Anabolic memes

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sadly there are more that do than don't it's really bad when the client should be the one that looks like they should be training the trainer
Yeah I have quite a few young people that ask advice at my gym, I guess because I’m the in shape old guy. But there are a couple of personal trainers in the evenings that are pretty good and seem to know their stuff, but then there are a few earlier in the day that it’s just sad. They will be “training” people during that time that are typically out of shape men and women that want to lose fat, the problem is like you said some of those trainers need to be on a cut before they try and guide others. Just my opinion…..
47B3B9B5-664C-4CD7-9893-033A10C5D4BE.png

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah I have quite a few young people that ask advice at my gym, I guess because I’m the in shape old guy. But there are a couple of personal trainers in the evenings that are pretty good and seem to know their stuff, but then there are a few earlier in the day that it’s just sad. They will be “training” people during that time that are typically out of shape men and women that want to lose fat, the problem is like you said some of those trainers need to be on a cut before they try and guide others. Just my opinion…..
View attachment 224379
Love It !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Not even a lie there are some big dudes at my local PF but also because it’s the only gym in like a 10 mile radius. So it is what it is but it’s not awful.
I think people could get some good work done in there for sure, but someone is selling themselves short if it’s the only place they ever train.

At some point, having some free weights is good variety at a minimum. And a less stifling atmosphere.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Not even a lie there are some big dudes at my local PF but also because it’s the only gym in like a 10 mile radius. So it is what it is but it’s not awful.
If it’s all you got, you can make a way for bodybuilding or staying in shape. A powerlifter would have a very difficult time, though, maintaining or gaining strength, in my opinion.

Last edited:

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think people could get some good work done in there for sure, but someone is selling themselves short if it’s the only place they ever train.

At some point, having some free weights is good variety at a minimum. And a less stifling atmosphere.
They got dumbbells so at least theirs that. And they have curl bars up to 100pbs I think so it’s not awful

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
LOL I had an awesome gym in tacoma for $9.99/month a few years back. they sold to planet fitness. I walked in, every single barbell was gone. immediately told them to cancel my membership and I could tell about 1/2 of the people had done the same. they had a whole process lined up to quickly help people quit. ha.

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
One of my buddies goes to PF. He’s bigger than me, more ripped than me, and stronger than me by quite a bit. I still like picking on that place, but if it’s what you got then it’ll work just fine for most purposes.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
One of my buddies goes to PF. He’s bigger than me, more ripped than me, and stronger than me by quite a bit. I still like picking on that place, but if it’s what you got then it’ll work just fine for most purposes.
I'm at LA Fitness now cause that's what's available. But the dip bar is a mile away from the weights so weighted dips are a struggle. We have lifting platforms but the "bumper" plates are so incredibly hard that actually dropping a missed clean and jerk would rattle the whole gym. I love the options here for a million reasons however there are some major limitations once you get serious again.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
LOL I had an awesome gym in tacoma for $9.99/month a few years back. they sold to planet fitness. I walked in, every single barbell was gone. immediately told them to cancel my membership and I could tell about 1/2 of the people had done the same. they had a whole process lined up to quickly help people quit. ha.
tacoma wa? Was it off South Korea way? Lol been a while since I have been in that area

Marne40

Marne40

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm at LA Fitness now cause that's what's available. But the dip bar is a mile away from the weights so weighted dips are a struggle. We have lifting platforms but the "bumper" plates are so incredibly hard that actually dropping a missed clean and jerk would rattle the whole gym. I love the options here for a million reasons however there are some major limitations once you get serious again.
LA Fitness was my least favorite gym membership when I was younger. Very good options, like you said, but I hated the atmosphere.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You can get into and stay in pretty good shape at planet fitness, like any thing else work with what you got and quit making excuses !!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The main thing with planet fitness is that you can’t train stability. You can load up the smith machines for compounds, bring a dip belt for weighted chins, max out the machines, all of that kind of stuff you could probably build almost any kind of physique. Except more functional/free weight strength.

But the Crunch fitness here is also only $10/month and let’s you use as much free weight as you want while still having all those machines, so I don’t see why anyone into lifting here chooses the local Planet Fitness.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The main thing with planet fitness is that you can’t train stability. You can load up the smith machines for compounds, bring a dip belt for weighted chins, max out the machines, all of that kind of stuff you could probably build almost any kind of physique. Except more functional/free weight strength.

But the Crunch fitness here is also only $10/month and let’s you use as much free weight as you want while still having all those machines, so I don’t see why anyone into lifting here chooses the local Planet Fitness.
Yep, that’s why I said probably the main lifters that it would have the biggest negative impact on would be powerliters and strongmen, because you just get more out of heavy barbell free weights for strength, and both those groups need that stability. But yeah for most of us in society you can build a good physique at Planet Fitness. I just like picking on them and CrossFit, but I’m really not trying to offend others that enjoy either of those. At least they’re training, and at the end of the day we all are just trying to better our physiques , maybe with different goals and outcomes, but it’s far better than being lazy and the out of shape unhealthy alternative.👍

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
LA Fitness was my least favorite gym membership when I was younger. Very good options, like you said, but I hated the atmosphere.
One of my best buddies used to go to LA F. I never went for a visit.
Just looking at the people going in and out made me think of a Hollywood Red Carpet event.
I wasn't interested.
LOL

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar

I'll never forget the first time I used a machine. I thought, "This is great"!
... And it was In A Way...
But I still mainly use free weights.
Machines just aren't the same.