt Ill be able to afford it. Im very fing poor :(

any day except weekends would be not too much of a problem.