Age to slow down?

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
How do you deal with people your own age who think you should 'ease up' with your workout? I'm 44, and workout every other day. Weights and calisthenics for about 1hr to 1.5, but HARD. More volume then weight and lots of HITT.

I don't do everything I use to do. When something hurts, I pull back. I don't lift as heavy but I still lift moderately heavy. I tend to do about 10 rounds with 6 different movements per rounds. Normally a weighted workout, take a day off then an unweighted day,. day off and repeat.

I personally think it's fine and just think people are trapped and limiyed by their own mind. However, enough people seem to think I think I am still 20 and need to chill.

What do you guys think? Anyone else deal with this?

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Sounds like you got a good handle on it man...

What kinda shape are “these people” in telling you to ‘chill’ ? Where’s their strength level at ?

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you got a good handle on it man...

What kinda shape are “these people” in telling you to ‘chill’ ? Where’s their strength level at ?
Most recent was a slightly older guy in good shape, but has had a lot of surgerys and keeps injuring himself. Another works out, but recently had a surgery as well. IDK, maybe their recent injuries are freaking them out

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m close to your age and I’m still chasing PR’s and my dad is 62 and he still benches 400, age is just a number, it’s no reason to slow down, it’s just another excuse ppl like to use to justify to themselves why they can’t hang.

Keep doing your thing!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Most recent was a slightly older guy in good shape, but has had a lot of surgerys and keeps injuring himself. Another works out, but recently had a surgery as well. IDK, maybe their recent injuries are freaking them out
I mean honestly, it sounds like the first guy doesn’t know what he’s doing and the second maybe not either.

There’s training, with a plan and progression and then there’s ‘working out with no rhyme or reason + ego lifting with improper form’ which is why people get hurt...I wouldn’t let these guys influence ya!

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I’m close to your age and I’m still chasing PR’s and my dad is 62 and he still benches 400, age is just a number, it’s no reason to slow down, it’s just another excuse ppl like to use to justify to themselves why they can’t hang.

Keep doing your thing!
Agree

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established

Keep doing your thing!
Funny you said you're still chasing PR's, and the past month I've been breaking several PRs. Did 20 clean pull-ups, I'm able to do weighted pull-ups for the 45 around my waist for five reps. Also pulled off the human flag pole.

I think I just let a couple people that don't know how to take care of their bodies get into my head. I'm just going to dismiss them because they're idiots.

Datsun280z

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Your good.
Other people get intimidated or jealous or just don’t understand healthy aging. At 44 you should have joint pain, limited mobility, a belly and eat like ****, then you would fit in.....you don’t want to fit in.

Keep going. Keep pushing. We are getting older but as long as we listen to our bodies and aren’t injuring ourselves keep moving forward. It’s the only way to have a quality of life at 80.

My goal is to be able to play with and keep up with my future grandkids like I do with my kids today

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

Keep doing your thing!
damn, your dad is killing it...i just turned 62 and don't lift nearly as heavy as i once did due to arthritis, but i lift 4 times a week and run 3-7 miles on a very regular basis. i have no plans on slowing down anymore than i absolutlely have to.

stock28

Awards
  • Established
55 years old and still train 4 days a week just as in the last 30 years. Still lift as heavy as ever did just have to know when to back off and how to work around sore joints which occasionally happens. Never give into age as it creeps up on you fast. Train smart and listen to your body.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I really do not care what other people think, with a few exceptions.

Just like an anus, everyone has an opinion. Just as you need to really make sure that someone really and truly needs to see your anus before you show it to them, likewise - you need to really make sure that someone needs your opinion and would be receptive to it, prior to giving it. Most of the people who offer their opinion fail to understand this.

In psychological terms this is called the anus/opinion paradox.

So, if someone likes or dislikes what I choose to do, I truly do not care - because - for the most if I wanted someone to comment on my course of action, I would ask them. And because I did not, it should suggest that I value their opinion as much as I would value an offer for them to show me their anus.

See how this works?

Think of it this way: If someone thinks you should slow down (and they are so self centered that they think they should tell you - as if their opinion mattered), you could very easily counter their opinion with an equally valid (to you) opinion that, "no, you should speed up".

Is that an issue that warrants one party showing the other his anus?

No. But to avoid confrontation seems childish, so maybe a befuddled look while stating "Why would you even say something like that?" This would make them realize that you do not value their opinion more highly than you value your own opinion. Then you could say "You know, there is this guy on this forum I read and he recently said something about this anus/opinion paradox thing, and because I am sure you are familiar with it, there really isn't any need for us to discuss it further, but thank you just the same".

The exceptions: If someone is about to make a truly tragic decision (most of which are immoral - say, like cheating on his wife), or if someone is about to do something that could cause them harm (like tearing down a load bearing wall or driving drunk) then we are obligated to tell them the truth (as softly as possible without sugar coating it), even if that ruins the relationship. The only other exception - I do care, very much, if I have offended someone by saying or doing something offensive, intentionally of otherwise. Then I care deeply and do everything possible to make restitution. That is another good reason to reserve offering your opinion to those few times that it really matters.

Now be forewarned: Everything is different if this is a relationship with women. I caution you that if a female with whom you are in a relationship endeavors to give you her opinion, it is NOT GOOD to say "can't you just show me your anus instead?".

Trust me on this.

Last edited:

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
damn, your dad is killing it...i just turned 62 and don't lift nearly as heavy as i once did due to arthritis, but i lift 4 times a week and run 3-7 miles on a very regular basis. i have no plans on slowing down anymore than i absolutlely have to.
Yeah my dad is unreal, he might be a mutant actually, always been insanely strong. It’s annoying because it’s super hard to catch up to him. But, it looks like you’re doing a great job as well, great to hear!

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Take those opinions with a grain of salt... You've been doing this long enough to know when it's time to push it and when it's time to back off. That's the beauty of years of experience. Part of me thinks that people who are saying "slow down" are either unwilling or unable to do the work. Maybe a bit of jealousy??? As for me, I'm 56 and 5 weeks post-op knee replacement. Been in the home gym every other day. My PT gave me the green light, but I've heard from a few people that I should "take it easy". There's plenty I can still do along with body weight squats! Point is, if you think you can't, you won't.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I am 62 years old and work out 6 days a week, I was my strongest in my 50's, you are way to young to slow down !!

dillface02241

dillface02241

Awards
  • First Up Vote
No need to slow down, i'm 47 and in the best shape of my life. While I might not lift as heavy as I used to, everything else is pretty much the same. On many a day, people have come up to me and ask about my routine and I do get the "hold old are you?" quite a bit. They think i'm in my 30's, all good tho.

AnabolicPitbull

Awards
  • First Up Vote
IMHO if you consistently trained over your lifetime there should be no reason to stop.
Now asking someone in their 40s to start a workout routine consisting of heavy lifts like bench, squat, and deadlift could break them like a stick if they never did vigorous excercise.
My mother is 60 something and asked me if she can get in shape with dumbbells (80 pounds, no physical training, anorexic)... had to tell her her frail bones wont fare well, among other things.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
IMHO if you consistently trained over your lifetime there should be no reason to stop.
Now asking someone in their 40s to start a workout routine consisting of heavy lifts like bench, squat, and deadlift could break them like a stick if they never did vigorous excercise.
My mother is 60 something and asked me if she can get in shape with dumbbells (80 pounds, no physical training, anorexic)... had to tell her her frail bones wont fare well, among other things.
this works both ways...this is coming from a 62 year old guy who has been lifting and athletic all his life...wear and tear and old injuries can really haunt you as you get older.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
this works both ways...this is coming from a 62 year old guy who has been lifting and athletic all his life...wear and tear and old injuries can really haunt you as you get older.
But you still don't stop !!!!!!!!!!!!!

nightshift

nightshift

Awards
Wear and tear and old injuries... The Evil Mistress twins of years under the bar. There can be and often is a price to pay for playing this game. But we continue to do it anyway. And let me tell you, there's nothing like Old Man strength!!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wear and tear and old injuries... The Evil Mistress twins of years under the bar. There can be and often is a price to pay for playing this game. But we continue to do it anyway. And let me tell you, there's nothing like Old Man strength!!!
Old Man Strength! Don't Mess With Me Kid !!

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I always forget how many amazing older guys we have on this site. I’m gonna be 42 and looking better than I did in my 20’s. Just a little harder to lose fat but that comes with the territory of getting older. Keep doing your thing and just be weary of injuries.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you deal with people your own age who think you should 'ease up' with your workout? I'm 44, and workout every other day. Weights and calisthenics for about 1hr to 1.5, but HARD. More volume then weight and lots of HITT.

I don't do everything I use to do. When something hurts, I pull back. I don't lift as heavy but I still lift moderately heavy. I tend to do about 10 rounds with 6 different movements per rounds. Normally a weighted workout, take a day off then an unweighted day,. day off and repeat.

I personally think it's fine and just think people are trapped and limiyed by their own mind. However, enough people seem to think I think I am still 20 and need to chill.

What do you guys think? Anyone else deal with this?
I think it sounds like you are being smart about it and based on what you wrote, is a recipe for a long term plan. I am 46 and admittedly, go harder than maybe most people would think I should, but I am not most people, so that's okay. I am very similar to you in the gym, but I still snowboard 30 days a season and DH mtn bike all summer, so it is to stay in shape for my activities.

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
I think it sounds like you are being smart about it and based on what you wrote, is a recipe for a long term plan. I am 46 and admittedly, go harder than maybe most people would think I should, but I am not most people, so that's okay. I am very similar to you in the gym, but I still snowboard 30 days a season and DH mtn bike all summer, so it is to stay in shape for my activities.
I'm a huge MTB guy. I've been riding for 20 plus years, hit up the DH parked all the time and raced the Mid Atlantic Super Serious (Enduro) last year. I still break out my snowboard a couple times a season :) heck, I'm kicking around the idea of entering some Spartan races or Xfit competitions, but the lack of form and CrossFit makes me cringe as a calisthenics guy haha

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a huge MTB guy. I've been riding for 20 plus years, hit up the DH parked all the time and raced the Mid Atlantic Super Serious (Enduro) last year. I still break out my snowboard a couple times a season :) heck, I'm kicking around the idea of entering some Spartan races or Xfit competitions, but the lack of form and CrossFit makes me cringe as a calisthenics guy haha
Nice! I raced the BME this year, my first DH/enduro race this year. Thought I was beyond racing at this point but had the time of my life and found I am still pretty fast. Lol.

BTW- don't even sweat the Spartan or Tough Mudder type stuff, I do those every year for fun and a goal to train for. You don't need any form of any kind, just the ability to jog 10 miles and then enough upper body strength for obstacle. My wife has done it with me the last 3 years.

Last edited:
Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
You are only as old as you act !!

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
Nice! I raced the BME this year, my first DH/enduro race this year. Thought I was beyond racing at this point but had the time of my life and found I am still pretty fast. Lol.

BTW- don't even sweat the Spartan or Tough Mudder type stuff, I do those every year for fun and a goal to train for. You don't need any form of any kind, just the ability to jog 10 miles and then enough upper body strength for obstacle. My wife has done it with me the last 3 years.
I can do 20 pull-ups, so I guess I'm ready haha

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm knocking on 49 and there's no quit in me!! I ride my mountain bike 3-5x a week, and lift just as much! I get the same feedback from my friends and coworkers. They're all sitting back, watching my gopro videos, wishing they could do it.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Be "That Guy"

joe123!

joe123!

Awards
  • Established
I'm knocking on 49 and there's no quit in me!! I ride my mountain bike 3-5x a week, and lift just as much! I get the same feedback from my friends and coworkers. They're all sitting back, watching my gopro videos, wishing they could do it.
Too funny, I post up the same stuff. Anytime I hit up an epic park I got to get that Go-Pro clip! Another topic, but Go-Pro 9 is on sale for $350 right now!