Advice for quick food

Jbtwentytwo

Jbtwentytwo

Awards
I just became a nurse and working 12 hour shifts. Constantly walking around during my shift.. I probably average 5-6 miles in a shift. My strength and weight has took a dip since I started which is very frustrating. Anyone got any suggestions on quick easy food I can literally just down during my shift periodically?

DaveMcNaul

DaveMcNaul

Awards
  • Established
A sandwich with a good bread.
Breast chicken, cheese, avocado, tomato, lettuce, vinagrete..

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
A sandwich with a good bread.
Breast chicken, cheese, avocado, tomato, lettuce, vinagrete..
I'm gonna further this by saying use wraps. It's easier to walk around and do stuff holding a wrap than it is to hold a sandwich.

Protein bars and granola bars (the high protein ones)

You could also bring a protein shake to work with you that's already pre-made with some peanut butter and banana in it. Two scoops away one cup of milk one banana 2 tablespoon of peanut butter. That gives you over 600 calories and 75 g of protein. Pour it over ice in a shaker cup and take it to work with you it'll be good a couple hours later nice and cold and the water from the melting ice will thin it out a little bit

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Sometimes I get stuck doing these jobs that involves four to five hours of driving per day and grilled chicken wraps take the place of all my normal chicken and rice or meat rice and vegetable meals. It's real easy for me to eat a wrap while I'm driving my car., I'm not huge on protein bars and protein shakes I'd rather people eat real food but if you're in a scenario where it's the only option then I guess it's the only option and it's better than nothing

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A few quick snacks I make a lot is tuna salad, egg salad or chicken salad. I use mayo, Dijon mustard, chopped onions and chopped celery in the tuna and chicken salad. Eat it with Melba chips. Quick to make and quick to eat.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I just became a nurse and working 12 hour shifts. Constantly walking around during my shift.. I probably average 5-6 miles in a shift. My strength and weight has took a dip since I started which is very frustrating. Anyone got any suggestions on quick easy food I can literally just down during my shift periodically?
Shakes will be your best friend. Even if you have to blend some whole food and drink it, that is ultimately better than not getting it in at all. I like doing wraps with rice and chicken in them. Simple with a good amount of carbs and protein. A whole wheat bagel with chicken and almond butter on it is another go to for me.

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
how tightly do you track macros or do you track at all, also what are your training goals? specifically with regards to body composition?

Some suggestions would be:

Meal Prep (pre-measured foods you can pack in a Tupperware and eat on the go / at a desk) i.e. cooked chicken, vegetables, carb source etc

Starkist Salmon / tuna Creations + packable easy-to-eat veggies. Carrots, cuces etc. + Uncle bens easy / quick 1-minute microwave rice, bagels, rice cakes etc.

Jerky

Dried Mushroom / Kale chips etc. don't need refrigeration and have preservatives. Basically hydrated vegetables are convenient like chips.

Protein shakes / RTD. Labrada Lean Body, Jocko Molk, Ghost. all are very tasty, open and drink easy. Dont require refrigeration even though are better cold.

Hbbhhbbh

Awards
  • Best Answer
Im not a nurse but a care assistant doing 12 hour night shifts in a nursing home and apart from a hours paperwork on my ass I’m on the move 11 hours of that so I know your struggle.

I’ll be honest I’ve not found a good way of doing it, no appetite until half way through the shift and cleaning the Residents bowel movements is not exactly an appetite builder so I take a 50g shake with milk, fruit and flavoured rice cakes and eat when I can then in the morning when I get home have a massive meal. On my days off I play catch up and have more structured meals.

uncle-rico

Awards
For that purpose I really like the Real Carbs + Protein by 5% Nutrition. I also use the Huel Shake sometimes, it's a cheaper vegan option, but not so tasty.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If sheer calories are an issue, peanut butter (they make it pre-packaged in little cups, or you can pack PBJs) & trail mix or nuts require no refrigeration and are easy to overconsume on the go. Fruit, dried fruit, cliffbars, powdered carbs (like blended oats in your shake) are all portable carb ideas.

If refrigeration is available, sandwiches/wraps as mentioned, pre-peeled hardboiled eggs, as mentioned all good options. Blended chicken and rice shakes if you’re hardcore but these suck cold. If no refrigeration, tuna pouches, shakes, jerky can help fill gaps, but there’s never been a field job I was on where I wasn’t allowed to pack a cooler/lunchbox with icepack.

Sometimes you just have to stand and scarf a cold meal here and there.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Protein shakes / RTD. Labrada Lean Body, Jocko Molk, Ghost. all are very tasty, open and drink easy. Dont require refrigeration even though are better cold.
Those Ghost RTDs are pretty tasty regardless :LOL:

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
more importantly get your 3 big meals in ( breakfast lunch dinner ) sprinkled in with bars/shakes, your fav snacks