Albany Georgia Strongman Gym?

S

StoneMountain

Awards
Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,
I will be moving (hopefully) to Albany, Georgia within the next year, so I was hoping to start looking into my gym options. I recently got into Strongman, but have yet to compete (though I plan to in May in Columbus, GA, even though I can’t really train the events currently). I was hoping for some insight from people who live and train there or just someone who has trained there. Thanks guys

J

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Been there once for a job interview. I wouldn’t expect a wide variety of gyms there. I’d be surprised if they had something like that, but I could be wrong.

S

StoneMountain

Awards
That’s what I’m afraid of lol. I’ve tried doing my research online, but I’ve only come up short. Hoping someone local there could fill me in. Or at least somewhere relatively close that I could train events every other weekend.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you cannot find a gym (rare), you will need to either network to find a crew that has some implements within driving distance (this can often be 2-3 hours one way) that you can train with at least a couple a month, or you need to buy a few things to train at your apartment/home or out of a storage facility.

If you are training in your driveway/apartment lot, buy sandbags and empty kegs from liquor stores that you can fill with sand to whatever weight you need. These can be used to build your carries, medley endurance, and loading strength (for them and atlas stones). You also must get some cheap farmers handles - grip is in every contest, and this builds frame and static holds as well. You also need a cheap log, as logpress is the most common press event in Strongman and both the neutral grip and awkward clean must be trained, plus a few used weight plates off Craigslist. Old tires make great crashpads. Last you need to procure a collapsible yoke, one you can take apart into a few pieces for storage inbetween use. The yoke is in every national contest and most shows, and having one will also let you set a bar height to do your loading over, as well as Conan’s carries.

Later on you can try to add things as money and space allow, like a circus Db, stones, an axle, a Husafell stone, but the home essentials you must train are: farmers, yoke, log, and something to load & carry. Deadlifting can be done in the gym.