Alright guys squat stance.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
So I have slightly wider than shoulder width stance on squats, hits quads but not nearly as much as about a couple inches more narrow, my quads are lacking but I gotta down the weight like 30 lbs what do I do? I really don’t wanna drop my ego but I think ima have to. Or can I do 3 sets of each every leg workout. 3 sets wide 3 sets narrow lower weighf

Last edited:
New guy

New guy

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Not tryna be rude or anything but I believe this would fit better in the training forum compared to the anabolic forum, maybe a moderator can help move it. Not certain though. But on to answer your question, its very common for lifters to add in variations to hit certain muscle groups. You could do half wide and half narrow every day or wide stance one day and narrow the next. Its perfectly normal to have a training split like this. Accessories can also help with quad development.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Not tryna be rude or anything but I believe this would fit better in the training forum compared to the anabolic forum, maybe a moderator can help move it. Not certain though. But on to answer your question, its very common for lifters to add in variations to hit certain muscle groups. You could do half wide and half narrow every day or wide stance one day and narrow the next. Its perfectly normal to have a training split like this. Accessories can also help with quad development.
Apologies, wrong section. And also I’m doing leg extensions as well already

boooosted

boooosted

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Since quads are the bread and butter of leg day just do whatever is comfortable for you with your stance, but don't let ego get in the way of the weight. I pretty much always squat with a slightly wide stance because it feels better on my knees and hips. I do leg presses, front squats, cable squats with more of a narrow stance. Like the new guy said above, variations will help a lot.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You could also not think of squats as a quad exercise but more of a way to give your body a systemic load, as its one the exercises you can move the most weight on. Then do exercises specific for you quads afterwards. For me, all kinds of lunges have always been a killer for quads. Bulgarian split squats are the worst, but in a good way.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Thank you awesome responses and insanely helpful. I just was/am
Fearful that if my stance is slightly too wide I’ll miss out in quads completely from squats but that doesn’t sound the case now

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
And also I’m doing leg extensions as well already
While there are different theories on leg extension machines, I would highly suggest avoiding them. Most people would agree it’s setting yourself up for knee injury. While the risk can be reduced with proper positioning and manipulatiion of the concentric to eccentric ratio, overall it’s just not worth it IMO..

I injured my right knee last summer after thoughtlessly incorporating leg extensions into my routine last spring with proper form. By mid-late summer, I injured my patellar tendon and am still battling with rehabilitation of that.

lvft1213

Awards
  • First Up Vote
While there are different theories on leg extension machines, I would highly suggest avoiding them. Most people would agree it’s setting yourself up for knee injury. While the risk can be reduced with proper positioning and manipulatiion of the concentric to eccentric ratio, overall it’s just not worth it IMO..

I injured my right knee last summer after thoughtlessly incorporating leg extensions into my routine last spring with proper form. By mid-late summer, I injured my patellar tendon and am still battling with rehabilitation of that.
**** sorry to hear that, I’m just going to take it easy with them i think .I really like that exercise

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I wouldn't sweat the stance other than occasionally changing it up if you feel like it.

For the most part hitting a squat to full depth with whatever squat allows you to maximize that ROM and weight used is going to be better than trying pick a perfect stance just to target the quads. Everyone will probably have variations in optimal stance anyways.

Just hit your squats and then target quads specifically via other isolations if it seems an issue.

Meh. They are fine for the majority of people who properly load, use proper form, and follow a structured plan (like most anything). No need to fear monger an exercise.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
**** sorry to hear that, I’m just going to take it easy with them i think .I really like that exercise
Thanks. I liked them too until I didn’t 😁
I wasn’t doing a crazy amount of weight and stayed in the moderate rep range. Technique/form was spot on too. It’s up to you, but I at least wanted to give you a heads up to avoid being in my situation.