Alternatives to caffeine in preworkout stack?

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Hi folks,

Premise: I’m quite sensitive to caffeine, it affects my sleep if taken too late in the afternoon.
For this reason, in these months I’ve started taking an espresso only at breakfast. Previously I was doing 1 breakfast + 1 lunch.

So far so good, but I have yet to find a good caffeine replacement for post-lunch tiredness... I feel I’m missing something to keep going through all the tasks at work and then at home in the evening.

That being said, I’m starting to working out again and I’m trying to assembly a pre-workout stack. The fact is that I can’t workout in the morning, thus I’ll go to the gym at around 6pm.

Do you think that **TeaCrine** could work? Considering its long half-life, I was thinking about taking it after lunch at about 1:30/2pm in order to be ready when I go to the gym. Would it affect my sleep?

**The rest of my pre-workout stack would be: cordyceps, agmatine, forskolin, taurine.** I’m considering throwing in also an adaptogen, such Rhodiola or PanaMAX or eleuthero, and maybe citrulline in the future.

The other supps I’m taking are: multivitamin, fish oil, Vit D, magnesium malate, grape seed extract, shilajit and boron (cycles).

Thanks!

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Dynamine
Teacrine

and look into nootropics such as Alpha GPC, Choline, L-Tyrosine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Huperzine A

to name a few

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Dynamine
Teacrine

and look into nootropics such as Alpha GPC, Choline, L-Tyrosine, Acetyl L-Carnitine, Huperzine A

to name a few
Thanks man. Which dosage of teacrine? If I take at 1:30pm would it be still effective when I go to the gym at 6pm?
Is it necessary to combine alpha GPC with Vit E and a B complex?

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Thanks man. Which dosage of teacrine? If I take at 1:30pm would it be still effective when I go to the gym at 6pm?
Is it necessary to combine alpha GPC with Vit E and a B complex?
You could try various doses to see how YOU respond. What works for one may not always work the other in a non-stim environment (with no caffeine).

As far would be effective if you don't train till 6 that is a trial and experiment situation. Again it may vary from person to person. If you want to try taking it at 1:30 and see how you feel at 6 go for it. You can also try dosing later towards 6 pm for your gym session so you see the benefit out of it and how you respond.

It is really too much of a black and white question that has no true answer based on what you experience. Anything we give you as far as times and dosings are just suggestions

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Dynamine and Teacrine. I like Teacrine doses over 100mg. Also 100 to 200 mg of Theobromine.

faxmulder

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Dynamine and Teacrine. I like Teacrine doses over 100mg. Also 100 to 200 mg of Theobromine.
Thanks mate, If I take teacrine at 1:30pm will it be still available when I go to the gym at 6:30pm?
Do you use forskolin as well?

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Thanks mate, If I take teacrine at 1:30pm will it be still available when I go to the gym at 6:30pm?
In theory, it should be, there’s about a six hour half life. It will still be circulating in your system. I wouldn’t notice it, however, doesn’t seem to do too much for me, nor do I notice it to last as long as it’s claimed too.

Depends on your body. How sleepy are you at 6:30? I used to work out with a friend after work and 9 times out of 10 I had enough energy without a pre. Now with early morning workouts I’m ready to sleep by then. Oh well. Try it and see how you feel

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Probably take around 3 or 4 pm. Then take dynamine at about 6pm. Both Teacrine and Dynamine are more forgiving when you want to sleep than caffeine. Never used forskolin before.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Supposedly theacrine and dynamine don’t negatively affect sleep. That said, they work on the same systems as caffeine (dopamine/adenosine), so I wouldn’t be surprised if they do. At the end of the day, you’re going to need to experiment for yourself.

Like others said, some nootropics can help especially if it’s mental fatigue you’re dealing with. Adaptogens could be something to try, I think you mentioned rhodiola, that’s one that helps me acutely. Maca works pretty well for me over a longer duration. After taking for several weeks, I tend to have less tiredness overall.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just keep in mind even good non-stim options aren't going to be the same "feel" as caffeine.

You could try Teacrine/Dynamine, I don't find they effect my sleep.

Rhodiola (cognizant of Salidroside amount as it should be the more stimulating component for most) is another possible option.

Some Tyrosine, ALCAR, and a Choline donor (Alpha-GPC/Citicoline) may be worth a try or just something like Caffeine Free Focus XT.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Teacrine works well for this situation on paper, but you'll have to play around with it to see if it is a suitable replacement. I dont personally think it would last until 6pm if taken at 1pm or 2pm, but it might for you.

A good option could be just using a non-stim pre workout or something like caffeine free focus XT for that stimulation in the afternoon. Focus XT was made for this kinda stuff after all

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
A good option could be just using a non-stim pre workout or something like caffeine free focus XT for that stimulation in the afternoon. Focus XT was made for this kinda stuff after all
This! Just go for a non-stim option that focuses on pump.