Alternating Volume and low rep training

Kurono

Awards
Have you guys tried alternating volume training for like 3 weeks (or moderate volume) and then going to heavy weights (5 reps, 5 sets).
My guess is that this might be more effective than sticking to one all the way through, but I'd like to know your experiences, thanks.

amarula

Awards
I guess it could work, once you stick with the main big lifts and maybe rotate between those protocols each week or 2 weeks max

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is there a specific purpose/goal you are looking for?

Most (at least PL and power/strength programs) have higher rep (if that is what you mean by volume?) in the iso or assistance exercise dept. or side of the routine.
Standard 5x5 routines, (Starr or maybe Rippetoes) say for the big 5-7 compounds, have you hitting some volume by doing them 2-3 times per week perhaps. Maybe a HML set up, if you are say BPing or squatting 2x-3x per week so you are not grinding 80+%ers, day in day out.
If not, squatting 3x5, then say doing RDL's or leg presses for say 3x8-10 are giving many trainees the best of both worlds.
Volume per se, rep totals, as 2x5=10 is less volume than 5x5=25.
It sounds like you are speaking more of intensity waving or something!?

Standard programs/routines are pretty easy to follow and program and can have you tracking progress easily.
The thing to remember, especially for novices and even intermeds, is to not get to mired in small details overlooking prime directives...

Adding weight to the bar especially on the big body compound exercises
Focus and consistency in the gym
Eating enough
Rest recovery

Kurono

Awards
PaulBlack: The goal is hypertrophy. Though right now i'm on a cutting diet, I just thought periodization sounds like a great idea in theory. I know that high intensity closer to 80% 1RM increases size for different fibers than volume, so why not hit them all? Not in one workout, but 3 week basis. Unless u think its best to hit them all in one day.

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
There are many ways to skin this cat. Periodization is one of them, but imo you need a longer duration of each to really see any appreciable results. Something like 8-12 weeks of one followed by the same of the other and vise versa.

Or, you can do one at the beginning of the week followed by the other at the end of the week. This is like Layne Norton's PHAT system. It works really well and provides good variety during your week.

The third method is doing them all in a single workout and this is my preference. My first exercise is follows a strength scheme of some sort usually 531. Then, I pick 4-6 auxiliary exercises for 3-5 sets each with 30-90s rest between each set. Reps stay in the 10-15 range for those sets.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Superman's answer works well enough for me and...

The third method is doing them all in a single workout and this is my preference. My first exercise is follows a strength scheme of some sort usually 531. Then, I pick 4-6 auxiliary exercises for 3-5 sets each with 30-90s rest between each set. Reps stay in the 10-15 range for those sets.
Although I do not do specifically 5/3/1 (did his first version years ago) I too do my heavy lower rep work and then higher rep assistance and maybe iso work. It has worked very well for me for absolute years now.

And, hypertrophy/size overall mass gains, are going to have a direct relation to how much food you are getting, along with the hard work in the gym.
I never really trained specifically, for each or other fiber type(s) and really don't think it matters all that much if you are, as I said earlier...

Adding weight to the bar especially on the big body compound exercises
Focus and consistency in the gym
Eating enough
Rest recovery

amarula

Awards
There are many ways to skin this cat. Periodization is one of them, but imo you need a longer duration of each to really see any appreciable results. Something like 8-12 weeks of one followed by the same of the other and vise versa.

Or, you can do one at the beginning of the week followed by the other at the end of the week. This is like Layne Norton's PHAT system. It works really well and provides good variety during your week
Good post. Other option is wave periodization: 2 weeks low reps, 2 weeks volume

Kurono

Awards
That what I was talking about, wave periodization!

Anyways more than one way to skin a cat and it seems all of these ways will work. Good to hear!
Good post. Other option is wave periodization: 2 weeks low reps, 2 weeks volume

supermanjow

supermanjow

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, since you had brought it up already that's why I didn't mention it. But I've also found that longer periods were more beneficial to me than waves

PILL

Awards
Or, you can do one at the beginning of the week followed by the other at the end of the week. This is like Layne Norton's PHAT system. It works really well and provides good variety during your week.
This. I was about to mention Norton's PHAT training. I love being able to do strength and hypertrophy training in the same week. It's also beneficial, because it's difficult to get big without being strong and vice versa. I also like doing it during a cut, because I can still see strength gains from CNS and PNS improvements.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
PaulBlack: The goal is hypertrophy. Though right now i'm on a cutting diet, I just thought periodization sounds like a great idea in theory. I know that high intensity closer to 80% 1RM increases size for different fibers than volume, so why not hit them all? Not in one workout, but 3 week basis. Unless u think its best to hit them all in one day.
Anywhere form 3-8 weeks is a good amount of time to dedicate to one training emphasis, the more experienced you are the less time you spend in each block (generally)

Kurono

Awards
Ok Braskibra, yeah 3-4 weeks was my plan anyhow. Thanks!