Andro's with statins or RYR (Red Yeast)

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey guys, have a few cycles under my belt with andros/sarms. Panels taken each time post cycle, and experienced significant jumps in both cholesterol and liver scores. Tudca brought the liver scores back down. I'm wondering if anyone who has naturally high cholesterol levels, was able to keep them in check or within range, using statins or RYR in conjunction with their cycles?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Also, apologize for the duplicate posts. I was having an issue with an app.

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Bumping this. Currently using statins and looking to run a cycle fairly soon.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I remember reading, years ago, that the red yeast rice in stores is worthless for cholesterol. If you want the real stuff, it has to be Chinese ryr. I bought a bag of powder from Amazon and only used it for a few weeks. It doesn't mix in water, and isn't very tasty. Lol, I gave up on it.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I believe it contains monacolin k (spelling might be off). Same stuff as in statins so I’d assume it would work.

I take it for overall health. Read bits about it helping a myriad of things so put it in my supps stack a few years back....

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys, have a few cycles under my belt with andros/sarms. Panels taken each time post cycle, and experienced significant jumps in both cholesterol and liver scores. Tudca brought the liver scores back down. I'm wondering if anyone who has naturally high cholesterol levels, was able to keep them in check or within range, using statins or RYR in conjunction with their cycles?
RYR is the raw that was used to make lovastatin, which is essentially the second weakest statin. That said, an unstandardized ryr will likely be quite weak but probably better than nothing.

I’m genetically F’ed as far as cholesterol. I have heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.
Lovastatin hardly touched my cholesterol. I am on 40mg of Crestor now (which is the highest dose and the strongest of the commonly prescribed statins) and I am just barely in “normal” range. I also take 1500mg niacin (for HDL)

Last edited:

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks guys. I found a good source for RYR that has high content monacolin K. Had it tested. That said, also have Crestor. I was just curious, what if any effect, statins have on cycles, i.e. less effective etc.

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I found a good source for RYR that has high content monacolin K. Had it tested. That said, also have Crestor. I was just curious, what if any effect, statins have on cycles, i.e. less effective etc.
Statins can cause muscle breakdown. Simply resistance training with appropriate protein is probably enough to counter this though. Statins also increase risk of rhabdomyolysis. Hydration is absolutely key in preventing this as well as avoiding overtraining. For example, don’t do CrossFit (obviously lol). Ice tea colored urine and immediate onset of intense muscle soreness (more sore then you would consider normal) are your dead giveaways. It requires iv fluids unless you want a kidney transplant. I would avoid additional statin supplementation beyond creator. It will increase the risk of rhabdo while only providing slight benefit. There’s a reason max dose of Crestor has been cut in half from 80 to 40mg daily. Same with Lipitor. Drastically diminishing returns with drastically more risk. I would just pick one or the other. I have had rhabdo myself as well as frequently treat patients who have it. Just my suggestion though. Then again, being in a highly anabolic environment would likely minimize risk I would assume.

user567

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A lot of smart guys in here that do plenty of research yet they still take a statin. I dont get it. They have their place for a small portion of the population but they are the most overly prescribed drug on the planet and do NOTHING to prevent heart issues for the vast majority of people.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Citrus bergamot is also known to help reduce cholesterol.

thorsdad31

thorsdad31

Awards
  • Established
Statins can also raise liver enzymes I've had this happen to me my Dr took me off instantly

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My wife uses the red yeast rice and plant sterols to keep her cholesterol in check. Works well

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My wife uses the red yeast rice and plant sterols to keep her cholesterol in check. Works well